No announcement yet.

The HeavyMetal Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• only way to find out is to try em. if they don't work out, cut em out and weld in some new shackle mounts
    I drive a Datsun

Comment

• Originally posted by Supermanxj View Post
      YUP.... at ride hieght they sit on the stops IIRC.
      But prove me wrong.
      They do not sit on the stops at ride height.
      - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
      or am asians pants not a read end lol.
      Originally posted by DizzDizz
      aliens probed my husband

Comment

• - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

• see my next post after that.
          2013 F150 fx4 (Tow Pig/DD)
          • 5.0 with the 3.73 option

2003 TJ Rubicon
          • 4.0/42rle/np241or
          • 5.13's
          • 3" Savvy/Currie suspension with acos
          • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

• Fair
            - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

• i think the sliders will work really well all the way around.

I have always been a fan of them, i think for crawling they deff allow the leaf to move the most and provide awesome articulation. As for going fast the way i see it, there's two things that can happen, and it all depends on where they sit at ride height, if they are more towards the front then they have more travel backwards, which would be beneficial at speed also chances are the axle will contact the bumpstop before the slider hits the back of the box. So as long as they are placed in the right spot, which i have no doubt they won't be, considering these are one of my favorite things that tim does, and i think he does really well.

Needless to say, without getting anymore longwinded i think they will be sweetttt
              No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
              Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

• Originally posted by JeepBabiiXJ View Post
                So as long as they are placed in the right spot,
                This is what it all comes down to. These can be set up to have the spring sit where ever you want in it at ride height, and thats the beauty of it
                - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

• need more pics of mounting

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

• Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                    This is what it all comes down to. These can be set up to have the spring sit where ever you want in it at ride height, and thats the beauty of it
                    precisely, if you were rock crawling more you'd probably want it more centered or towards the back to allow for alot of articulation up or down but probably more downtravel.

Whereas for going fast you'd set them up to be farther foward at ride height so they can move back farther in travel, cause i'm assuming you'd want more uptravel, in an xj rear its not a crazy thing to worry about either cause on 10" travel shocks.... theres only 10" of travel, so set it in a location so that when the bumpstop is contacted you got about .5" to the back of the rail for the slider, and all should be good and dandy.

like i said, i think it'll work really well. as far as force is concerned diverting it laterally complements the moving of the leaf spring better than a conventional shackle.
                    Last edited by Zullock Holmes; 12-01-2010, 11:08 PM. Reason: grammatical correction
                    No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                    Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

precisely, if you were rock crawling more you'd probably want it more centered or towards the back to allow for alot of articulation up or down but probably more downtravel.

Whereas for going fast you'd set them up to be farther foward at ride height so they can move back farther in travel, cause i'm assuming you'd want more uptravel, in an xj rear its not a crazy thing to worry about either cause on 10" travel shocks.... theres only 10" of travel, so set it where when the bumpstop is contacted you got about .5" to the back of the rail for the slider, and all should be good and dandy.

like i said, i think it'll work really well. as far as force is concerned diverting it laterally complement the moving of the leaf spring better than a conventional shackle.
                      my thoughts as well

Comment

• How do you adjust where the spring sits??? I am having trouble imagining how to adjust it.

2003 TJ Rubicon
                        • 4.0/42rle/np241or
                        • 5.13's
                        • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

How do you adjust where the spring sits??? I am having trouble imagining how to adjust it.
                          you adjust it by where you mount it.

Comment

• Are they adjustable mounting???? Or do ya weld em' in?? I am going to write a book about heavy and i need to know the details.

2003 TJ Rubicon
                            • 4.0/42rle/np241or
                            • 5.13's
                            • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

I am going to write a book about heavy and i need to know the details.

You weld em in.

Think of it this way...the center of the spring is locked into position where it is, as well as the forward part of the spring....the spring moves nowhere from its center position, linearly.

You weld the slider in the spot that the spring eye sits in the middle (or whatever you want) in the slot with the vehicle sitting on it at ride height....when you flex, or compress the spring at all, all it does is flatten the spring, in place, as the spring flattens the length of it increases, those allowing the spring eye to slide inside the slider box towards the back. on rebound it slides back towards the front. The idea with 10" of up and down travel in the back, you find a happy spot in there and have the slider slide within the constraints of the slot of the unit based on the compression of the spring and throughout all travel
                              - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

i think for crawling they deff allow the leaf to move the most and provide awesome articulation
                                You will get more articulation out of a longer shackle than a slider setup ,unless you made a super long slider. The tradeoff is that you gain a lot more stability.

Keep it goin Will, I'm definetly jealous of the progress.

Comment

Working...
                                X