need some input on a toolbox idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need some input on a toolbox idea

A while back i remember AJ's talking about possibly making tool boxes that replace the very back corner windows of an xj with tool boxes that you can access from the outside. Only about 8-12 inches deep that you could fit tow straps, etc. simple shit like that, just so it didn't interfere with cargo room too much.

The idea struck me as something that would be bad ass and i'm just trying to think this through as to how hard it would be. I'm thinking some 1/8" sheet would be perfect, and i'm trying to think of a good way to seal it from water. Obviously I would have to remove the glass, strip the edges down to bare and weld the box in.

This idea may not happen for some time, obviously it wouldn't be on the list of my priorities with my build, just something i want to start throwing ideas around with. Post up some suggestions/what you think of it.
    Last edited by Even; 06-01-2009, 12:09 AM.

your thinking almost along the lines of the tool boxes that go on the sides of the beds of trucks?
    1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
    2001 wj tbd
    1974 5 ton

Comment

Originally posted by raze1287 View Post
      your thinking almost along the lines of the tool boxes that go on the sides of the beds of trucks?
      exactly, but something that i would weld up to be part of the unibody in place of the windows

Comment

Originally posted by fullwidthxj191 View Post
        exactly, but something that i would weld up to be part of the unibody in place of the windows
        in my honest opinion it seems like a waste. could convert your rear bumper in to one.
        1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
        2001 wj tbd
        1974 5 ton

Comment

in my honest opinion it seems like a waste. could convert your rear bumper in to one.
          Not following you as for the rear bumper...All i'm picturing is a rear bumper with room to store shit that eats up clearance. Elaborate.

If i can get material cheap enough, it sounds like a cool project to me. Easy to reach storage space that doesn't interfere with cargo room/isn't in the way of anything. It's not like the back corner windows see much more than sticker space anyways.
          Last edited by Even; 06-01-2009, 01:05 AM.

Comment

really how much stuff do you need to carry that doesnt fit in a regular tool box that you can bolt to the floor. besides spare shafts and stuff. like a craftsmen tool box thats like 30" wide?
            2001 wj tbd
            1974 5 ton

Comment

really how much stuff do you need to carry that doesnt fit in a regular tool box that you can bolt to the floor. besides spare shafts and stuff. like a craftsmen tool box thats like 30" wide?
              Main reason is because i like having my 37" spare on the floor in the back. Fuck putting it on the roof, and a rear carrier fucks your visibility plus most tire carrier bumpers cost a shit-ton not to mention you lose some departure with them.

Plus i just think it would be a unique idea that i haven't seen done before, It's something I would put a lot of thought into before i attempted cutting out my rear glass.

Put it this way, when i rode with Sam (who has a similar setup to what i am going for) i could barely sit in his backseat even after he folded down the larger side of his 60/40 split bench seat.

Comment

Main reason is because i like having my 37" spare on the floor in the back. Fuck putting it on the roof, and a rear carrier fucks your visibility plus most tire carrier bumpers cost a shit-ton not to mention you lose some departure with them.
                Here mine... w/ 37" spare in the trunk. I still sit 4 people inc myself comfortably. I have pretty good visibility.

99 Dub Ya Jay

My Adventures Thread
                http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15148

Comment

Hey Box there's a rock stuck under ur front tire dude
                  DONT GET MAD GET ROWDY !!!

Comment

hmm I don't understand this plan. So you're planning on taking out your windows and making them tool boxes?
                    1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
                    1999 sierra
                    1967 M725 Big and Slow
                    -Dan

Comment

just the very back corner ones, the door windows will remain, it's still an idea i'm not sure if i want to go through with it yet

Comment

i would make a mock up of cardboard of exactly how big they are going to be. then tape them to the inside of your windows, drive around and look at if for a few days and see if you like it. thats step one.
                        "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

Originally posted by wannabejeep View Post
                          hmm I don't understand this plan. So you're planning on taking out your windows and making them tool boxes?
                          like dis, latch towards the bottom and maybe even like small gas (shocks?whatever they are) that hold them up when open like the hatch

Originally posted by grundlepunch View Post
                          i would make a mock up of cardboard of exactly how big they are going to be. then tape them to the inside of your windows, drive around and look at if for a few days and see if you like it. thats step one.
                          yea that's one thing i might be concered about, visibility and just overall if it is even going to look good

btw how hard is it to remove glass, obviously i don't feel like punching it out to clean up glass shards all day

Comment

btw how hard is it to remove glass, obviously i don't feel like punching it out to clean up glass shards all day
                            pry the seal from the metal side and work around the window and it will fall out
                            "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

I had thought a lot about doing this when i first got my 2dr but it seems like itll be a pain in the ass for minimal gain. just build a box in the back of your jeep to put shit under and put the spare on top of that.

And depending on the bumper you will get a better departure angle.

Comment

Working...
                              X