No announcement yet.

Harry's thread to organize all his Jeep thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And finished (for now) product. I will pull the skid and crossmember off when I get back to clean them up a little more and paint them.

Tubed driveshaft The ID of the stock shafts are 1.75" and I had a piece of 1.75" OD DOM left over from my three link build, so hammered her in and welded it up. Will probably order a real shaft when I get the 60 in.

Quite a difference from before!

These will probably get reworked a little too. I installed the doubler with it shifted into low and I'm just going to leave it for now. Will make a shifter for that when I'm back from Rausch next weekend.

Farewell 231, you've served me well!!

Obligatory 'finished' photo, even though it looks exactly the same on the outside.

I don't really like the skid I made because it's a little flimsy. It will work for now, but I think I will be revising it in some way to add some rigidity. Any ideas on how to do that are welcome. I was thinking of trying to add some shape to it, maybe concaved down just a bit since it's so close to the 20 anyway and adding some ribbing.

I CANNOT WAIT to go wheeling.

On a side note, my Jeep is awesome for ghost riding now.
    97 XJ.

Comment

should be a good upgrade!

Comment

I've made some progress on the 60. Got it torn down. Everything looks good. Will probably pop new u joints and ball joints in but the bearings should be useable. Everything has a nice fresh coat of never seez on it so I think it had been serviced recently.

Here it is with the inner c welded back on. Removed 4". Threw the hubs back on and confirmed I'm now at 65" wms width.

I did a root pass with 6010 and a cover with 7018. I'm not as good with stick, but I'm happy with how it came out.

I talked with a shop about shortening my shaft and they strongly suggested going with the custom chromo inner so I think that's what I'll do.

Gearing up to throw some cash at Ruff Stuff here in a week or so for steering, disc brackets and leaf spring stuff for the rear.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Harry; 10-10-2012, 11:38 AM.
        97 XJ.

Comment

LOOKIN GOOOOD
          Originally posted by Ktmracer419
          some people choose video games
          some choose projects
          some choose welding random things together

Comment

get it gurl. doin work like crazy
            I drive a Datsun

Comment

Got some trimming to do. Picking up more jackstands tomorrow then I'll have the 60 under.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Harry; 11-12-2012, 10:05 PM.
              97 XJ.

Comment

Comment

rear's bolted up or just mocked?
                  I drive a Datsun

Comment

Originally posted by Burton58 View Post
                    rear's bolted up or just mocked?
                    Just mocked up. Need both axles out so I can turn them into dollars. I prefer to not have my Jeep balancing on stands on the flats of the unibody, so I just clamped it in.

Buying more jack stands tonight and plan to get the 60 slung under to check the coil bucket fitment before I burn them in. Then start figuring out the upper link and trackbar mounting.
                    97 XJ.

Comment

Well, there are one tons sitting under my Jeep now. For whatever that's worth.

Looks like the trackbar mount will need to be raised and/or moved forward. That and lots of bumpstopping. Also, Iset the front at ride height based on compressed coil length. Looks like the coil brackets gained me about an inch of lift, lower links are no longer level with the ground. I'll probably remove the coil spacer in there now to maintain my current ride height.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Harry; 11-14-2012, 09:10 AM.
                      97 XJ.

Comment

Got the top of the 60 plated for the upper link mount. Preheated and burned in with 7018.

Got the upper link mount fabbed up and tacked on (it's not crooked like it looks in the picture haha.) Also got the tie rod cut and mocked up. Going OTK with 4.5" lift is going to require a pitman with less drop. Need to research what arm will be flatter and work with a 60. Trackbar mount is coming off until steering is figured out and I'll rework I accordingly.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Harry; 11-19-2012, 12:39 PM.
                        97 XJ.

Comment

HMMMMM your track bar bracket is really low. That is going to be an interesting one. Are you planning inverted T than? Only way I see to keep the track bar angle close to the drag link. But the frame side track bar mount will probably have to get raised to clear the diff cover, and to get it around the same height as the pitman arm.
                          If you run a lesser drop arm its going to be hard to get them in line.
                          Also leave your self some space to run a longer waggy arm if you need to. I will end up going to one to get full steering out of it. Its close but its not quite there.
                          Dan.
                          2000 XJ, BJ 60 front, welded, 5.13's, 3 link, ruffstuff heims. D70 rear, detroit, 5.13's, discs. stretched. trail ready beadlocks. 39" Red labels. 4:1 Klune V-drive/D20, PSC full hydro

http://www.facebook.com/people/Dan-M...00000913365979
                          www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

Also, is your pinion angle set there? Its going to affect the tierod to draglink/pitman arm which Im sure you know
                            Dan.
                            2000 XJ, BJ 60 front, welded, 5.13's, 3 link, ruffstuff heims. D70 rear, detroit, 5.13's, discs. stretched. trail ready beadlocks. 39" Red labels. 4:1 Klune V-drive/D20, PSC full hydro

www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

Pinion angle is set. Trackbar mount is going to get modified to work with however the steering ends up. Inverted T is the plan, and apparently stock Waggy is nearly flat and longer to work with the D60 knuckles. Gonna order one tomorrow.
                              97 XJ.

Comment

Only stock they are flat, you can get one in any drop.
                                I guess a flat one would clear your tie rod but even with the track bar just under the frame it would have to be below the top of the axle to be parallel no?
                                Dan.

www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

Working...
                                X