Building a HD crossmember.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a HD crossmember.

I want to build a HD crossmember for my xj. Anyone have pics or tips on how to do this?
    -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

www.pirate4x4.com

Comment

Originally posted by XJtheXtremeJeep View Post
      x2

you are dead to me
      www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

take a look at csaddicts build thread, he build a crossmember thats pretty stout yet simple

Comment

http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75

Now that I did it, I would do it different next time.

Comment

Yeah I looked at yours dave. I kinda wanna do like Sam did on his last build so i can get more clearence.
            -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

that is one beefy crossmember.
              2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
              MK2 Jetta > M3
              Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbike View Post
                Yeah I looked at yours dave. I kinda wanna do like Sam did on his last build so i can get more clearence.
                mine was super easy to make, had no bolts hanging below the framerails and was nice and flat.

the downside is you need to clock your t-case. with an aw4 it's simple because its almost like the output housing was made to be clocked leaving more than enough meat to simply redrill the t-case mounting holes. not so sure with an ax15, but you may need a clocking ring (about 70 bucks) I made a little tool to do this effectively.

this also raised my drivetrain about an inch.

the only reason the clocking was 100% needed was front driveshaft clearance with how my t-case "set in" to the crossmember a lil bitty. without it my shaft would hit my crossmember at rest nevermind droop.

i also had to cut a little "wing" off the 231 and pound my floor up a couple inches.

but i liked it.

oh yea it was basically a big hunk of 2x6x1/4" box steel

Comment

Comment

Hey sam do you have a pic of the holes you drilled to clock the t-case? Did you just drill it like a 1/4'' to the right of each hole.
                    98 Cherokee, D30/8.25 w/4.56s locked F/R -- 3 link front IRO springs rear with shackle relocation, one ton steering w/heims, hybrid cage under contruction, 33'' KM2's

Comment

just drill a little clockwise to each hole

i reccomend making a jig for it

Comment

Sounds easy enough, guess I should also ask if this was done when you had made your own linkage or does the factory linkage adjust enough to still work fine?
                        98 Cherokee, D30/8.25 w/4.56s locked F/R -- 3 link front IRO springs rear with shackle relocation, one ton steering w/heims, hybrid cage under contruction, 33'' KM2's

Comment

im not sure

i did the tummy tuck at the same time so i needed new linkage anyway.

it cost me like 15 bucks in heims and bolts. much smoother/firmer shirt operation than stock

Comment

And far less complicated..last question i swear..where did you get the ity bity heims and whatnot.

Comment

the internet

i think it was some race shop

i used all 7/16" stuff

Comment

Working...
                              X