No announcement yet.

Ecotec Buggy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I've been busy even though it doesn't look like much each little part takes time.
    But this is what I got so far.

The axles are coming along machining the Super Duty unit bearings to 5 on 5.5, and the rotors to fit.
    Just looking up all the different parts needed take a lot of time.

I spent a little bit of time looking up a Jana 54 axle Dana 50 gears in a Dana 44.
    I have the stock D50 gears so I was going to install them into the Dana 44 housing with a welded carrier, 30 spline and run the stock D50 shaft for now.

Later Upgrade to 35 spline ARB makes 35 spline locker I also talked to Motive Gear they said they should have a 35 spline Spool on the market next year. I hope they keep their promise.
    Yukon said they have no intentions going after the 35 spline D44 market.

I'm going to be order Axle tubing soon. I should be able to get everything tacked I don't want to set my caster until the end.

Buggies are a lot of work but will be so worth it when I'm finished.

I also just got an engine stand so next is to start working on the Ecotec.
    Balance shaft delete replumbing the breather to the middle of the engine so it will not spill oil on a roll over. (just an idea I had).

RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
    www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
    Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Got the D50 gears to fit in the D44 housing.

Started working on the Unit Bearings. Just need to drill the holes.

Had to open up the rotors too.

The axle is almost here, then I can start tubing the axles.
      I started making the bearing pucks for the rear Set20 flanges and already made a buck for the front unit bearing.
      Try to keep everything in line.
      RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5

Sponsors:
      Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

This is a slow project I know.
        But I ordered the brake caliper brackets I hope they work.
        I got 79 GM G1500 etc. calipers.

The Dodge rotors are 1.22" wide the Metric calipers are to skinny plus the largest (large bore) piston is only 2.75" the GM standard calipers OEM are 2.8 or so.
        I crossed reference the Standard D52 pad that works on the GM standard caliper that Speedwaymotors bracket suggests to use (75 Comaro etc) but are only for 1" wide rotors the truck calipers are for 1.25" wide rotors.

So I'll find out if they fit in a couple days I don't see why not.

I did cross reference some rotors 5 on 5.5 is hard to find especially in knock off form except dodge pick-up and Kia's so if you need 5 on 5.5 check out Kia one version is a little smaller diameter and skinner and one is taller and wider I forget the exact numbers but like 11.5" x 1"

I'm ordering my clutch today.
        RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5

Sponsors:

Comment

you do some amazing work justin!

Comment

I also took apart the Ecotec motor over the weekend.
            Removed the balance shafts snapped one of the stupid bolts in the timing chain guide, I drilled it out but just another thing on the list to get.

I removed the balance shafts the bushings were fun to remove they are really deep into the housing in a blind hole I ended up using a bunch and pushed the bushing further into the housing where it got wider then spun it sideways us the punch again to flatten it then it came right out.
            I tired a slide hammer but couldn't get a good grip on it. But the other way went pretty quick.

No I just have to figure out what size the bushing bore is so I can block off the oil port.

I also had ideas of running the breather to the middle of the engine so no matter what angle the engine is at the oil wouldn't leak out. But after taking the oil pan and valve cover off that has got to be one of the tightest packed engines I've seen. There is no way I'm going to deal with all that crap.

Take 2, I've decided to vent the sides of the engine block.
            I'll vent to both sides of the engine then route the tubing to the other side. If I roll on that side the other breather will vent out, and I cannot see how the oil will be able to hit both breathers at the same time.
            Basically the center of the block on both the left and right side right in the balance shaft passage which is no longer used.

I cannot see any issue with moving the vent from the valve cover to the block.
            I'll also be removing the PCV system so no chance of hydro-locking the motor.
            From my research/Pirate PCV valves not only are emission related but also increase HP the vacuum seals the piston walls better or something like that and you can get about 10hp. But not having to worry about hydro-locking is more important to me.
            I will be running 1/2 or -8an lines on both sides so I think that should be enough venting.

But only time will tell if this stuff will really work.

I'll get some pictures when I start putting it back together.
            RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5

Sponsors:

Comment

Just the latest picture of my buggy model.
              I got most of the big stuff in space now Just need to design the chassis.

What do you guys think.
              The 3rd Propane, tank would be for long trips/weekends or long races. just figure I would add the extra space in the chassis while I'm designing it.

I tried mounting the Spare tire were I would have the best view.

RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5

Sponsors:

Comment

looks awesome man biggest thing about tire carriers and mounting flat like that is make sure it isn't up to high and you can easily reach the bolts to remove it hahaha. Ian Johnson knows alittle about that one, right phil.....

