brake upgrade issues. 8.8 tj swap=SQUISHY pedal and no rear pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brake upgrade issues. 8.8 tj swap=SQUISHY pedal and no rear pressure

finally got my 8.8 in my tj. its beautiful, and drives fine so far in the parking lot. BUT and its a big but, i can't get my brakes functioning nicely. what i did was pull the o-ring out of the proportioning valve on that little stem thing that comes out of the front. before i did this i checked that everything was connected solid and what not also. after that we bled and to our surprise there was almost no air anywhere in the lines. did we do something wrong with bleeding? we went closest caliper to farthest, which on a tj should be front driver, fron passenger, rear driver, rear passenger correct?

so problem #1, we are using all front brake only when we brake.

problem #2, the pedal goes ALL the way to the floor to get full front power and is super spongy.

any ideas as to what we could've done wrong with this? did we bleed the wrong way? any help is much appreciated.
    Hack Shack Racing #4632 Jeep TJ

Did you go from drum to disk? if you did, you should get another prop valve so you run the right amount of pressure to the rears.
    God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

yes i did go from drum to disc, but last time i asked about valves on here everyone said pull the o-ring out of the tj prop valve and itll make it work. that is what i did and unfortunately it aint workin. guess ill need to put the ring back and get an adjustable valve from somewhere. but still, do you think thatll fix my squishy pedal issues? i am not sure if it will.....

Comment

I always do the opposite, bleed farthest to closest, so passenger rear first. Don't know if its right or wrong, my dad taught me that and I do it to this day.

What is the reason for removing the O ring? I would try to run it stock. I just put a 8.8 disc in my 95 wrangler. I didn't touch the master or prop valve and it will send you through the windshield.

Only major reason for not being able to run a drum setup with disc brakes, is some drum brake setups use a residual valve to keep a little pressure on the shoes. Your reservior volume for drums is often smaller, but on a TJ it is one reservior for front and rear
        1950 Willys Trail Rig
        2007.5 Dodge 2500 QCSB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by OWEN View Post
          I always do the opposite, bleed farthest to closest, so passenger rear first. Don't know if its right or wrong, my dad taught me that and I do it to this day.
          tis what I thought too. ALso make sure your rear calipers are on the correct side because the bleeders need to be on the top.
          P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
          2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
          OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

put the oring in for haha's and see if that works.

Comment

i'm going to put the o-ring in tomorrow and see how it works out.

Comment

i used a disc brake zj prop valve when i did the disk setup on my xj and it solved the soft pedal instantly, look into that
                2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
                1945 Willys-Overland CJ2A

Comment

yeah that's the thing, i put in the zj valve now and hooked it all up but it's the same thing. so frustrating. although, the tj had one extra line coming into the valve that the zj did not have which forced the zj to have a plug in the port closest to the driver on the valve. on the tj there is another outgoing line there.

when they did this on stu-offroad though they put a T-fitting onto the opening next to the one that was plugged and attached the two lines to that. this is what i am going to do tomorrow. if you look on the D44 disc conversion on stu offroad you could see exactly what i mean

http://stu-offroad.com/suspension/d44brake/bc-5.htm

as always, feedback appreciated

Comment

I'M SO RETARDED MY CALIPERS ARE ON BACKWARDS. fuck me, all this trouble for nothing lol. have yet to try flippin em yet lter today or tomorrow or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro View Post
                      tis what I thought too. ALso make sure your rear calipers are on the correct side because the bleeders need to be on the top.
                      Originally posted by konastinky1234 View Post
                      I'M SO RETARDED MY CALIPERS ARE ON BACKWARDS. fuck me, all this trouble for nothing lol. have yet to try flippin em yet lter today or tomorrow or something.
                      89XJ Pioneer Edition 3.5" 33s ravines 4:10s 8.8- parted but not forgotten
                      95XJ tons 3 link 36s 5:38s
                      97 F-250HD 7.3 Turbo Diesel
                      If Parts Ain't Flyin' you Ain't Tryin'

"Shut up and Wheel"

Comment

lol, i know i went back and re read the thread and finally i realized it. i don't know how i didn't at first.

Comment

LOL well that will do it
                          1950 Willys Trail Rig
                          2007.5 Dodge 2500 QCSB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 4x4

Comment

its alright man I did the exact same thing and finally after bleeding brakes multiple times i relized the bleaders gotta be on top lol
                            89XJ Pioneer Edition 3.5" 33s ravines 4:10s 8.8- parted but not forgotten
                            95XJ tons 3 link 36s 5:38s
                            97 F-250HD 7.3 Turbo Diesel
                            If Parts Ain't Flyin' you Ain't Tryin'

"Shut up and Wheel"

Comment

Working...
                            X