Welders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welders

I wasn't sure where to post this topic, but I guess it's fab related.So here's what I'm thinking.
    I work at a college where I can take classes for free. I took welding class a zillion years ago when I was in the automotive program, but that was long ago and that shit didn't stick to my teflon coated brain. I'm thinking that when the tax return money comes in that I should buy a welder so I can do my own fab work and welding related repairs.At this point i don't know jack shit about welders. My long term plan is that once my XJ is no longer a DD I would like to fab a cage and a home brew long arm suspension without adding much more(if any) lift.(it's at 3" now) Stiffening up the unibody rails should be done as well.
    So I can take the welding course at work, but I'm not sure what would be a good budget friendly welder for the kind of work I would like to do.I'm guessing my budget will be around $800 or less. Eventually I'll need a bender that doesn't suck as well. I'll be running this truck as a DD for another 2 to 3 years, so I have plenty of time to collect the tools I'll need. I was hoping some of you guys might have some input so I can set myself some goals on this project well in advance.

I am most likely going to buy this once my budget allows for it, Hobart Handler 140 mig refurbished for 400 bucks.

http://www.toolking.com/hobartwelders_500500a.aspx

Some people will say it's too small, but Sam recommended it to me and he uses the same welder and has never had a weld fail in like 2 or 3 years.

Comment

i bought a northern tool welder last december and it has been one of the best investments ever. you can weld plenty of shit to your jeep with it and it is so useful.
      http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...2691_200332691

it is a great little welder and nearly as powerful as the hobart 140 which i was going to buy until i found this on sale for 300.

Comment

my 140 amp hobart gets any jeep related job done

welds up to 1/4" steel no problem in a single pass. I have also done some 1/2" thick shit and some 2" solid stock. control arms to bumpers to axle brackets to unibody reinforcement
        www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Millermatic 180 I think can be had for around 800. They are a great all-round machine for that kind of budget. Or if you can find an old Millermatic 35 they are kickass machines
          1950 Willys Trail Rig
          2007.5 Dodge 2500 QCSB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 4x4

Comment

I've got an older Millermatic 200 and I love it...I just need to learn to use it better. I paid a couple hundred for it and put a new liner and whatnot in it. The spot-weld timer is a really nice feature to have. Best $500 I've spent!
            88 YJ...kinda. Clayton Hard Arms, V8, 1 tons w/Detroits, twin sticked T-18/NP205, Irok's, MasterCrafts, fuel cell, multi-colored

Comment

i went on craigslist and got a Lincoln 175, 220v for $450 and it was brand new, there are deals to be had. i would stick to miller, Lincoln, or hobart and just look used.
              "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

i've got a friend with a lincoln electric wirematic 250, 220v he asking like $1100
                1991 YJ, 1 tons, locked, lots o armor, stretched, cage

Comment

go brand names, lincoln, miller, hobart

ive had the best luck with lincoln, every one ive used, was super easy to get perfect and worked flawlessly for me, i gotta licoln 175 for practically nothing, but i use my buddy's lincoln more than it
                  87 toy: SAS, detroit, 5 speed swap, 36 TSLs, glass fenders, tons of homemade goodies...scrapped
                  94 toy: ex cab, 3.slow, bumpers, detroit, 33s, DD
                  88 Zuki: buick 3.8, th350, linkin it with toy axles, duals, tubified...watch for a build

Lead Foot Fab....keep an out for it...

Comment

Miller and Hobart are the same. Miller owns Hobart. Lincoln is good too! I only see Millers and Lincolns on jobsites and they get abused!
                    HOONIGAN FOR LIFE
                    OLD 4X4'S NEVER DIE!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X