I spent some time at the parts store today. Decided on returning the smaller GM calipers i got for the rear, and going with the larger ones. Found that the calipers from a 79 chevy K10 were exactly what i was looking for and then the rotors from the 99 Ram 1500 were the perfect match. thanks for all that help earlier i screwed up and originally bought the smaller caliper, basically the ones i guess you would use when doing a disc setup on something like a 44 where you would be using the thinner non vented 5x4.5 eldorado rotors. anyways thanks again

How long does a propane tank last??? is there anyway to know if you'd really need 3 of them?? I mean i couldn't imagine that a pit stop during a race it would take crazy long to put a full one in. but then again i don't really know how they are even mounted in there... i'm assuming its some sort of strap with a ratchet type deal.
                No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Originally posted by JeepBabiiXJ View Post

How long does a propane tank last??? is there anyway to know if you'd really need 3 of them??
                  most racing propane setups i have seen have had 2 forklift tanks

then again most racing propane setups i have seen change to fuel injection the next season..
                  - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                  or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                  Originally posted by DizzDizz
                  aliens probed my husband

Comment

yea those propane tanks go quick. chris had 3 forklift tanks on the big bronco and they didn't even make a 2 and a half hour trip to rausch. had to find a refill on the side of the road. they're not that hard to swap out tho. faster than refueling i think if u did it a couple times. they just unclip and pop out than pop a full one in and hook the hose and go!
                    2 tj's
                    3 yj's
                    2 xj's
                    i'm a jeep whore

"id walk 6 hours one way to suck a fart out of megan fox's ass"

Comment

Thanks for the info on the tire carrier. I'll figure something out.
                      I'm just trying to place the tire where I can still see and as low as possible.

Basically I've been told a gallon of propane last as long as gallon of gas the 30lb tanks have about 8 gallons so how far can you drive on 16gallons. And you get to use every last drop of propane.

Chris probably running too rich that is why he ran out of gas.
                      You can get a air/fuel mixture gauge and tune the mixture you can run it a little lean
                      for more mileage without hurting the engine. That is what Ian did.
                      He said he didn't have any issues except when they went out on an empty tank.
                      I just figure what the hell see if I can stick on a 3rd tank.
                      That 3rd tank will be right in my line of sight.

Most guys swap over because it is hard to get propane especially out in desert.
                      Gotpropane brought out a propane filling truck to the KOH for Ian.

The chassis is pretty wide, I plan on adding nerf bars half way up to protect me and keep the trees away.

The GM metric calipers work just smaller you can buy aftermarket ones wider, plus the cady ones have E-brake built in, all depends how much braking you need.
                      I went with larger brakes, rather spend the weight, and have good stopping power.
                      RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5

Sponsors:

Comment

Latest model.
                        Man this is a lot of work.
                        Anyways modeling around full compression right now.
                        That is on 16 ORI struts with 10" compression 6 extension.
                        I made the bottom of the rims level with the skid plate, figure that is a good starting point, not to bottom out off a jump with low air pressure.

RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5

Sponsors:

Comment

Originally posted by Arundlemcbrundle View Post
                          yea those propane tanks go quick. chris had 3 forklift tanks on the big bronco and they didn't even make a 2 and a half hour trip to rausch. had to find a refill on the side of the road. they're not that hard to swap out tho. faster than refueling i think if u did it a couple times. they just unclip and pop out than pop a full one in and hook the hose and go!
                          propane burns suck though
                          1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
                          1999 sierra
                          1967 M725 Big and Slow
                          -Dan

Comment

Originally posted by customcreationsllc View Post
                            Chris probably running too rich that is why he ran out of gas.
                            You can get a air/fuel mixture gauge and tune the mixture you can run it a little lean
                            for more mileage without hurting the engine. That is what Ian did.
                            What does he have the guage hooked up to? I dont have oxygen sensors. I believe a wideband sensor is the best bet for accuracy but they can be expensive. Is this correct?

So far I have found kits for about $180. I dont need anything special because im running propane right? The sensor just senses air IIRC.
                            Last edited by Customjob; 01-15-2011, 08:19 AM.
                            2 Broncos are better than 1

Comment

Hey justin what software are you using for this?
                              98 Cherokee, D30/8.25 w/4.56s locked F/R -- 3 link front IRO springs rear with shackle relocation, one ton steering w/heims, hybrid cage under contruction, 33'' KM2's

Comment

thats solidworks.
                                No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                                Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Working...
                                X