4.0 oil leak solutions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4.0 oil leak solutions

Changed the oil on my 95 Wrangler the other day. Seems like oil is everywhere. What are you guys doing to keep these engines dry. if you say V8 swap, I already have plans in the near future, but for the coming year what are a few solutions to cleaning this engine up. I was thinking oil pan gasket and valve cover gasket... any others?
    1950 Willys Trail Rig
    2007.5 Dodge 2500 QCSB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 4x4

use a funnel in all seriousness that would be a good place to start. cant tell where its coming from?
    Watch your backhoe, I'm the John Deere man.

Comment

I have done tons of valve cover gaskets, a lot of the time I find the oil filter adapter leaking also. Those seem to be the 2 biggest I have encountered.
      Dan.
      2000 XJ, BJ 60 front, welded, 5.13's, 3 link, ruffstuff heims. D70 rear, detroit, 5.13's, discs. stretched. trail ready beadlocks. 39" Red labels. 4:1 Klune V-drive/D20, PSC full hydro

http://www.facebook.com/people/Dan-M...00000913365979
      www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

valve cover gasket, oil pressure sender, and rear main seal have been my problem spots
        No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
        Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Originally posted by JeepBabiiXJ View Post
          valve cover gasket, oil pressure sender, and rear main seal have been my problem spots
          oh yeah thats what i wanted to mention, oil pressure sender. ive changed my oil before and nicked it a tiny bit with the oil filter wrench and it was just enough not to spray everywhere, but i lost about 1.5 quarts in 2 weeks i changed my oil, and the sender and i was good to go.
          Watch your backhoe, I'm the John Deere man.

Comment

Originally posted by Trailer Ray View Post
            use a funnel in all seriousness that would be a good place to start. cant tell where its coming from?
            lol, I do use one ya jackwagon. Some of what I put in ever so carefully comes out over time. Not enough to raise much concern (1-1.5 qts per oil change) or even leave an oil spot. The engine looks as though the valve cover gasket maybe leaking and the oil just cascades down onto everything, or other stuff is leaing also. Basically my plan was to order some gaskets for the fairly easy/problimatic stuff, and put them in next time I do an oil change on a warm weekend and hope it cleans it up.
            1950 Willys Trail Rig

Comment

Originally posted by ct67_72 View Post
              I have done tons of valve cover gaskets, a lot of the time I find the oil filter adapter leaking also. Those seem to be the 2 biggest I have encountered.
              Originally posted by JeepBabiiXJ View Post
              Originally posted by Trailer Ray View Post
              oh yeah thats what i wanted to mention, oil pressure sender. ive changed my oil before and nicked it a tiny bit with the oil filter wrench and it was just enough not to spray everywhere, but i lost about 1.5 quarts in 2 weeks i changed my oil, and the sender and i was good to go.
              Sounds good, did not know about the oil pressure sender I will look at that. Thanks for the replies
              1950 Willys Trail Rig

Comment

I love my oil leaks, slows down the rotting of my frame. My rear main leaks, quarter size puddle after a few days, all its been doing is sitting lately too. Other then that my 95 is pretty tight.

Comment

If you let it leak enough...eventually it will stop.

I'm no help, I know.
                  sigpic
                  Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
                    If you let it leak enough...eventually it will stop.

I'm no help, I know.

That's my theory with my diffs
                    No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                    Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Originally posted by OWEN View Post
                      ya jackwagon
                      2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
                      MK2 Jetta > M3
                      Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

when i had my yj...it used to leak out real bad ...then i changed the valve cover gasket and started using 10w30 and lucas additve and it never leaked again...
                        99 XJ on tons and 40s....

Comment

it's a bitch to get right but usually people don't torque down the two rear bolts on the valve cover and it will seep out there making you think it's a rear main seal
                          1992 xj Briarwood
                          Disconnect d30 5.13 Super 35 kit 5.13 36x14x18 TSL's
                          Welded front and rear
                          13' LED roof lights
                          Disco ball
                          Truck nuts
                          Spinners

Comment

Originally posted by OWEN View Post
                            lol, I do use one ya jackwagon. Some of what I put in ever so carefully comes out over time. Not enough to raise much concern (1-1.5 qts per oil change) or even leave an oil spot. The engine looks as though the valve cover gasket maybe leaking and the oil just cascades down onto everything, or other stuff is leaing also. Basically my plan was to order some gaskets for the fairly easy/problimatic stuff, and put them in next time I do an oil change on a warm weekend and hope it cleans it up.
                            If it is leaking that much then it should be easy to figure out where it is coming from.

If you are doing an oil pan gasket do the rear main at the same time, only an extra 15min from there.

But I don't understand why couldn't find the leak? Brake clean air hose clean it off and drive it. Could be more than one spot.

Also check the PCV vent is not clogged. just blow air through it you will brake it if you try to take it off.

And buy the good gaskets not the stupid cork ones they never last
                            RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                            www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                            Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

X2 on buying the good gaskets.. Also Id bet the orings are shot on your oil filter adapter which can be a PITA to get off... Its a 4.0 its probably going to keep leaking no matter what you do...
                              89XJ Pioneer Edition 3.5" 33s ravines 4:10s 8.8- parted but not forgotten
                              95XJ tons 3 link 36s 5:38s
                              97 F-250HD 7.3 Turbo Diesel
                              If Parts Ain't Flyin' you Ain't Tryin'

"Shut up and Wheel"

Comment

Working...
                              X