Project: Do Over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project: Do Over

I had started rebuilding my 99 cherokee since I dumped my grand cherokee. But once again plans have changed because I picked up this little jewel for a song from a guy at work. Its a 98 but this time its a 5 speed. My plan is to take all the knowledge I have gained since getting into jeeps and start over with a new pallet..Some things ill do the same. Some I'll do way different. Ive been driving the jeep back and fourth to work trying to feel it out. Its has 208k on the clock and its utterly rust free. There isnt even rust behind the plastic wheel wells. Im pretty stoked on this since my 99 was getting pretty beat up. So far Ive just done some small things like a compression test (180-190psi per cylinder) which blew my mind for the mileage. The tranny shifts good, 2nd gear may need syncros in a couple thousand miles but thats not a big deal. Ill update as I go enjoy.

I might even wax it!
    98 Cherokee, D30/8.25 w/4.56s locked F/R -- 3 link front IRO springs rear with shackle relocation, one ton steering w/heims, hybrid cage under contruction, 33'' KM2's

Originally posted by netrachamp1853 View Post

I might even wax it!
    is the waxing something your carrying over from the old build or is this new ??

That thing is cleaner then you made it sound! interior pics? Looks like an awesome start!!! Keep the updates coming and if you need an extra set of hands........... we could trade for some Knowledge ?
    -98 XJ 4.5" lift , 35's, trimmed, locked, geared, flexy
    -14 Subaru STI hatch Stage 2ish
    -54 Dodge Power wagon M-37
    -57 GMC Pickup
    -Tim (OIIIIIO)

Comment

wax that bitch! It will slide right through the trails lol
      seeing that its a 5 speed, with a lower first than the aw4, you should buy those 35's I posted on your facebook
      Dan.
      2000 XJ, BJ 60 front, welded, 5.13's, 3 link, ruffstuff heims. D70 rear, detroit, 5.13's, discs. stretched. trail ready beadlocks. 39" Red labels. 4:1 Klune V-drive/D20, PSC full hydro

http://www.facebook.com/people/Dan-M...00000913365979
      www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

Originally posted by CntStpTheStnk06 View Post
        is the waxing something your carrying over from the old build or is this new ??

That thing is cleaner then you made it sound! interior pics? Looks like an awesome start!!! Keep the updates coming and if you need an extra set of hands........... we could trade for some Knowledge ?
        Knowledge is always free buddy you just gotta ask the right questions haha. The interior is tan, and i hate tan. So ill be ripping it all out eventually and replacing it with gray and black.
        98 Cherokee, D30/8.25 w/4.56s locked F/R -- 3 link front IRO springs rear with shackle relocation, one ton steering w/heims, hybrid cage under contruction, 33'' KM2's

Comment

Originally posted by ct67_72 View Post
          wax that bitch! It will slide right through the trails lol
          seeing that its a 5 speed, with a lower first than the aw4, you should buy those 35's I posted on your facebook
          I would if I had an extra 600 bucks laying around haha.

Comment

start selling some shit! You have like 3 complete jeeps in the basement
            Dan.
            2000 XJ, BJ 60 front, welded, 5.13's, 3 link, ruffstuff heims. D70 rear, detroit, 5.13's, discs. stretched. trail ready beadlocks. 39" Red labels. 4:1 Klune V-drive/D20, PSC full hydro

www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

Psh I need to have a jeep part tag sale...

Comment

Do it. I have dibs on axle shafts lol
                Dan.

www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

This should be an excellent platform, an put a coat of wax on and try to keep it decent looking.. I'll be looking forward to this build thread!

Comment

So I had some time over the weekend, and with this turd ford that wont start on the only lift in my dads shop that will lift my tow pig i decided to do some stuff to this baby.

Cheating

pup hangin out up on the lift.

Some goofy helper airbags that were installed at one point. Ripped them off first haha

The hitch and rear sway bar, wont be needing those anytime soon.

The guy I got the jeep from took his muffler before he sold it to me so I fitted up a flowmaster I found in my parts pile to get it by till the exhaust from my 99 goes on it.

Also did a coolant flush and blew out the heater core. Nothin to crazy, just some general repairs.

Comment

Good looking Jeep, can't wait to see the end result...although with your build threads there never really is an end result?
                      06 Wrangler TJ 6 Speed 4" Rough Country Lift on BF Goodrich 33's.

Comment

Projects never end till they either get crushed or sold haha.

Comment

LOL true. the others definitely had an end result...
                          Dan.

www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

Welp Ive been spending just about every saturday on this thing and really making some good headway. i only have about 2 1/2 months till my son or daughter enters the world so I gotta pickup the pace!

I used some 3x3x3/16 angle iron and made some unibody stiffeners.

I really took my time to prep the areas I would be welding and it really paid off. I was able to really lay some nice beads and they fit perfectly...and only cost me 30 bucks in materials!

I ordered some more front stiffeners from LII and of course they fit like a glove. Again i really took my time with the prep and it paid off.

Clamping and prepping.

Welded in place.

I copied my 99 and used 2x6 angle to replace the front crossmember again to mount the winch to. I did things a little differently this time and cut the factory front bumper mounts right off the unibody. That way I could weld the crossmember right to the front stiffeners.

Welded in place. I already drilled the 4 holes for the winch at work on the bridgeport.

Ive done a little more but need to get some pictures. Im selling off all the suspention thats under it and Im going to do a single triangulated 4 link rear and 3 link front. Im on vacation in WA right now but the weekend I get home Im going to tear down the 99 and get the carcass off to the scrap yard.

Comment

About time you posted the pics.
                              Dan.

www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

Working...
                              X