No announcement yet.

The HeavyMetal Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• they sell high impact oil filled UMHW i kinda want to just get some cuz it sounds so badass haha. Very interested in how the sliders work out for you.

Comment

• I dont see how it would be an advantage... it seems like it would be rather rough in the whoops when it hits the back stop. and noisy
      2013 F150 fx4 (Tow Pig/DD)
      • 5.0 with the 3.73 option

2003 TJ Rubicon
      • 4.0/42rle/np241or
      • 5.13's
      • 3" Savvy/Currie suspension with acos
      • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

• Originally posted by Supermanxj View Post
        I dont see how it would be an advantage... it seems like it would be rather rough in the whoops when it hits the back stop. and noisy
        I was thinking the same, but we shall find out.
        sigpic
        Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

• Originally posted by Supermanxj View Post
          I dont see how it would be an advantage... it seems like it would be rather rough in the whoops when it hits the back stop. and noisy
          what would make it rough? the spring is still a spring, the only thing missing from the equation is a 2nd bushing on the shackle

whats the physical difference between a shackle running out of movement/bottoming and the slider doing the same?
          - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
          or am asians pants not a read end lol.
          Originally posted by DizzDizz
          aliens probed my husband

Comment

• i think the question is - how often would an xj shackle bottom out vs how much travel is in the slider. if it's long enough there shouldn't be an issue
            I drive a Datsun

Comment

• Originally posted by Burton58 View Post
              i think the question is - how often would an xj shackle bottom out vs how much travel is in the slider. if it's long enough there shouldn't be an issue
              "travel" in a slider doesnt determine suspension travel...that would make some sense if it was a link arm or rigid connection

the motion in the slider is linear, as opposed to levered in a shackle, they both do the same thing
              - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

• UMHLOLWTFSTTHOLYFUCKSTICKSTIKSHITBRBLWP
                No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

• Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                  "travel" in a slider doesnt determine suspension travel...that would make some sense if it was a link arm or rigid connection

the motion in the slider is linear, as opposed to levered in a shackle, they both do the same thing
                  See, I'm ignorant on this topic, but I assumed that when the vehicle was at ride height, the bolt inside the slider would be all the way to the rear, against the slider stop, obviously, and when weight is taken off of the vehicle such as flex or in a 3 feet of air situation, the slider slides to the front.

From what I am understanding from Josh's post is that when the vehicle gets off the ground and comes back down, the sliding bolt returning to it's ride height location would cause the roughness, but I think your shocks would absorb that, instead, you would get a loud noise.
                  sigpic

Comment

• what i mean is the leaf spring has to flex upwards which pushes the rear eye outward. therefor as long as the slider is long enough and set up in the right location you shouldn't bottom out on it right?
                    I drive a Datsun

Comment

• Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
                      See, I'm ignorant on this topic, but I assumed that when the vehicle was at ride height, the bolt inside the slider would be all the way to the rear, against the slider stop, obviously, and when weight is taken off of the vehicle such as flex or in a 3 feet of air situation, the slider slides to the front.

From what I am understanding from Josh's post is that when the vehicle gets off the ground and comes back down, the sliding bolt returning to it's ride height location would cause the roughness, but I think your shocks would absorb that, instead, you would get a loud noise.
                      The slider doesnt sit maxed out at ride height. The bolt "floats" in the slider, and as the spring flattens out on compression it lengthens, pushing the bolt backwards in the same way it would lever a shackle backwards...the slider rail is situated on an angle. For it to constantly "bottom out" the spring would have to flatten enough to "reach" the end of the slider slot, otherwise the axle is located in position via the ubolts and front end of the leaf
                      - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

• Originally posted by Burton58 View Post
                        what i mean is the leaf spring has to flex upwards which pushes the rear eye outward. therefor as long as the slider is long enough and set up in the right location you shouldn't bottom out on it right?
                        what youre saying is right
                        - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

• Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                          The slider doesnt sit maxed out at ride height. The bolt "floats" in the slider, and as the spring flattens out on compression it lengthens, pushing the bolt backwards in the same way it would lever a shackle backwards...the slider rail is situated on an angle. For it to constantly "bottom out" the spring would have to flatten enough to "reach" the end of the slider slot, otherwise the axle is located in position via the ubolts and front end of the leaf
                          Gotcha. Makes perfect sense.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post

YUP.... at ride hieght they sit on the stops IIRC. the spring still does its job but the shackle gives the spring rearward movement where as the slider box on compression will be at the stop... therefore a rougher ride. a shackle will hit on alotta compression in the rear bulkhead but that is what bumps are for... With you could adjust your bumps to take some of the firmness out with at slider but in the end you will still have a firm ride (ever ride on the bumps it sux.)

But prove me wrong. This is the way it is going through my head...

2003 TJ Rubicon
                            • 4.0/42rle/np241or
                            • 5.13's
                            • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

• thats what i thought. i wasn't really comparing shackles vs sliders, just that if both are setup correctly they don't bottom out. though do xj shackles bottom out often? i've never really noticed
                              I drive a Datsun

Comment

• Well then just read the response... kewl. I am not a fan (for what you plan on doing with your jeep ie. all around good ridin jeep. now if it was a straight crawler or oval car...) as of right now... but i will keep my mind open before i open my mouth more.

2003 TJ Rubicon
                                • 4.0/42rle/np241or
                                • 5.13's
                                • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

Working...
                                X