5.13 or 5.38's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.13 or 5.38's

Found a guy on pirate that has awesome prices on Yukon stuff so I'm going to order from him, should I go 5.13 or 5.38's? Tires will be 37s

I went with 5.38's planning on going to 37"s.

It was a tough call, but I was on the fence and I figured I'd rather be over geared than undergeared.

Cant tell you how they are tho, still sitting in a box in my garage
    "Watching you work on your Jeep is like watching a doctor operate on a cadaver...
    It may be good practice, but in the end it won't do much good." -My Mother.

Comment

5.38's

Comment

I don't know of many people who complain about being overgeared in the axles. Now taking into consideration other variables(engine, trans, transfer case) might sway what gears i would go with.

For example. If i was building my Xj (4.0/aw4/231) For 35's if i was building mine I would go at least 4.88's but i would probably spring for 5.38's just because i like low gear... and it is less strain on the drive train. But if i had plans for 4:1 transfer case or a v8 i would go with Numerically lower gears.

My friend at school has 35's on a 4.0/ax15/231(4:1) and he absolutely hates it. WAYYYY too low of gears. He says he wants to re-gear to 4.10 it is so low. But i imagine that is because everything else has a lower gear.

In all of that talking i don't think i answered your question... just things to consider.
        2013 F150 fx4 (Tow Pig/DD)
        • 5.0 with the 3.73 option

2003 TJ Rubicon
        • 4.0/42rle/np241or
        • 5.13's
        • 3" Savvy/Currie suspension with acos
        • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

sam runs 5.38's on 35's with a 4.0 auto and loves it. i've been in it and it runs great even on the highway. just food for thought
          I drive a Datsun

Comment

i'm gonna be running 5.38's on 39's with a 3.8 tcase. i'll tell ya how it is in 2 years lol.

everything i have heard though between 5.13 and 5.38 is that it is such a minimal difference, that your just better off going alittle lower.
            No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
            Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

I went with 5.38's. Got a smoking deal, both gear sets, Yukons, both install kits, Yukons again, spool, Spartan locker with shipping for $1,100.

Comment

Originally posted by JeepBabiiXJ View Post
                i'm gonna be running 5.38's on 39's with a 3.8 tcase. i'll tell ya how it is in 2 years lol.

everything i have heard though between 5.13 and 5.38 is that it is such a minimal difference, that your just better off going alittle lower.
                On the contrary... i heard that since there is such a minimal difference that it is better to go with 5:13 because of the slightly larger pinion... I would still go 5:38.
                2013 F150 fx4 (Tow Pig/DD)
                • 5.0 with the 3.73 option

2003 TJ Rubicon
                • 4.0/42rle/np241or
                • 5.13's
                • 3" Savvy/Currie suspension with acos
                • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

Im 5.13s on 35s, wish I was at 4.88s

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                    Im 5.13s on 35s, wish I was at 4.88s
                    also standard though right???
                    No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                    Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

yeah

Comment

turbo 4.0 with 5.38's?!?1
                        2 tj's
                        3 yj's
                        2 xj's
                        i'm a jeep whore

"id walk 6 hours one way to suck a fart out of megan fox's ass"

Comment

I don't think you will feel much difference between 5.13s or 5.38s one way or another to be honest, so I wouldn't sweat it, you got a smokin deal.
                          1950 Willys Trail Rig
                          2007.5 Dodge 2500 QCSB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 4x4

Comment

Working...
                          X