No announcement yet.

box with big wheels thing i'm making

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why did you go with that ugly ass truss on that thing after all those purdy welds?

Comment

well that's how the 4 link rear kit works, i'm not gonna fab up my own link system and shit.

i was going to do hard line on the axle to soft at the caliper but i'm lazy and never did it, then impatient and got it coated. i'm just running soft from the T fitting on the axle to each caliper.

everything is ordered bow, just waiting on the ups man. while i'm waiting i should take the hubs and rotors of to glass bead then paint since they look like shit on there now.
      Last edited by sardo_67; 05-29-2014, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by crosbike View Post
        Why did you go with that ugly ass truss on that thing after all those purdy welds?
        Didn't wana be that guy..... But yeup.

Function over form I suppose. Still a sick rear axle. Looks like a fun project.
        Originally posted by Ktmracer419
        some people choose video games
        some choose projects
        some choose welding random things together

Comment

What else is there to use? Or you mean just the welds on it?

Comment

I mean that truss is ugly. You coulda made your own and kept the same geometry. Just my thought on it

Comment

Oh ya hahaha I thought about that then said no cause I didn't want to bother with it.

Comment

Well shit....... How do I get it on the ground and under the jeep?

Ok before anyone suggests "gravity" my brother already did an while that would be the easiest way I opted to not scratch it and asked a buddy to stop by. Ended up over here.

Had some random springs laying aroun so I threw themin for now, defiantly going to cut a coil or two off.

Comment

left unit bearing ordered yesterday, will be welding on the front axle this upcoming week. i want at least the inner Cs welded on so i just need to figure out the bracket kit.

Comment

You ended up with daves old bumper now? Holy shit that things a whore

Comment

• Ya that's the good old NAXJA whore bumper. 4th rig it's been on and I'm the 5th owner I believe.

Comment

• Naxja whore?? More like sis

Comment

• Meh idk, I got it from mostly NAXJA guys.

Well I borrowed the plasma cutter from work Thursday then got all boozed up tonight and cut all the rockers out and opened up the rear fenders. Shit I need one of these, each rocker took like 10min.

Ordering some 2x6 box tubing and 1.5 DOM tubing Monday to use to finish the rock rails up. Although I'm not sure if 2x4 would be better. Ideas?

Comment

• Originally posted by sardo_67 View Post
                            Although I'm not sure if 2x4 would be better. Ideas?
                            I went through this same exact dilemma.

Once you cut those rockers out there's a bunch of bolts and shit on the inside that prevent you from just sliding a 2x4 up there and making it level.

I ended up cutting slots into a 2x4 to get it to push all the way up and sit level and then i welded it into place. Did that on both sides. The bottom of the 2x4 pretty much sits level with the bottom of the doors.

I plan on (haven't gotten this far yet) welding a 2x6 under that 2x4 to push the rocker another 2" from the side of the jeep and drove it down another 2" so it actually slides on shit.

Then i'm going to put some round (or maybe square) tubing on the edge of the 2x6 and weld it there. (Obviously i'm going to make it look like a nice side step but you get the picture.)

Make sure you cut some 45s into the ends of the 2x6s and then cap that. If you just leave it flat if you hit something with the front/back of the rocker it tends to just slam into the rocker. The 45 helps it start sliding over it. Ask me how i know.
                            Hudson

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121903

No Amount Of Money Is Worth Your Sanity.

Comment

• Hmmm. Didn't think to put a 2x6 under it but I like that idea, I'll be using tubing on mine similar to the JCR bolt ons and caping the ends to match the curve of the wheel wells what ever that may end up being.

I have free 2x4 available right now I'll weld in and figure out the next step from there.

Comment

• Pass side all cut out the other night. Harbor freight fire/welding blankets really saved the tires and would suggest grabbing one to anyone working on their jeep.

Cut off the front leaf mounts since I'm beyond the point of no return with the 4 link, and the driver one is mostly rotted off anyway. Will get more grinder and flap disc before the rails are welded in.

Half day at work today which resulted in some major front axle progress. Cs set an tac welded in along with a bracket idea I think will work.

Driver side is a little tight so I'll have to cut some of the housing away to get the spring perch in there as well as modify the inner mount tab since it's mostly flat there. Comes out to OEM lower control arm positions and the uppers will be as well. I originally thought I was going to have to widen it up a little.

Last edited by sardo_67; 07-07-2014, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X