Help please! no start issue!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please! no start issue!

Jeep was running fine all day, starting up, off on, everything. I stopped at my parents after work and when I went to leave nothing. All my lights work, radio everything.

I get in, step on the clutch, turn the key and I hear a click from the glove box, and a click from the ignition. HVAC turns off and radio turns off till I let go of key, Lights do not dim, headlights or any interior lights.

I thought it might be the neutral safety switch so I put a fuse in slot # 20, nothing. I tied it to my friends jeep and it pop started right up. Runs mint, I shut it off and nothing again.

I have work tomorrow so it would be awesome if it were something stupid and someone had a simaliar problem.

Thanks!

Click from starter or from something on the column?
    1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
    1999 sierra
    1967 M725 Big and Slow
    -Dan

Comment

No noise from the engine bay what so ever. Just a single click from the glove box, then from behind ignition.

Comment

mine did that when the starter froze up on me
        God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Hit the starter with a big stick. If it starts then it was your starter. If it dosen't then get your starter tested.
          Jeeps don't get stuck ... they just take a nap when they are tired of being awesome
          93 2DR XJ 8" lift D30/D44 4.56's 35" MTRs IRO Y-link Build:http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9658
          Eric

Comment

sounds like a starter/selnoid issue

Comment

steering column where the key meets the ignition pins in the column. They failed on mine. time for a new column. If you open up the relay box under the hood and use a paper clip to jump the relays with the key in the on position you should get it to crank but not start. The fix is to have a new column installed since there is no way to fix the wiring that has failed.

Those are exactly the symptoms mine had.

Comment

You said it is a stick? Does it even have a NSS? It sounds like a start wire issue. Either a fuse, a switch on the clutch, the starter solenoid, or a disconnected or broken wire or connector. I had this happen with my truck once, someone had bypassed the clutch switch with a jumper wire and the wire fell out.

NM I see what fuse 20 is now. But still sounds like the solenoid is not getting power.
                Last edited by Customjob; 01-28-2011, 02:56 PM.
                2 Broncos are better than 1

Comment

Banged the starter with a bfh while trying to start it, nothing.
                  Tried charging the battery nothing.
                  Tried jumping it, nothing.
                  Checked all the fuses, nothing.
                  Checked the powerwire on the solenoid with the key turned and not turned. It's getting power. I'm going to take a guess that it's the starter, my neighbor next door is an older dude that drinks alot and was a GM mechanic for 30 years, he said tomorrow after we pick up his bi weekly keg we'll put it in his garage and replace the starter and see.

Thanks for the replies guys. I hope it's the starter.

Comment

Deff sounds like the starter shit the bed, you can jump the starter relay and apply direct power to the starter and that could let you know for sure.
                    98 Cherokee, D30/8.25 w/4.56s locked F/R -- 3 link front IRO springs rear with shackle relocation, one ton steering w/heims, hybrid cage under contruction, 33'' KM2's

Comment

Took out starter, bench tested it. Worked. Cleaned up terminals cleaned up solenoid wires, reconnected it. nothing. I'm getting voltage to the red wire from the battery but not from the black wire.
                      Checked the relays/fuses, all good.
                      Jumped the NSS with fuse # 20, nothing. took the wire out of the NSS and jumped it from there. Nothing.

My next guess is ignition.

Comment

It's the column...

Comment

Working...
                        X