ditched the radius arm, got myself a 3 link

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ditched the radius arm, got myself a 3 link

Well this has been in the plans for quite some time now. I have ALWAYS had an upper link mount (not stock) on my last 2 cherokees but never ended up using them because i already had these radius arms just chillin. WELL I FINALLY DID IT.

a few years ago i ran some numbers in a link calculator, i did some longarm setups and some mid arm setups, some high clearance, some requiring floor modification, some low clearance, etc. And this is what I decided to settle on a couple days ago.

Why the low clearance? because i have never been hung up on my longarms that hung down just as much and went much further back. And if I made them high clearance it would require ripping apart my floor for some decent antisquat numbers. Also i achieved a much flatter control arm angle this way.

full droop

flexin er' out checkin clearances and whatnot, nothing comes in contact with anything except for tires into the fenders, i just need me some bumpstops. oil pan even has about 3" clearance from the truss at full compression (even though the darn thing always hit before)

AIR FLECKS

arm angle at ride height

here is one of the control arms. using 5 year old rockkrawler heims that have NEVER BEEN GREASED and are still tight as a..... "insert something tight here"
    ballistic joints on the frame side. those tabs are for the shocks.

the upper control arm just uses 7/8" heim joints with a 5/8" bolt

here is the upper link mount. one cheap trick i have learned for link mounts is go to the harbor freight store and pick up some hitch tubing. it's the perfect width for many heim joints with misalignment spacers, and 3/16" thick. and come with a 5/8" hole, which is perfect for the bolt size i am running.

how she sits now. i'm not sure how much over stock she is, but my guess is 5". weird because the same coils netted me 4" on the old xj. looks like i need to weld some more metal on it.

WHAT do i think?
    My last 2 jeeps with the radius arms rode pretty terrible, granted even with the rubber bushings. Then i cruised around with a 3" lift on stock control arms for a few months, and thought it rode pretty nice and I had people who rode with me who were jealous of the ride quality. The road i take to work sucks and my cd player would always skip maybe 20 times on the way to work. Now I coast over those bumps and I can't even tell they are there. I'm still amazed at the difference in ride quality.

NO it doesn't ride like a cadillac, and no jeep does no matter what longarms you put on it, anyone who tells you that is full of crap, but in its current form this is the nicest riding jeep I can remember being in (stock included).

I can't wait to bring it out on the trail.
    www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Looks good, nice and low arm angle

Let me know how it does ive been contemplating mid arms
    1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
    2001 wj tbd
    1974 5 ton

Comment

sexy. jealous of nice ride quality...

Comment

fuckin sexy.....

are dem shocks bent????
        Originally posted by Ktmracer419
        some people choose video games
        some choose projects
        some choose welding random things together

Comment

Originally posted by justtorchit View Post
          fuckin sexy.....

are dem shocks bent????
          just the passenger side. doesn't effect anything. might not last as long, but its been like that for a while

Comment

i was gonna ask that but i figured i was just seein things. thought it was just me

Comment

Sexy. You must have used 10lbs. of wire with all of that hotness.

Comment

nioce

Comment

Looks sweet dude!
                  -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

awesome set up
                    I drive a Datsun

Comment

looks pretty dope to me. And I was super jealous of the ride quality on the trail with just the 3 inch lift on there.
                      1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
                      1999 sierra
                      1967 M725 Big and Slow
                      -Dan

Comment

Obviously you re-used some parts to this... But if you were to put a price tag on how much you would have into this what would it be???

LOOOOKKKSSSSS GOOOOD!!!!
                        2013 F150 fx4 (Tow Pig/DD)
                        • 5.0 with the 3.73 option

2003 TJ Rubicon
                        • 4.0/42rle/np241or
                        • 5.13's
                        • 3" Savvy/Currie suspension with acos
                        • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

looks awesome Sam
                          P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
                          2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
                          OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

Originally posted by Supermanxj View Post
                            Obviously you re-used some parts to this... But if you were to put a price tag on how much you would have into this what would it be???

LOOOOKKKSSSSS GOOOOD!!!!
                            ruff estimate if i were to build it by mah own self with new parts:

loaded heims for upper: $50
                            ballistic joints for lower $150
                            some dookin dom: $100
                            lca mounts:$40
                            hitch tubing for upper mount$15
                            some random bits and pieces of plate to strengthen upper $idk

so like 350.

i had everything lying around though lol

Comment

looks good sam! thinkin about doin 3-link on my jeep as well
                              "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

Working...
                              X