fuel cell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel cell

So, my fuel pump went in my jeep so I gotta change it.
    In a few months I need to get a fuel cell because I'm stretching the rear, so I made the decision to just buy a new fuel cell and pump for the fuel cell. In the end I'm still changing the fuel pump, I'm just paying the little extra that I'm going to have to fork out at a later date.

What fuel cell should I get?
    I have a few in mind. I'm trying to stay around the 16 gallon range.
    91 YJ: 4.0, 4" lift, 33" TSL's, SYE, Woody driveshaft, cut flares

prob should be in tech section...
    #becauseJoeNitro

Comment

WOOOPS
      true that.

Comment

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RCI-2161A/
        fits behind rear seat and you can cut it to accept stock yj fuel pump and sending unit
        1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
        2001 wj tbd
        1974 5 ton

Comment

would it be easier to buy an external fuel pump? or is it really easy to install stock yj pump in the fuel cell

Comment

its easy to install the stock one
            1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
            2001 wj tbd
            1974 5 ton

Comment

Don't I have to modify anything?
              I was also thinking: external fuel pump may be better just so I don't have to listen to it inside the jeep

Comment

Well GRANT, Generally, in most cases, the fuel pump fails due to overheating. One thing that is important for many people ignore is with a fuel pump in the gas tank, it lasts more full than empty, helps keep your fuel pump surrounded. If during the last years many have you kept your tank less than half, more often than not, he has helped contribute to pump failures. Another common problem is to use cheap fuel, cheap gas in it and often contaminants of water, which can leave deposits that accumulate over time and can also cause problems on the road, I used Chevron Techron super unleaded in many years, and I filled my tank when it is nearly half.

Comment

WORD. Im a cheapo so its been under 3/4 most of the time...

I got the fuel cell for behind the seat and and external fuel pump so I can mount it to the frame

Comment

Originally posted by Magilla View Post
                    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RCI-2161A/
                    fits behind rear seat and you can cut it to accept stock yj fuel pump and sending unit
                    GRANT

http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthr...?t=515&page=15

Check out my build thread, I am running a RCI 2161A (Out of Rucifer's YJ). It has been modded to run a YJ sender before I bought it and I just refined it a little. I was running a RCI 2151 with an external pump used in Ford pickups with dual tanks before that, and it used to starve for fuel if I had under 1/2 tank. This setup runs at a variety of angles (all of them that I have tried). Only problem with this one is my tool box wasn't tied down one time and smashed it, cracking one of the welds.
                    1950 Willys Trail Rig
                    2007.5 Dodge 2500 QCSB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 4x4

Comment

Nice!
                      I have to figure out how to make a new tool box... my old one isnt going to fit
                      the old one took up the entire rear space.

do you think there is going to be any way around the lack of fuel with the external pump?

Comment

I would recommend putting some small rubber bushings under the mounting brackets to keep the welds from cracking with the vibration from bouncing around over rocks. I used sets from Advance Auto from the generic parts isle. I had the exact same cell.
                        88 YJ...kinda. Clayton Hard Arms, V8, 1 tons w/Detroits, twin sticked T-18/NP205, Irok's, MasterCrafts, fuel cell, multi-colored

Comment

Originally posted by GRANT View Post
                          Nice!
                          I have to figure out how to make a new tool box... my old one isnt going to fit
                          the old one took up the entire rear space.

do you think there is going to be any way around the lack of fuel with the external pump?
                          Yes, a friend of mine has it setup as stock (drawing from the top), with an external pump and I have never heard him complain... However I have never really seen him put the jeep on its side.

Originally posted by Wide-J View Post
                          I would recommend putting some small rubber bushings under the mounting brackets to keep the welds from cracking with the vibration from bouncing around over rocks. I used sets from Advance Auto from the generic parts isle. I had the exact same cell.
                          Yes that was my thoughts also, and I did the same thing after I repaired the crack... I wasn't really sure what caused it to crack, but I know my tool box hit it the same day it started to leak.
                          1950 Willys Trail Rig
                          2007.5 Dodge 2500 QCSB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 4x4

Comment

Working...
                          X