Bumper build- JCR style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bumper build- JCR style

I'm building this bumper for pedro and will essentially be a JCR stage 1 without a hoop. unless he can get me some roundbar within the next week i dont think that is happening. It will be a replica of mine but with side protection. The metal is .125 wall 5x2. and the side protection is 2" box tubing with a .125 wall. Everything was goin smooth until I realized the main center beam was cut 4 inches too short. no it wasnt me who did that. so I had to cut the bumper in half and put a 4 inch spacer in. It actually turned out pretty well with the spacer. This is the first bumper I have built and my welds arent perfect but not bad. but I'm just learning, so fuck you bigbadxj. I have most of it done already. I just need to weld up the bottom plate on the end pieces and grind down the welds, and get it fitted properly. Im using 3/16 plate for the mounting brackets and they will be trussed for extra strength. and pete is gonna buy some D ring tabs to weld onto the front from AtoZ fab or BTF or something. not bad for a $50 bucks worth of metal. yay surplus city.

Pics:

Essentially it is going to look like this.

side protection metal:

build pics:

I cut out the end caps by hand out of the 5x2

welded up the main part. with an angle on the end pieces

my welds. go easy on me and the pics are upside down

side protection added. the corner and underside of the end caps will be plated. also the ground down spots in the middle is where i made the spacer. I just need to do a little more grinding to get the high and low spots out but you can barely tell unless you look at it anyway

thats all I have for pics now. and Im out of grinding wheels

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Looking good dude. I need to build a front bumper.
    -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

HOONIGAN FOR LIFE
      OLD 4X4'S NEVER DIE!!!!!

Comment

badass sir. I don't care about pretty welds.
        1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
        1999 sierra
        1967 M725 Big and Slow
        -Dan

Comment

ahem peter, buy these
          http://atozfabrication.com/store/pro...cat=275&page=1

Comment

JCR has them for 13, but a different style. I think i like the A to Z ones better
            P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
            2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
            OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro View Post
              JCR has them for 13, but a different style. I think i like the A to Z ones better
              so order. d rings you can get at tractor supply for cheaper

Comment

Originally posted by CumminsJeep View Post
                so order. d rings you can get at tractor supply for cheaper
                I just ordered the JCR ones. They were 18 shipped whereas A to Z wanted another 12 bucks for shipping
                P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
                2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
                OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

what kind of welder are you using?

Comment

Nice work. I'm planning the same design for my first welding project in the next few weeks....except using 2"x5" tubing with 3/16" wall.

I'm going with a front hoop that comes up a little higher....up to the top height of the header panel.

Gotta love DIY and the $$ savings

Comment

Originally posted by CumminsJeep View Post
                      eff those, get one that goes THROUGH the bumper onto the mounting plates.

Comment

Originally posted by fullwidthxj191 View Post
                        what kind of welder are you using?
                        lincoln 175 mig

Comment

Working...
                        X