• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8.8 build

so in the process of doing reasearch to build the 8.8

running 4.88 gears.

brackets for the leafs and shocks.

Im looking for shafts unsure of what brand.

locker. most likely a aussie.

any other suggestions with this build ?

Why not just run stock shafts?
    Hench

ATM anyone?

Comment

stock shafts are fine dude. get yourself a Ruff Stuff simple swap kit for the 8.8. and do 4.56. 4.88s have a small pinion for the D30

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

already have 4.88s but i want to make this thing as beefy as possible part of why im doing shafts i figure why not do it right once. im running 35s right now possible want to go 37s in the future if i do a 44 front swap

Comment

Originally posted by jeepinjosh View Post
          already have 4.88s but i want to make this thing as beefy as possible part of why im doing shafts i figure why not do it right once. im running 35s right now possible want to go 37s in the future if i do a 44 front swap
          IMO just leave it how it is and cross that bridge when you need to. Thats a lot of money you dont need to spend right now (seeing as you seem to be on a tight budget, right?) but if you must, look into the super 8.8 kit from superior.

Comment

Originally posted by CumminsJeep View Post
            stock shafts are fine dude. get yourself a Ruff Stuff simple swap kit for the 8.8. and do 4.56. 4.88s have a small pinion for the D30
            Although I have no experience in this... i have yet to see a problem IRL with people we wheel with eating a 4.88 pinion.

JoeNitro broke errything in his thirty EXCEPT his ring and pinion. IIRC someone broke a 4.56 ring and pinion (phil maybe although i wasn't there), so i think think this argument is negligible.

JMHO.

Love,

Jawgsh.
            2013 F150 fx4 (Tow Pig/DD)
            • 5.0 with the 3.73 option

2003 TJ Rubicon
            • 4.0/42rle/np241or
            • 5.13's
            • 3" Savvy/Currie suspension with acos
            • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

add locker and brackets and beat on it
              1991 YJ, 1 tons, locked, lots o armor, stretched, cage

Comment

ruff stuff brackets will be choice if you want to do it right once and have it be strong as hell. i got those for my 8.8 and they were massive when i got them.
                Hack Shack Racing #4632 Jeep TJ

Comment

ive beat on my 8.8 pretty hard welded with stock shafts and no issues so far..
                  but if ur gonna throw down the cash for alloy shafts anyway, i would consider the super 8.8 kit mentioned above so u can eliminate the c-clips
                  95 xj JY 3" 35" truxus mt's

Comment

i agree about the 4.88's

i ran them in a d30 on 35's and had no issues, joe ran the same axle and had no pinion issue. i'm planning on running 4.88's again in a d30 without any hesitation
                    I drive a Datsun

Comment

stock 8.8 shafts are beef. supposedly stronger than 44 shafts, and i can say that in the time i've had my 44. i have landed that thing multiple times under heavy throttle, locked with 35's and its taken it. I mean the splines are twisted some, but nothing rediculous.
                      No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                      Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Ran mine open 30/8.8 with 4.88s locked on 33s and 35s. weld the axle tubes up and get rid of that stupid flange in favor of a yoke.

Comment

Originally posted by SupermanIce-J View Post
                          Although I have no experience in this... i have yet to see a problem IRL with people we wheel with eating a 4.88 pinion.

JoeNitro broke errything in his thirty EXCEPT his ring and pinion. IIRC someone broke a 4.56 ring and pinion (phil maybe although i wasn't there), so i think think this argument is negligible.

JMHO.

Love,

Jawgsh.
                          I agree with you. I have no experience with it either, but the small ring and pinion on a D30 is def a weak link. eventhough the u joints IMO are the weakest link, I would just rather have a stronger ring and pinion but thats just me. and the difference you will feel with 4.56 and 4.88 is most likely not that much different. Just my thoughts

Comment

Originally posted by CumminsJeep View Post
                            but if you must, look into the super 8.8 kit from superior.
                            X2

If you grab the latest CRAWL magazine there is a great article on this kit (as well as a great article on Northest wheeling written by someone on this website!). I would have to say the weakest link in the 8.8 is the fact that it is a C clip axle (or maybe the flange?). This kit eliminates that weak link while adding some stronger shafts.
                            1950 Willys Trail Rig
                            2007.5 Dodge 2500 QCSB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 4x4

Comment

I wouldnt bother with shafts I ran my 8.8 HARD with a welded LSD carrier on 33s never and issue... put a good cover on it though stock one is WEAK SAUCE!!
                              89XJ Pioneer Edition 3.5" 33s ravines 4:10s 8.8- parted but not forgotten
                              95XJ tons 3 link 36s 5:38s
                              97 F-250HD 7.3 Turbo Diesel
                              If Parts Ain't Flyin' you Ain't Tryin'

"Shut up and Wheel"

Comment

Working...
                              X