YJ Reincarnation build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YJ Reincarnation build

so the time finally came that i decided to buy another offroad vehicle. fortunately for me i found this rough diamond

i traded a mac welder that i paid 350 bucks for. this is my first jeep, but not my first offroad rig, a few years ago i brought this back from the dead

i drove the jeep home realizing the rear frame was not completly up to par

but it ran so good driving it home i decided to miss my drive way and head for the pipelines, after beating the living piss out of it knowing nothing about the rig i brought it home to start disassembly

after a few hours we had the body ready to be pulled off

then the frame got stripped down, the front of the frame was so covered in oil the paint was like brand new still, so i saw no reason to pull the engine out and decided just to clean around it,

from the front of the skid plate back was rusted, and from the leafs back was rotted far beyond repair. so i opted to cut it all off and start over

after some cutting and welding, finished product

installed new clutch and rebuilt the trans, the ax5 was missing 5th gear,
    someone just gave me an ax15 with bad syncros, so if the ax5 tanks i have a upgrade in the future.

new shocks and rust coated all of the frame with a roller

built up a new skid plate, and recycled my rear track bar to make a crossmember to hold the driveline

after getting everything clean rebuilt and painted im near the point of getting the body back on. but the tub need a little tlc,

Comment

yesterday i got underside of the tube cleaned of the bad metal, and cleaned of rust, and painted with rust stopping paint. also cleaned up the firewall, waiting for a few friends to get home so we can set the body in place

this arrived a few days ago

its a 3 inch body lift, but im rebuilding alot of my mounts, so it will only be around 2 inches of bl instead, i am not using the rubber grommets, simply because i dont have any left, so im going to use the bl with the grade 8 hardware to semi solid mount the body to the frame.

Comment

body is ready to go back on, much body work to do still though

Comment

Damn thats a lot of work so far. Have any more plans with it?
          I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

Nick, L
            xj 5.5 lift, 32's, long arms

D30 locked, 8.8, Wj swap, and 35's in progress.

Comment

I hope you plan to plate over the seams of the rear frame and not just leave them butt welded together.
              Dan.
              2000 XJ, BJ 60 front, welded, 5.13's, 3 link, ruffstuff heims. D70 rear, detroit, 5.13's, discs. stretched. trail ready beadlocks. 39" Red labels. 4:1 Klune V-drive/D20, PSC full hydro

http://www.facebook.com/people/Dan-M...00000913365979
              www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

i didnt plan to plate over the seams, but your the second person thats said that so maybe i should start thinking about it, i checked my penetration on the welds i pushed clean through the channel, so i was hopping i could skip the ugly plates

here what i got done today started making/welding body mounts, and started fitting the body lift in, im thinking its to tall so ill probably cut it down an inch tomorrow, everyone on the jeep forum just called me a fucktard for doing a body lift and not a suspension lift, but i bought the body lift because of the hardware and bracketing that came with it, it made everything a little easier to get on

the body need much tlc, but if the frame works good and driveline holds up i hope to find a tub over the winter

Comment

wow lots of work but awesome project!!!!
                  -98 XJ 4.5" lift , 35's, trimmed, locked, geared, flexy
                  -14 Subaru STI hatch Stage 2ish
                  -54 Dodge Power wagon M-37
                  -57 GMC Pickup
                  -Tim (OIIIIIO)

Comment

Originally posted by stompjrkz400 View Post
                    i drove the jeep home realizing the rear frame was not completly up to par
                    pretty sure that is by far the most understated description ive seen in a while ESPECIALLY from you hahahahaha .....

nice to see this project so far in a linear manner vs just random pics everywhere, glad theres lots of pics of it cause most people would have junked that thing.
                    -00 XJ. 3.5", 33s. Stuff
                    https://www.facebook.com/M3TALurgist
                    I Love Scott Decker and Erik Miller
                    -Ian

"Blood makes you related, Loyalty makes you family"

Comment

tank is mounted in, and caged around it, need to build the back bumper now and clean and paint the inside of the tub

Comment

OFFICIALLY GOT IT RUNNING/ DRIVING TODAY!!!!

just about the best feeling ever too, its come a long way in the last few weeks, unfortunately spring break is over and now its time to work out the bugs and finish up the body, everything going to slow down being back in school.

Comment

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM8E0ifN1Tw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM8E0ifN1Tw[/ame]

since it came from my phone i uploaded it for him, heres the first run as of today
                          -00 XJ. 3.5", 33s. Stuff
                          https://www.facebook.com/M3TALurgist
                          I Love Scott Decker and Erik Miller
                          -Ian

"Blood makes you related, Loyalty makes you family"

Comment

Got the floor pans cleaned and painted with rustolium hammered finish, seems really nice, and sprays awsome in a hvlp gun when thinned with ur40 low temp reducer( witch they say not to use) only problem is i bought black and its labeled black, but sprayed gunmetal grey, allwell i guess

Comment

ok i haven't added much to my build log recently, but im a literal shit ton farther to being finished. i was able to aquire most of my body parts that i needed, the only thing im waiting on right now is my new quarter panels, as ive been waiting i finished up the bumpers, did the floor pans, got the seats in. dissembled the dash and detailed everything.

Comment

Working...
                              X