Project "Family Hauler" 2001 xj

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project "Family Hauler" 2001 xj

After spending years with my Wrangler (TJ) , breaking everything at least once i sold it and went on to my next fun ride, my 81 c10 with a 355ci v8/4speed. well while having that truck I came to find out a second child is on the way, a baby boy to be exact! I knew it would be not only rough fitting 2 carseats in a c10 and still being able to shift, not to mention the lack of saftey issues a 81 c10 doesnt have (abs, airbags, seatbelts that lock, etc). I began looking for a Jeep again, this time a Cherokee. I happen to look through the site one day and bought a 2001 Cherokee from CntStpTheStnk06 for $900 with a blown motor. I let it sit all winter and waited till recently to start working on it.

The Plan - pull motor out of donor grandcherokee and swap over intake, ignition system (distributor to coil packs), header, accessories. Get it running. put in ZJ seats, storage compartment setup in hatch area, mild lift/tires.

Cost so far : $900 for jeep
    $120 u-haul car hauler rental + gas
    $48 for gaskets/paint

how it sat when i picked it up

drove it up on the trailer and across ct trip home

current state 05/29/11

last week pulled out the motor out of the donor grand cherokee and started prepping it. engine block, oil pan and valve cover were covered in 16years of gunk and grime so first step was cleaning it all down

before shot.- this was the cleaner side, after i scrubbed it once... wish i took a pic of the dirty side.

Last edited by 1cleantj; 07-14-2013, 07:06 PM.
    up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
    eliminator MJ - Sold
    99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
    Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

spent about 2 hours to degrease and remove all the sluge/oil build up on the motor, oil pan and valve cover.

cleaned up, prepped and painted all VHT engine/exhaust paint.

Found out I'll need to swap over a/c compressor bracket also, diffent mounting over the years, also still need to swap in coil pickup and intake/exhaust. All which will receive the same prep and paint (silver/black theme).
    up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
    eliminator MJ - Sold

Comment

Ahh, I know that jeep Cool that its being revived

Comment

Since this will be my daily driver, I figured i'd swap out the Xj seats with something more comfortable- Grand cherokee Seats.

Swap is pretty straight forward

XJ seat on left , Grand cherokee seat on Right

bracket swapped over, painted to keep surface from rusting anymore.

Keeping with the clean theme (motor etc) I gave the carpet a real good cleaning. Jeep may be 10years old, but it will be looking like brand new
        eliminator MJ - Sold

Comment

my god that is the cleanest carpet ive ever seen in my life. mine looks like people throw up on it every weekend.
          Watch your backhoe, I'm the John Deere man.

Comment

Originally posted by Trailer Ray View Post
            my god that is the cleanest carpet ive ever seen in my life. mine looks like people throw up on it every weekend.
            oh this is awkward... I've been driving to your house every saturday and puking in your jeep...
            1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
            1999 sierra
            1967 M725 Big and Slow
            -Dan

Comment

thats ok, at least noone pissed on my floor.
              Watch your backhoe, I'm the John Deere man.

Comment

carpet and interior should be easier to clean!

Comment

not to much done lately , ended up spending money to do all 4 brakes and full exhaust on the honda civic . going down the highway a few days ago it instantly got louder as a rot spot on the exhaust broke open . cant have any exhaust fumes leaking with a newborn on the way.
                  eliminator MJ - Sold

Comment

I know that feeling.. everytime you feel like you have money to do something to it then something else comes up and takes that money!

Comment

Originally posted by clean4drxj View Post
                      I know that feeling.. everytime you feel like you have money to do something to it then something else comes up and takes that money!
                      I hear ya on that

$782
                      My Advance auto parts orders of recent. these are the prices with discounts of between $30 to $50 each order

Not to mention the 4 tires I just put on the civic 1000 miles ago.

Lucky I get to do all the repairs for free at work on a lift. makes life easier. Only thing I didnt luck out on was the civics radiator going at walmart. Although Civic's are nice to work on, changed it out right in the parking lot
                      eliminator MJ - Sold

Comment

finally some time to work on this thing. been swamped with overtime and the rain isnt helping any.

Got to pull the front end apart, radiator/ac condenser, torque converter bolts, lower transmission bolts, engine wiring harness and started swapping over everything.

at this point i got about 3 transmission bolts and the motor mounts holding the motor in

junker jeeps and 2x4 make excellent spot to paint things

figured id swap over the new water pump and new thermostat in / new gaskets.

one step closer to being complete and ready to swap in
                        eliminator MJ - Sold

Comment

more progress today. pulled out old XJ motor. yet again I find the hatred inside me for the stupid to reach E12 external torx's on top of the bellhousing... what a challenge it was to line up the torx bit from below with a swivel socket and bajliion extensions

Figured while the engine was out I would degrease and clean the engine bay and take care of any cancer (err rust) spots. just a few surface spots that I found which was great news.

one step closer to being driveable.
                          eliminator MJ - Sold

Comment

cleaned up and painted intake and exhaust (2,000 degree paint).
                            so many o2's on this thing. 4 o2 sensors on the manifold alone + 2 pre-cats. stupid emissions

Here is the reason the original XJ motor was swapped out. Surprisingly it still ran after this happened. i drove it onto the trailer when i bought it, and drove it 1/4mile uphill to my house when i dropped it off and a handful of times to move it around.

Ka-BOOM
                            eliminator MJ - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by 1cleantj View Post
                              yet again I find the hatred inside me for the stupid to reach E12 external torx's on top of the bellhousing... what a challenge it was to line up the torx bit from below with a swivel socket and bajliion extensions
                              When I had my shop, I put an engine in a 2000 Cher for a girl I know, I was able to beat some kind of wrench on them to get them out. When I put the new engine in I went to the hardware store and found some hex cap flange bolts to replace them.
                              1950 Willys Trail Rig
                              2007.5 Dodge 2500 QCSB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 4x4

Comment

Working...
                              X