New Tiedown anchors for the trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Tiedown anchors for the trailer

yesterday i spent a little time at work installing some new anchors on the deck to tie down the 94 yota or what ever else i put on it.

the stock ones are not in the best locations for tieing vehicles especially at the back.

i took a chunk of left over framerail from an 18-wheeler, which is 1/4" thick steel, cut and grinded 4 plates out of it

welded them to the frame in the corners of the deck

then drilled holes all the way through the trailer and mounted 10,000lb d-ring anchors

sprayed a little black paint on and hear's the finished product

-Ryan

Rigs:
    07 Toyota Tacoma, 4.0L V6, 6spd Man., 3" Susp. Lift on 33x11.5" Mickey Thompson Baja MTZs, Plenty of Light and Exhaust mods too - SOLD IT!!
    94 Toyota Pickup/w'93 yota body, 3.0L V6, 5spd Man., Body swapped, Removeable Doors, Rear Locker, 36x13-16 Bias TSLs on 16x7" steel wheels, rock sliders, Custom bed and start of Roll Cage

Just some advice for next time, crossing the straps like that isn't the best idea.

You should just go straight to each corner.

Comment

i've had people tell me that it's better, and that it's what the military does too.
      idk maybe i'll do some research to find out for sure

as long as the truck doesn't go anywhere, i'm fine with it
      -Ryan

Rigs:
      07 Toyota Tacoma, 4.0L V6, 6spd Man., 3" Susp. Lift on 33x11.5" Mickey Thompson Baja MTZs, Plenty of Light and Exhaust mods too - SOLD IT!!
      94 Toyota Pickup/w'93 yota body, 3.0L V6, 5spd Man., Body swapped, Removeable Doors, Rear Locker, 36x13-16 Bias TSLs on 16x7" steel wheels, rock sliders, Custom bed and start of Roll Cage

Comment

Originally posted by Even View Post
        Just some advice for next time, crossing the straps like that isn't the best idea.

You should just go straight to each corner.
        why, i cross the starps with 0 issues
        "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

Originally posted by RockClimber View Post
          i've had people tell me that it's better, and that it's what the military does too.
          idk maybe i'll do some research to find out for sure

as long as the truck doesn't go anywhere, i'm fine with it
          Originally posted by grundlepunch View Post
          why, i cross the starps with 0 issues
          Crossing, or making an X with the straps creates a pivot (not sure if that makes sense) and under really harsh cornering or a crash your rig can flip on it's side, or completely off the trailer.

Comment

Crossing, or making an X with the straps creates a pivot (not sure if that makes sense) and under really harsh cornering or a crash your rig can flip on it's side, or completely off the trailer.
            I cannot see this being possible without a strap breaking
            dirty30

Comment

i actually understand his point and it makes sense...

look at the picture and think about the truck rolling over. the straps would just go slack as the one end came up and its like they arnt even there...
              #becauseJoeNitro

Comment

http://www.off-roadweb.com/tech/0605.../photo_12.html
                God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

when i used to load excavators, backhoes ect. the driver would sometimes cross the tiedowns , so with that being said i really don't see an issue...

Comment

i understand what Evan is saying, but at the same time, if you were to look at and add up the forces that the two criss crossed straps are creating. you get a lot of combined downward force and a lot of lateral force holding it in place. So the severity with which you would need to turn to make it actually even start lift the tires off the trailer deck would probably be enough to roll the trailer and tow rig.

if you want i can pull out the old engineering books and break it down with approximate numbers
                    -Ryan

Rigs:

Comment

Ive been doing towing for a while i usually x it at the back of the trailer and running them straight at the front of the trailer. Drove it like that to florida quite a few times never had an issues. The downward force it has to overcome to flip it strapped down would be enough to flip the truck and trailer before it flipped just the vehicle on the trailer
                      1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
                      2001 wj tbd
                      1974 5 ton

Comment

i guess i could run one set of straps straight, then there would be no question about it going anywhere

i like the idea. might use it
                        -Ryan

Rigs:

Comment

Do a SAS and just put one strap around the axle... problem solved!
                          1950 Willys Trail Rig
                          2007.5 Dodge 2500 QCSB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by OWEN View Post
                            Do a SAS and just put one strap around the axle... problem solved!
                            that would be getting done this summer, but the broken leaf spring in the rear must be tended to first. SAS gonna have to wait
                            -Ryan

Rigs:

Comment

Trailer Parts Superstore offers a wide variety of trailer tie down accessories.The trailer is very low,there are wooden floors throughout,and in the front and sides of the metal bars and a pull-down metal gate nets.I used these and made two router templates to cut the recesses. One template for the flange and one for the well.
                              8gb sd cards

Comment

Working...
                              X