Shackle Reversal with Slider Blocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shackle Reversal with Slider Blocks

Here is pictures of my shackle reversal with slider blocks.

I made these T-bushings to distribute the load into the bushing but I need a mill to insert a slot in the plastic bushing I tried doing it by hand but came out like crap.
    I'll get to a mill some day soon.

RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
    www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
    Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

looks good i've always liked those leaf sliders
    I drive a Datsun

Comment

Do those leaf slider bind up?
      -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

i approve
        www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

I've always been a fan of the fab work you do, nice work man.

Comment

Thanks guys.

If you read about sliders and shackles.
            Shackles move in an arc so depending on what angle the shackle is it will slightly change the rate of the spring.
            Think of it if the shackle is tilted away from the spring as the spring goes up it moves the shackle backwards. For a tilted back shackle to move to vertical the spring actually needs to move down a little so makes it stiffer and the opposite if the shackle is tilted forward it will lower the spring rate.

Slider Blocks the spring always sees a constant spring rate.
            For that reason You will not get as much flex, I also limited the slot length to keep my front drive shaft from falling apart.

Binding? The spring will twist just like it does with shackles it might be a little stiffer 1 bushing instead of 2.

There is plenty of reasons I'm against shackle reversal
            The reason I did this is because I keep wasting springs. I would bend or crack them at the frame perch when I do steep drops. I think it is because I'm pushing the spring the shackle reversal will pull the spring I hope that keep springs under my jeep.

The slider blocks that you can buy are made for street not rocks so I tried to make extra beefy ones.

I lost so much flex since I first built the jeep, but it is a lot more solid now, I hope it is enough to stay on the podium.
            RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5

Sponsors:
            Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

I've seen these before on either pirate or naxja, nice job and great write-up

Comment

looks awesome man, let us know how it works!
                2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
                MK2 Jetta > M3
                Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

i've wanted to have a YJ agian for a while. I love the idea of a slider, been looking at a setup on pirate for a few years now.

props dude

and looking at it more, you did make those slots real short... why not just extend slip of the drive shaft and make the slots longer?
                  Last edited by grundlepunch; 04-23-2010, 07:46 AM.
                  "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

I have the long spline front drive shaft, about 10" of usable travel.

The leafs are pretty flat springs so don't travel to much to begin with.

I took the neutral spring eye to eye distance and allowed it to compress another 1/2 inch.

Then measured the length of the leaf as if it was straightened out and made it a 1/2" longer

When going forward the axle wants to twist backwards, pulling the pinion down I hope limiting the slot travel will reduce axle wrap.

I made the slider shelves long so I can always extend the slots if I need to.
                    RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5

Sponsors:

Comment

Looks like a great solution for someone who wants to get max articulation out of their leaf springs without having a long shackle hangin down. Great work, I didn't realize that is what you were building!
                      1950 Willys Trail Rig
                      2007.5 Dodge 2500 QCSB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 4x4

Comment

Its a very nice screenshot.You have done great work.I didn't realize that is what you were building.They usually had them on the rear of the front springs.I think the shackle and rubber bushing help the suspension flex better.I made the slider shelves long so I can always extend the slots if I need to.
                        8gb sd cards

Comment

Originally posted by jedc53 View Post
                          Its a very nice screenshot.You have done great work.I didn't realize that is what you were building.They usually had them on the rear of the front springs.I think the shackle and rubber bushing help the suspension flex better.I made the slider shelves long so I can always extend the slots if I need to.
                          Thank you,

The sliders are on the rear of the front springs

rubber bushings and shackles definitely flex better.

I wanted it to be stiffer I had too much axle wrap and laterally to soft under heavy steering the tie rod would push my body away axle instead of turning the wheels a track bar would help too, but I thought this would be better.

The sliders have plenty of rear travel for the spring to straighten out I only limited the forward travel which limits the droop travel and hopefully axle wrap.
                          RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5

Sponsors:

Comment

Working...
                          X