The famous engine knock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The famous engine knock

My jeep is now going on 225k miles. Has never let me down and has never Needed water pump or anything, although i may do one soon for ease of mind sake. However, with the weather getting colder the valve knock is getting worse, it quiets down at a higher rpm and it also gets quieter at a higher temp. Ive been driving it with this knock for 30k miles and im positive its not a rod knock.

Is there anything i can do to make it not sound like a diesel?

Thanks- pat

thicker oil might help

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

Did you pinpoint exactly where the knock is coming from? My cherokee has 210k on it and it makes the same exact knocking noise, it sounds like a diesel at idle. It gets great oil pressure and runs good for 210k. It had that noise for like 3 yrs. And like you, never had any driveablity issues at all. So one day I ended up tracking the noise down near the bellhousing and I found the flywheel had a hairline crack in it creating that noise. Its a common problem for the 4 litres with high mileage. I heard that from a mechanic from a mopar dealership.
      93 Cherokee
      Rough Country Kit
      4.5 inch front coils
      5 inch rear
      34x 10.5 in TSLs on rock crawler wheels
      sway bar discos
      d30 front d44 rear
      Rusty's pre runner bumper
      rocker rot included

78 Malibu (sleeper)
      95 Tahoe

Comment

Sounds like a collapsed lifter.
        I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

Working...
        X