hurray for rust and rot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hurray for rust and rot

Found some rot under the passenger seat today. This will be my first dealing with a rot issue.

How have some of you handled it? it is about the size of a half dollar i 2 separate spots about 2 feet from each other.

Jon has extensive experience with this, I am sure he will pop in here.

We repaired a bit of rust on my passenger front floor, ended up prepping the whole floor down to bare metal, priming it, and repainting it. I cut out the rust/rot patch and replaced it with sheet metal. The only way to truly get rid of it. Probably had a little under a square foot that needed replacing.
    - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
    or am asians pants not a read end lol.
    Originally posted by DizzDizz
    aliens probed my husband

Comment

try and check everywhere if you can, from inside the vehicle. alot of times you cant see it from underneath. whatever is bad/missing, grind down/cut out, replace with new sheet metal. hopefully its not too bad and you can just put some patches here and there. my floors dont exist and ill be replacing them soon.
      Watch your backhoe, I'm the John Deere man.

Comment

I had 2 small rust ones the size of a quarter and claened them and covered them with JB weld and it's heldup great but I plan on cutting the rust out and patchin it with sheetmetal because like will had said thats the only real way to get rid of it. It's just like cancer, if you dont get rid of all of it it will come back eventually..

Comment

Honestly a great cheap ass way to do it is get a knotted wire wheel (must be knotted, not crimped) for a grinder and just grind from top and bottom around the rot until there is no more rot then pop some sheet metal on top and secure with some pop rivets or tons of tiny self tappers then use auto seam sealer all around the edge of the metal and coat with paint. Probably cost you around $50-$60 to buy all that but it will last you for more repairs so one will run only around $20. But the best way is to cut it 100% out and then weld on a patch.
          Jeeps don't get stuck ... they just take a nap when they are tired of being awesome
          93 2DR XJ 8" lift D30/D44 4.56's 35" MTRs IRO Y-link Build:http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9658
          Eric

Comment

just cut out a small square where the rust is an screw a small square of metal from an old road sign over it and use liquid nail to seal it. works well enough as a quick fix for a small hole. check the rest of your floor too. tear up the carpet and bedline to protect it.

Comment

what gauge sheet metal should be used when replacing?

Comment

unless you plan on welding it do not use sheetmetal with poprivets, it'll "grow" to a bigger size evetually and you'll be right back to square 1.

Comment

leave the hole for drainage
                  94 xj 4.0L, AW4, 242
                  3" rusty's lift, 33x12.5 bfg km2's, custom front bumper

Comment

anywhere between 20 and 14 depending on how strong you want it. I used 16 but it was a bit of overkill, harder to bend but it still turnout out good. I might do 18 if I had to do it again.
                    Jeeps don't get stuck ... they just take a nap when they are tired of being awesome
                    93 2DR XJ 8" lift D30/D44 4.56's 35" MTRs IRO Y-link Build:http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9658
                    Eric

Comment

Check out my build thread, it'll give you all the info you need.

http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthr...t=1513&page=14

Page 14, PM me if you have any questions
                      I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

Originally posted by jeepbogger4x4 View Post
                        leave the hole for drainage
                        TJ's come factory with holes in the floor for drainage
                        up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
                        eliminator MJ - Sold
                        99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
                        Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

Originally posted by 1cleantj View Post
                          TJ's come factory with holes in the floor for drainage
                          For holes that small, not like it is a structural problem just drill it out for a plug/grommet if you want it sealed or leave it open to drain.

If you look hard enough you will find OEM plugs.
                          RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                          www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                          Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Working...
                          X