Fuel cells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel cells

i am stretching my rear axle back about 6" and am needing to go to a fuel cell, is anybody running one? what fuel pump are you using? how about plumbing? can it be wired up to factory fuel gauge?
    04 2500hd DMAX with lots of stuff
    96 SVT COBRA black on black
    93 2 door xj chopped, boatsided, going on 1 tons
    05 Polaris Switchback 600

why not just use the same tank with the stock pump

Comment

cause the stretch will cause the axle to hit the tank..........

If its an xj, i'd look into doing a tank tuck or buying a summit racing fuel cell they are pretty cheap, and there are alot of options for fuel pumps, search it on pirate there are alot of different setups you can look at.
      No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
      Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Originally posted by JeepBabiiXJ View Post
        cause the stretch will cause the axle to hit the tank..........

If its an xj, i'd look into doing a tank tuck or buying a summit racing fuel cell they are pretty cheap, and there are alot of options for fuel pumps, search it on pirate there are alot of different setups you can look at.
        I realize this but what I meant was a tank tuck/mounting it in the cargo area.

Comment

because it takes up to much space, and i want to keep a spare, hilift, etc back there, this thing is like a truck without a roof, did some searching really isnt to hard to set this all up

Comment

Originally posted by Cardinal View Post
            i am stretching my rear axle back about 6" and am needing to go to a fuel cell, is anybody running one? what fuel pump are you using? how about plumbing? can it be wired up to factory fuel gauge?
            I run an RCI 2161a with a YJ sending unit... as seen here http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthr...?t=515&page=15

It is a sending unit with a 14 PSI pump for a 1988 4cyl TBI YJ (my rig is running GM TBI), but you could use one from a 4.0 HO YJ (I even have one!)... I have also seen some guys run TJ sending units. Whatever will work with your engine. The sending YJ sending unit also has a fuel level sender so you just need to figure the ohm range of the YJ vs your cherokee, I am sure there is something that is the same. I made my own ring, you can too or buy one from KORE: http://www.kore4x4customs.com/featur...d=11&TreeId=11

A sending unit in the cell is the way to go I think, a little more work but I don't have any starvation problems (also running snowmobile pickups) and its a clean setup. I was running a fuel cell with a bottom dump and an inline pump and it starved all the time.

This is a cheap setup. You can drop a G on a nice fuel cell. Mine works extremely well for what I do. You may be ok spending a little more and you might be able to find something that will work better for you. Good luck
            1950 Willys Trail Rig
            2007.5 Dodge 2500 QCSB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 4x4

Comment

Owen, thats the same fuel cell i have had my eye on. i know my xj needs a 0-90 ohm sending unit wich are available in those cells from summit. plan was just to run an external pump, but if you had problems starving for fuel, i may not want to go that way, i like those rings ill have to look into it more

Comment

Owen, thats the same fuel cell i have had my eye on. i know my xj needs a 0-90 ohm sending unit wich are available in those cells from summit. plan was just to run an external pump, but if you had problems starving for fuel, i may not want to go that way, i like those rings ill have to look into it more
                I have a friend running that same cell, external pump and stock draw, he doesn't have any problems, but I have never seen the jeep on its side either. I ran an external pump with my old cell, but the outlet was on the bottom, which I think had more to do with the fuel starvation. If you run a cell with a top outlet and a pickup tube in the center of the cell, it will probably starve less, you just have to make sure to not run low on fuel or get in a situation where the jeep is going to need to run on a steep side angle for a while. I just like being able to run at all angles, I have been on my sides a few times and its never starved.
                1950 Willys Trail Rig

Comment

was the stock pump and sending unit long/short enough to accurately measure the fuel level? genright also sells the rings, i could just as easily go that route, my sending unit is shot anyways so i could just pickup a used one somewhere easily. then i wont have any problems and its less plumbing

Comment

was the stock pump and sending unit long/short enough to accurately measure the fuel level? genright also sells the rings, i could just as easily go that route, my sending unit is shot anyways so i could just pickup a used one somewhere easily. then i wont have any problems and its less plumbing
                    yes and yes, the yj tank is just about as deep as that cell so it is a nice fit. I don't honestly know the ohm range of the yj sending unit, or if they vary over the years... but it must be close to 0-90 ohm, I had a 0-90 ohm guage which I hooked it up to and it is pretty accurate.

And a note about the sender, the ones that come in the RCI fuel cells will make your guage bounce all around as the fuel sloshes around. After I put the YJ unit in the fuel guage stays pretty consistant. I don't know if there is something electrically in there or the float works better.
                    1950 Willys Trail Rig

Comment

alright sweet man thanks for the info, cant wait to get it out there wheelin

Comment

Working...
                      X