Welding to cast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding to cast

my 44 has the cast wedges, which i've already chopped up quite a bit. here's the question though....

TnT truss.... 3/16 steel i believe... can it be welded to the cast using a stick welder with nickel rod??

i've heard a couple time nickel rod can be used to weld cast but never anything 100%. i figured someone in here might now if this is true.
    Last edited by Ktmracer419; 04-29-2009, 08:24 PM.
    No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
    Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

yea, with proper preheating.

never done it before.

but i would imagine those welds not to be too critical seeing as its all one monster piece welded to many areas
    www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

see thats what i thought, cause the thing is held on by such massive welds on the tubes ehhhh we'll see what happens
      No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
      Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

I don't think the TNT truss is supposed to be welded to the cast, you could do it i'm sure, but i don't really see any need for it. My truss is just welded all across the tubes and i HIGHLY doubt something would bend or break.

Comment

Originally posted by fullwidthxj191 View Post
          I don't think the TNT truss is supposed to be welded to the cast, you could do it i'm sure, but i don't really see any need for it. My truss is just welded all across the tubes and i HIGHLY doubt something would bend or break.
          yea, its hard to break stuff when you don't wheel
          www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

I have used 7018 to weld inner C's to axle tubes and brackets to diff housings without problems. I like to preheat
            1950 Willys Trail Rig
            2007.5 Dodge 2500 QCSB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post
              yea, its hard to break stuff when you don't wheel

l o f-n l
              "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

I believe Dana uses Nodular Steel castings which you can weld to.
                I know you can weld to the D60 with no problems.
                Try doing some internet searches.
                The tubes are plug welded in, correct?

Preheat will give you better penetration and post heat will allow it to cool of uniformly.
                If one area cools off faster it puts a lot of internal stress which will cause the weld to crack.
                RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Heat schmeat, jb weld is just as good and is only $8
                  dirty30

Comment

ive always been told you have to get cast red before you weld it

Comment

Originally posted by Pat View Post
                      ive always been told you have to get cast red before you weld it
                      it should be slowly brought up in temperature from about 500* to 1200* anything above that will crack it. i have also read you can freeze it but never seen that used before.
                      1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
                      2001 wj tbd
                      1974 5 ton

Comment

Working...
                      X