Clear All

• thats teh idea
    - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
    or am asians pants not a read end lol.
    Originally posted by DizzDizz
    aliens probed my husband

Comment

• yea the only problem is, idk how big they make those countersunk ones and if they make them in grade 8 as well.

I'm sure we could figure out a mounting plate that uses more than 4 of those and has studs for the winch though. Wouldn't be too complicated.
      No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
      Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

• Originally posted by JeepBabiiXJ View Post
        yea the only problem is, idk how big they make those countersunk ones and if they make them in grade 8 as well.

I'm sure we could figure out a mounting plate that uses more than 4 of those and has studs for the winch though. Wouldn't be too complicated.
        thats the only thing i couldn't find either. i did find 12.9 12mm by xx lengths at fastenal.

Comment

• Make a subframe behind the face of the bumper so you can use the required hardware, make a cover plate that sits flush and countersink hardware into that so that the face of the bumper is smooth. you would need another inch of space to make something like that work, but it wouldnt be too hard to do.

This is also good, because when you counter sink you get rid of material, so im not sure how that effects strength.
          "Watching you work on your Jeep is like watching a doctor operate on a cadaver...
          It may be good practice, but in the end it won't do much good." -My Mother.

Comment

• Double nut it, put in lathe head out and taper?
            I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

• Originally posted by ninetysix-ex-jay View Post
              Double nut it, put in lathe head out and taper?
              hmm, forgot we had a lathe to use. seems like this would make sense
              - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

• Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                hmm, forgot we had a lathe to use. seems like this would make sense
                I'm sure Phil can taper, I dont remember if his shop had the attachment or not

Comment

• Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                  thanks boss for 4x4 101 , but cherokees (and everything) have been mounting winches base-down also for millennia with no issues.

if i go base forward, crosby mentioned the possibility of flat face allen head bolts last night (wish i thought of that), i just need to find shit strong enough, which i havent looked for yet
                  That would be clean. Just stay away from the stainless ones, they are too soft.
                  -Erik
                  Miller Motorsports #4421 : 1st Overall - 2010 Ultra4 IEC Series , 2010 Line Mtn. Race Series
                  Thanks to: BFGoodrich, Spidertrax, The Axle Exchange, Metro Printing & Promo, North Jersey Jeep Club, CTM, RadFlo Shocks, Schwanke Engines, HeavyMetalConcepts, EMS Offroad

Comment

• good to know, ive never messed much with that stuff
                    - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

• Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed View Post
                      Make a subframe behind the face of the bumper so you can use the required hardware, make a cover plate that sits flush and countersink hardware into that so that the face of the bumper is smooth. you would need another inch of space to make something like that work, but it wouldnt be too hard to do.

This is also good, because when you counter sink you get rid of material, so im not sure how that effects strength.
                      That's the way i'd do it.

if there is a large shear stress (force applied perpendicularly to the body of the fastener) on the countersunk fasteners then yes they are weaker than using standard bolt.

As long as the majority of the forces these bolts will see are normal stresses (compression/tension) then they will be fine. In this case, the surface area actually increases when countersinking.

As long as you can find grade 8 stuff and you put the fairlead on the mounting plate itself so that the forces are applied properly when you use the winch, i see no issue with it.

ForSure Motorsports
                      Win or Lose, We Booze.

Comment

• Originally posted by ninetysix-ex-jay View Post
                        I'm sure Phil can taper, I dont remember if his shop had the attachment or not
                        We have a taper attachment on the smaller machine.

Also, if you're worried about strength, the nuts on the bottom of my bumper holding the winch down are welded to the bumper. Could also do a few spots for extra reinforcement.
                        Last edited by Buffalo Phil; 10-26-2011, 07:11 PM.
                        sigpic
                        Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

• If your wanted to use cap screws it might be a better idea to counter bore them instead of counter sink because the taper will cut into the recess where the allen bit goes.

Comment

• God, just buy them....

Pictures for ease.

ForSure Motorsports
                            Win or Lose, We Booze.

Comment

• i know what the fawkin product looks like............

you got a link to the proper rated stuff?
                              - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

• Originally posted by JeepBabiiXJ View Post
                                God, just buy them....

Pictures for ease.
                                yeah because thats not a #10 or anything. Those work well holding up dome lights maybe

Comment

Working...
                                X