stucky situation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stucky situation.

Tried to ressurect the jeep the other day, and ran into a bit of the problem. The throwout bearing seems to be frozen. clutch wont do shit, goes to the floor, has fluid, but doesnt do its job. anyone got any bright ideas on how to get it freed up without pulling the tranny? because I really dont feel like doing that.

can I pull the slave side bolts and get in there? or is it not worth the time to try?
    "Watching you work on your Jeep is like watching a doctor operate on a cadaver...
    It may be good practice, but in the end it won't do much good." -My Mother.

if anything I would do just like you said and pull the slave aside and push on the fork with something by hand, worst case is uboultinng it and cleaning the flywheel surface ect. This happen to my uncles TJ but he was going to drop the trans to put in a new clutch anyways

Comment

it has a hydrolic throwout bearing. no fork to push on if i'm not mistaken. maybe I can get something in there to give it a good knock, try and break it free.
      "Watching you work on your Jeep is like watching a doctor operate on a cadaver...

Comment

Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed View Post
        Tried to ressurect the jeep the other day, and ran into a bit of the problem. The throwout bearing seems to be frozen. clutch wont do shit, goes to the floor, has fluid, but doesnt do its job. anyone got any bright ideas on how to get it freed up without pulling the tranny? because I really dont feel like doing that.

can I pull the slave side bolts and get in there? or is it not worth the time to try?
        When you push the clutch is there normal resistance? If it feels like there is no resistance it could be leaking by inside the master and not moving the slave/hyd throwout.

My 95 Wrangler has an external slave cylinder, I thought the internal style was just in the early 90's but I could be wrong, and not even sure what yours is.

In my trail Jeep and my 1950's Case Backhoe even, the clutch will seize to the flywheel if you don't drive it for a while. I have a Centerforce in my trail jeep and it will seize after not driving it for a little as 3 weeks.What happens if even if you push the clutch pedal, effectively disengaging the pressure plate, the clutch sticks to the flywheel (surprisingly well) and so the engine still drives the transmission.

If you suspect this is what is happening, my best advice is to put it in 1st, push in the clutch pedal and crank it. If it starts, keep the clutch pedal pushed (pressure plate disengaged) and hopefully it will free up and then the vehicle will stop moving. You could also try 2nd or 3rd gear starts, probably more effective to break it loose but rougher on your starter. Once it frees up, you may want to do a small clutch smoke show so it cleans off the surfaces.

Good luck.
        1950 Willys Trail Rig
        2007.5 Dodge 2500 QCSB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 4x4

Comment

So turns out I have an external slave. whoops, I was mixing it up with my old jeep I guess. So I pulled the slave, and gave a full throw on the fork, and nothin. So yeah, the clutch must be whats frozen to the flywheel, as you said Owen. I got it to start a few times in first and reverse, and I hit the brakes and it stalls before it breaks free. I think I'll try doing it in third I guess. The rig only sat for a month or two. this sucks.
          Last edited by HitItWithSomeSpeed; 01-03-2011, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Gotta love the skinny pedal... The Speed-J drives again!

Comment

Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed
              didnt this thread start with Jon being gay? what happened to that?
              Originally posted by Lawn Guyland
              he's still gay we've just moved on to more important issues
              Originally posted by Zullius Caesar
              i grab dude's junk all the time, doesn't make me gay.

Comment

Nice man, that's it... guess it was just a seized clutch then?
                1950 Willys Trail Rig
                2007.5 Dodge 2500 QCSB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 4x4

Comment

Yeah, Im just amazed it got that bad in only a few months. Got it tho. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
                  X