Such a Thing as "Overcooling"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Such a Thing as "Overcooling"

A while back I got Dave Callahan's trans cooler he was going to put on his Jeep. Anyway, the thing is ment for an RV (ie: its huge). I'm worried now that it will provide too much cooling. Can that also hurt the tranny? Would it be better to install this one and have it potentially over cool the tranny or just leave the stock cooler in?
    I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

would it look huge to a normal sized person?
    1992 xj Briarwood
    Disconnect d30 5.13 Super 35 kit 5.13 36x14x18 TSL's
    Welded front and rear
    13' LED roof lights
    Disco ball
    Truck nuts
    Spinners

Comment

Overcooling is better than overheating.
      sigpic
      Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
        Overcooling is better than overheating.
        This, really if you find you 24/7 always run too cold just get a more viscous fluid and that should put you in any range you want.
        Jeeps don't get stuck ... they just take a nap when they are tired of being awesome
        93 2DR XJ 8" lift D30/D44 4.56's 35" MTRs IRO Y-link Build:http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9658
        Eric

Comment

Can't hurt.
          2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
          MK2 Jetta > M3
          Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

i run the biggest one that was on the shelf at advance auto i don't know the specs, but it was rated for rv's and i could barely fit it in front of the radiator. and my trans still gets as hot as a mofo.
            www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

the trans is suppose to run at a certain temp, with this said just run the line setup just like they do from the factory with the trans coolers.

Comment

Yes you can over cool an engine and over cool a tranny.
                Your oil needs to get over 220ยบ to evaporate the water that condensates in the housing.
                Also all the seal and bearings are designed to work at operating temperatures when everything expands.
                Can you get away with it yes. is Cooler better than Hot definitely.
                You can also buy a thermostat for the tranny cooler they are like $50 I have one on my truck. It will just bypass the cooler until the tranny fluid gets hot.

The thermostat is hard to find I think I got mine off ebay.
                http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRU-C...item27a3581914

Good luck.
                RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Sweet guys thanks for the info. I'm going start looking into that Justin thats a pretty trick idea.
                  I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

Working...
                  X