Gearing questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearing questions.

I will be regearing this week pending trading a corvette for my truck. But I have my 4.56's for my 30 and 44 from superior but I just read it and the 44 says 4.55 not 4.56 but the 30 does say 4.56. I have read a little, and I mean little, and I have seen some dodge trucks with 4.56/4.55 gears. I am assuming this means 4.55 in one axle and 4.56 in the other? Also since they are Chryslers too they have Dana axles(the ones I saw). I am also conserened about break in. The 44, right now, has no brake lines and a chipped tooth on the ring gear so I was planning on taking the axles to the shop off the Jeep. I have hear they need to be broken in on a lift but can I simply put it on a shit load of blocks and jack stands making sure to stay in the drivers seat and break it in that way? Appreciate any help in advance.
    Jeeps don't get stuck ... they just take a nap when they are tired of being awesome
    93 2DR XJ 8" lift D30/D44 4.56's 35" MTRs IRO Y-link Build:http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9658
    Eric

4.55 and 4.56 are fine together there.. and ive always done the break in period and heard of it being done while driving the thing..
    95 xj JY 3" 35" truxus mt's

Comment

As long ad the gears are within .01 of eachother you're fine. Ad far ad break in, I ran mine for about 10 min easily letting off/on the breaks while in jacks. Be easy on the street for 500 miles, then change fluid, and don't drive near highway speeds any longer than 30 min at a time.
      God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

It all depends on who you talk to for break in procedures. For me i regeared and then drove 180 miles at freeways speeds literally immediately after install. Most race buggys wont break in before a competition.

Comment

What crosby said. my rear axle had already been driven on for quite some time so they were broken in. The front.... I had setup, put the thing back in, drove to RC, and wheeled it. I think the main thing with a break in period is that you pull the diff cover and change the fluid after like 500 miles cause there will be some crud in there and check the pattern to make sure everything is okay.
          No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
          Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Sweet thanks guys then I'll just plan on breaking them on driving them
            Jeeps don't get stuck ... they just take a nap when they are tired of being awesome
            93 2DR XJ 8" lift D30/D44 4.56's 35" MTRs IRO Y-link Build:http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9658
            Eric

Comment

Working...
            X