The HeavyMetal Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JeepBabiiXJ View Post
    I'll have time to do it once i'm my school schedule, so january over winter break we can get it done. You just have to survive the frigid, heatless working environment of the claytonian winters.

If you can wait, january is still very much the "off-season". I need to transfer what i have so far from CAD to bendtech.
    if my jeep is going to KOH, Jan might be a little tight. we will talk
    - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
    or am asians pants not a read end lol.
    Originally posted by DizzDizz
    aliens probed my husband

Comment

• it'll be early january, first couple weeks. If i can get everything into bendtech correctly and my measurements/math are right, it will go suprisingly fast.
      No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
      Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

• Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
        THE OFFSEASON HATH BEGUN.

That means its time for some mindless and unnecessary reworking of my Jeep as per the addiction/sickness' rules.

Just picked up Warn as a client ( ) and I will be getting a Warn winch in the process...FINALLY.
        Been following JCR's product line reworking over the last couple of weeks, and their new bumper line has impressed the fawk out of me (similar to rigidco)...I think it is time my existing one saw some updates in preparation for winch duty.

not changing my pushbar/stinger, but the angled faces on the bottom of the bumper will be a nice addition, and better side protection pieces than I have

I would like to have the winch mounted behind the bumper out of sight, probably trimming out the crossmember on the jeep to accomplish it..and then maybe a skid just to protect it/that area..maybe.

Still looking to do the engine cage. Paging Tim Diekmann? ( i KNOW you love XJ cages)
        I LOVE my JCR stage 4 front, it's got a build-in receiver box so I could run a winch, and pull it off so there's no theft accurances from people with sticky fingers.
        Last edited by clean4drxj; 10-21-2011, 08:41 AM.

Comment

• Love my winch behind the crossmember. I could post pics when I get home if you like

Comment

• plz do, id appreciate it

ive never paid enough attention as i should have to peoples setups like that in the past...always figured id be too cheap for a winch

you oughta make a buildthread
            - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

plz do, id appreciate it

ive never paid enough attention as i should have to peoples setups like that in the past...always figured id be too cheap for a winch

you oughta make a buildthread

i was thinking about making a build thread the other day the other day actually

i was to cheap for one when i was ordering my bumper too. but i got sick of situations where you need to tie up 3 trucks and yank one guy out like this

these are all cellphone pics i havent been able to get to my compter

the crossmember is still in, just cut out for the line to feed through 12 bolts holding it in not incuding the framrail brackets

notched my jcr bumper and got a hawse cause rollers are GHEY

removed my AC condenser since my AC didnt work anyways.. and put my solenoid box in the grill

edit: clocked the winch so it was easier to engage the clutch.

end result in this

i ran into a few problems though. ive got a durango steering box that made me push the winch over more (3/4"-1.25" i forget) causing the mech fan blade to hit the winch, so i removed it and replaced it with another stock efan out of a 99. alot of people say that isnt enough to keep it cool but theres a thread on NAXJA(dirtbound offroad) about the CFM numbers with 2 stock e-fans and its enough to keep cool IMO, plus not having the condensor air gets to the rad faster/easier. i also have hood vents. i also broke my hand when my drill caught drilling this

that said my temp is around 200 on the road with no fans running and while moving on trails. about 210 with both fans on stuck in a washout in 103 degree weather

if i had to do it again i would have cut the whole crosmember out and had the winch sit closer to the bumper saving me the hassle of this cooling/fan bologna. hope any of this helps
              Last edited by lilnapsak; 10-22-2011, 02:55 PM.

Comment

• I believe its the warn XD 9000 winch is one of the few that will fit behind the crossmember in the factory location. Like so, http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthrea...ch+crossmember

Or if your poor like me and cant afford a Warn winch but want to keep it from being in front of the radiator you can mount it in front of the crossmember.

98 Cherokee, D30/8.25 w/4.56s locked F/R -- 3 link front IRO springs rear with shackle relocation, one ton steering w/heims, hybrid cage under contruction, 33'' KM2's

Comment

• i like both those setups. i would just strengthen the cross member a bunch first
                  Dizz dizz go sleep sleep

Driver 4677 FSM vehicle

Comment

• Yea i cut out a little of the factory crossmemeber and graphed in a piece of 6x2 angle iron.
                    98 Cherokee, D30/8.25 w/4.56s locked F/R -- 3 link front IRO springs rear with shackle relocation, one ton steering w/heims, hybrid cage under contruction, 33'' KM2's

Comment

• saw one of these stubbys over the weekend.

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1071333

Comment

• i was talkin to someone about those a couple weeks ago oddly...i wanna copy that winch setup..totally forgot it had that

just not totally sure i want bolt faces on my bumper
                        - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

just not totally sure i want bolt faces on my bumper
                          that is the proper way to mount a winch.
                          -Erik
                          Miller Motorsports #4421 : 1st Overall - 2010 Ultra4 IEC Series , 2010 Line Mtn. Race Series
                          Thanks to: BFGoodrich, Spidertrax, The Axle Exchange, Metro Printing & Promo, North Jersey Jeep Club, CTM, RadFlo Shocks, Schwanke Engines, HeavyMetalConcepts, EMS Offroad

Comment

• Originally posted by ne14jpn View Post
                            that is the proper way to mount a winch.
                            thanks boss for 4x4 101 , but cherokees (and everything) have been mounting winches base-down also for millennia with no issues.

if i go base forward, crosby mentioned the possibility of flat face allen head bolts last night (wish i thought of that), i just need to find shit strong enough, which i havent looked for yet
                            - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

• At least this will compensate for your traction issue....well lack of traction issue

Until Maxis realizes their job is to make tires
                              I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

thanks boss for 4x4 101 , but cherokees (and everything) have been mounting winches base-down also for millennia with no issues.

if i go base forward, crosby mentioned the possibility of flat face allen head bolts last night (wish i thought of that), i just need to find shit strong enough, which i havent looked for yet
                                get the countersunk ones, that way you have a flat finished surface
                                No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                                Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Working...
                                X