No announcement yet.

8.8 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no need for shafts in the 8.8 but do it if u feel better having them. My friend Ben broke 3 sets of 4.88 ring and pinions in a d30 due to the small amount of pinion teeth contacting the ring gear(36 in. tsls and a stupid right foot). The ring gear would strip right in that spot. You generally(with any diff) dont want to run the lowest ratio due to this. The 14 boltff is prob the only exception to this rule.

Comment

36" tsl's on a 30 with a heavy foot would have done that to 4.56 too. don't blame the gears for someone running a time bomb for a setup
      I drive a Datsun

Comment

Originally posted by Burton58 View Post
        36" tsl's on a 30 with a heavy foot would have done that to 4.56 too. don't blame the gears for someone running a time bomb for a setup
        doesnt mean there wasnt a greater chance of breaking on 4.88s though

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

I has 4.56 w 35s in the same axle and never broke gears. Ended up blowing the pinion bearing though. I personally dont even recommend locking a d30 if running larger than 33s, just a matter of time imo.

Comment

I know someone that broke 4 sets of 4.88 R&P's on in a HP dana 60 on 39's.

sometimes its just all about how hard you're gonna hammer it, nothing is indestructable.
            Last edited by Zullock Holmes; 01-30-2011, 11:04 AM.
            No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
            Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

The 8.8 i want beefy as can be im going to look into that 8.8 kit. Im deff running 4.88 gears. not going to lock my d30 unless i get the super 30 kit. but i would prefer to save up put a d44 up front and build it. i have cash saved up so i want to build my 8.8 once why its all apart. should i truss the 8.8 ?

Comment

wouldnt hurt any.. but they have pretty beef tubes (3.5") i would most certainly weld the tubes to the center chunk.. they've been known to spin due to only being rosette welded from the factory
                95 xj JY 3" 35" truxus mt's

Comment

IMO I wouldn't get a super 30 kit. It puts the weak point on the ring gear and you cant use any axle shaft from an XJ, ZJ, TJ if you break a shaft. Being locked front and rear is awesome. People who have open front, Zullo, Will, Andrew for example have very simliar set ups to mine and have to use alot more skinny pedal to do the same obstacle that I do with ease because i am locked.
                  -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

i just dont want to lock the front and brake shafts all the time im running 35s now

Comment

Im running 35s too, Ive wheeled prolly 5 times this year with the 35s, doing the harder trails at Rausch and have yet to break anything, its all in how you wheel.
                      -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbike View Post
                        Im running 35s too, Ive wheeled prolly 5 times this year with the 35s, doing the harder trails at Rausch and have yet to break anything, its all in how you wheel.
                        x2 on this

Comment

I like to pedal down alot lol.

Comment

Originally posted by jeepinjosh View Post
                            I like to pedal down alot lol.
                            Not like Caleeeeeeeeebbbb
                            Hench

ATM anyone?

Comment

Working...
                            X