Yota project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yota project

soooo, im posting this up for my buddy that picked up a 95.5 tacoma off Dana. (no blame to dana on any of the hack stuff, he pretty much didnt touch the thing)

its been a slow going project but we are starting to get close to the end. This truck was originally done by another person (bobbed bed, solid front, other do dads)...... but ive pretty much redone every single thing besides the body work.

when we got the truck to my garage it appeared to be in good shape and looked like a quick fixer upper... after looking through everything i noticed it had alot of great things done.... just kinda..... hacked!! it was in just about good enough shape to roll on and off a trailer. It had a SOLID frame tho, healthy engine, and the front was already set up for the solid axle swap.

so this quick fixer upper changed to a full out build pretty quick, but im enjoying working on it because its something other than another fuckin cherokee.

Work we have done/ in progress:

exhuast:
    a flowmaster and turndown

Steering box mounted:
    hunted down steering shafts and had to adapt the ifs box to the tacoma steering wheel. new lines bent and run through a cooler, from the pump to the box. all fancy dancy like

AC compressor:
    all re plumbed and converted to on board air. oiler, filter, tank, lines, switch, the whole nine yards.... the funny thing is the compressor was already converted.... just hacked

interior:
    was pretty nasty, ripped out the carpet, hurc'ed, new radio, speakers, some other cool shit, and its freshy fresh now.

front axle:
    waggy 44 , waggys stock springs, inner c cut and rotated to point the pinion up, ruffstuff swap kit, BTF hi steer on pass side, ruffstuff 1 ton steering, 4.88s, spool, warn hubs all the fixings.

rear axle:
    tacoma rear, ruffstuff swap kit, trail gear disk swap, chevy springs, remade shackles and mounts on the frame, antiwrap bar(another thing we kept), 4.88s, lockrite, some other junk i cant think of.

shocks:
    bilstien 5100s in the rear,
    big black cock shocks up front

rims:
    DIY beadlocks
    summit racing 40 dollar d window specials

tires:
    35x12.50 bfgs

im tired of thinking off all the other junk but the list goes on and on.

heres some pics, and ill try and keep more up to date with this thread as we continue.

yeh i know, i didnt take many pics. and ill get more when i find some time

if anyone is interested in anything just let me know and ill give the detailed scoop
    Last edited by justtorchit; 12-29-2011, 11:34 PM.
    Originally posted by Ktmracer419
    some people choose video games
    some choose projects
    some choose welding random things together

this thing looks cool as hell man

totally diggin' that tire/wheel combo too
    No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
    Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Originally posted by JeepBabiiXJ View Post

totally diggin' that tire/wheel combo too
      x2
      -98 XJ 4.5" lift , 35's, trimmed, locked, geared, flexy
      -14 Subaru STI hatch Stage 2ish
      -54 Dodge Power wagon M-37
      -57 GMC Pickup
      -Tim (OIIIIIO)

Comment

Saw the pics on FB, looks sweet!
        2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
        MK2 Jetta > M3
        Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

I like the way this looks!, there's an older yota in clinton that has a str8 axle swap and it's on atleast 35-36s eith a bobbed bed, I think the owners name is Kirt(someone owen knows).

Comment

I'm definitely excited for updates on this. Lovin the wheels
            P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
            2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
            OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

you got any pics of your steering box setup? im doing a SAS and am curious as to what the stup on yours is....
              99 XJ on tons and 40s....

Comment

Originally posted by kracker View Post
                you got any pics of your steering box setup? im doing a SAS and am curious as to what the stup on yours is....

the plates were already welded on when we got it but
                its two plates on each side of the frame welded. We cut a DOM spacer between the plates on the upper bolt to keep the plate section above the frame from bending. box bolted right on.

then if i remember correctly we used a steering shaft from an ifs box and took the rag joint out. then on the steering wheel we used the newer tacoma shaft and took out one of the u joints so it didnt have the crazy double thing going on (you will know what i mean) and mated it with the ifs box shaft..... then cut it down to size and beveled and welded them together. actually took a little bit to figure out and we didnt have any shafts that came with the truck so we had to go digging at the junk yards.

for the lines we just got the fittings for the box and pump and made a line that follows the front cross member across... unfortunately we still have one leaky flare that i just remembered we need to fix. i think trail gear make lines that will directly fit, but when i did this i did not see it on their site
                some choose projects

Comment

front axle

interior

rear frame boxed and made a beefier shackle

anti-wrap bar(already made) and the flowmaster we welded up

rock sliders (have to cut passanger side off and fix a little patch of rust on the rocker)

Bud built tcase skid

ruffstuff pring swap kit, new shock set up

i didnt like the shocks the way they were(binded in 2 directions) so i switched to this set up.

disk brake set up.

its getting close!
                  some choose projects

Comment

truck is packed with goodies still

btf highsteer arm, have reid studs for it

also have the ruffstuff steering kit that we are going to run under the knuckle (out of the way of the leafs) so we have tappered bushings for the knuckles too

hopefully ill get the steering done this week
                    some choose projects

Comment

Looking pretty sweet but just wondering why you giys didnt go thru the bed with the rear shocks... Looks like you could bend them at that angle (mayne its the pics) ... But looking sweet though...
                      99 XJ on tons and 40s....

Comment

Originally posted by kracker View Post
                        Looking pretty sweet but just wondering why you giys didnt go thru the bed with the rear shocks... Looks like you could bend them at that angle (mayne its the pics) ... But looking sweet though...
                        this is exactly the input im looking for. I personally dont like the setup at all, but it is not my truck. The reasoning for not going thru the bed is that this is going to be a daily driver (sounds crazy but should be a nice ride) and he wants the little room in the bed to throw his bike and whatnot in. I cut the stud setup off because it would bend the shocks first time it hit a speedbump. I havent welded the new Tabs on to the crossmember yet becasue i was still worried about them bending when one side is drooped (there is going to be a shit ton of droop with these shackles)

My idea now (which im going to try and convince him) is to run the axle shock tabs directly ontop the axle 90ยบ degrees from how they are now. then for the upper ill bend some tube for some hoops to mount to the frame and use flanges to samwich the bed inbetween. use a hole saw to drill a hole for the shock to pass through the bed and put some door trim rubber shit on it. then i want to mount a tube on flanges from one hoop to the other that he can bolt into place for offroad use, but if he needs to load up the truck he can unbolt it and it will still be plenty strong for around town driving...... mayber intergrate a spare tire mount on it somewhere......
                        some choose projects

Comment

Comment

went ahead and set the shocks up to go through the bed.
                            mounted the hoops on flanges that are flush with the bed.
                            also made the crossmember removable for when he wants to throw his bike in the back.
                            the hoops should be plenty strong without the crossmember for on road driving but when he goes offroad he can bolt it back in and strengthen everything up.

FLUX CORE WELDS BABY!!! (can never make it out in time to get argon)
                            some choose projects

Comment

SWEET keep up the work!!
                              -98 XJ 4.5" lift , 35's, trimmed, locked, geared, flexy
                              -14 Subaru STI hatch Stage 2ish
                              -54 Dodge Power wagon M-37
                              -57 GMC Pickup
                              -Tim (OIIIIIO)

Comment

Working...
                              X