Cage tie-in's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cage tie-in's

i'm going to weld my rockers on tonight and i was thinking it would be really east to just go right through the body to the rockers rather than to the frame. will this be strong enough, has anyone seen this before?
    1991 YJ, 1 tons, locked, lots o armor, stretched, cage

im sorry, i may not understand what you are saying, but this doesnt seem safe to me.

You want to tie the cage right into the rockers?

I feel like that would be very unsafe and if you did have a roll over they would not be enough to actually "stop" the impact even if they are welded.

Or maybe im just really dumb and i need you to draw me a picture
    You better decide if you are hanging on the cross, or banging in the nails

Comment

By rockers I assume you mean rock sliders? Timmay from Pirate 4x4 did something similar with his XJ to tie in his cage to his rockers.
      I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

yeah, i'm going to tie them to a set of jcr rock sliders. My mistake i did mean rock sliders not rocker as the body

Comment

A frame tie in would be the best, although jeep doesn't tie in factory rollover protection to the frame. Do the rock sliders tie into the frame?
          1950 Willys Trail Rig
          2007.5 Dodge 2500 QCSB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 4x4

Comment

yeah, i'm going to weld 3 plates to each side of the frame a tube to each plate, and the rockers to each tube, i was going to run more tube straight up to the cage

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepbonehead View Post
              yeah, i'm going to weld 3 plates to each side of the frame a tube to each plate, and the rockers to each tube, i was going to run more tube straight up to the cage
              if the tube for the cage goes through the body and meets the slider tube at a 90 this would put a lot of leverage on this tube in a hard roll. better then factory, but i think it would be more ideal to sandwich the tub and run a slant to the frame. i think you will be okay though.

the thing i dont like is welding sliders to the frame. I did that when i first got my tj and i would hit them hard, they just acted like a big pry bar on my frame and actually tore my frame and put me in the state im in now ( an unwheelable jeep with a shot frame).

i ended up cutting the frame sliders off and going with a poison spyder style the bolts to the tub and sanwiches 2 body mounts. this is a much better design and i welded then ends of my old sliders to them to make a step/gaurd so i can turn off trees and rocks. look at my build thread for pics of fucked up frame and sliders if you want
              "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

l think the best option would be to bolt the cage to the slider, sandwiching the tub inbetween. Then, instead of just welding a piece of tube between the frame and slider, tie them in with a bushing too. Examples:

http://polyperformance.com/shop/Poly...s-p-16605.html

http://polyperformance.com/shop/Poly...Kit-p-433.html
                88 YJ...kinda. Clayton Hard Arms, V8, 1 tons w/Detroits, twin sticked T-18/NP205, Irok's, MasterCrafts, fuel cell, multi-colored

Comment

Originally posted by Wide-J View Post
                  l think the best option would be to bolt the cage to the slider, sandwiching the tub inbetween. Then, instead of just welding a piece of tube between the frame and slider, tie them in with a bushing too. Examples:

http://polyperformance.com/shop/Poly...s-p-16605.html

http://polyperformance.com/shop/Poly...Kit-p-433.html
                  i had always planned to sandwich the tub but i like the bushing idea

Comment

Working...
                  X