Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 22 rifle?

Question for all you gun experts.

I wanted a nice 22 rifle, for plinking and shooting squirrels.

I want single action and I need to be able to thread the barrel.

What would you suggest?
    RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
    www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
    Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

whatever you do

dont listen to phil

he doesnt know much of anything about firearms

in fact i wouldnt let him within 25 feet of any gun i ever own, just due to his general lack of knowledge when it comes to guns.
    - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
    or am asians pants not a read end lol.
    Originally posted by DizzDizz
    aliens probed my husband

Comment

mrs. heavymetal from jeepforum
      2022 JL Rubicon

Originally posted by hoggie101
      and everyone qute dis because its the best grammer im going to have all year

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
        whatever you do

dont listen to phil

he doesnt know much of anything about firearms

in fact i wouldnt let him within 25 feet of any gun i ever own, just due to his general lack of knowledge when it comes to guns.
        This.... I let phil handle one of my guns and he did this to it.

2013 F150 fx4 (Tow Pig/DD)
        • 5.0 with the 3.73 option

2003 TJ Rubicon
        • 4.0/42rle/np241or
        • 5.13's
        • 3" Savvy/Currie suspension with acos
        • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

I fucking hate every single one of you people.

A Marlin 39A (Lever Action) would be a good choice if you are willing to spend $600 and get one of the best .22s out there. Only problem is that it is a lever action and prone isn't the most comfortable position when operating the lever. My Marlin's confirmed kills are a Bird and a Squirrel so far, both were shot with Sub Sonic Ammunition (CCI CB Long because I'm too cheap to afford a silencer and I do not want to thread the end of the Marlin I have).

Both the Marlin and Savage line of bolt action 22s are inexpensive, always work and are pretty damn accurate. You can easily get one for about $300. A nice piece of glass on top of that and you can plug bunnies and squirrels all day. Both have great triggers from the factory.

If you want something to break the bank, Anchutz toggle bolt or bolt action rifle. They easily go for well over $500 and don't expect great customer service from those Europeans if anything happens to go wrong.
          Last edited by Buffalo Phil; 07-22-2010, 12:31 PM.
          sigpic
          Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
            I fucking hate every single one of you people.

A Marlin 39A (Lever Action) would be a good choice if you are willing to spend $600 and get one of the best .22s out there. Only problem is that it is a lever action and prone isn't the most comfortable position when operating the lever. My Marlin's confirmed kills are a Bird and a Squirrel so far, both were shot with Sub Sonic Ammunition (CCI CB Long because I'm too cheap to afford a silencer and I do not want to thread the end of the Marlin I have).

Both the Marlin and Savage line of bolt action 22s are inexpensive, always work and are pretty damn accurate. You can easily get one for about $300. A nice piece of glass on top of that and you can plug bunnies and squirrels all day. Both have great triggers from the factory.

If you want something to break the bank, Anchutz toggle bolt or bolt action rifle. They easily go for well over $500 and don't expect great customer service from those Europeans if anything happens to go wrong.
            See what I mean???
            - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
            or am asians pants not a read end lol.
            Originally posted by DizzDizz
            aliens probed my husband

Comment

god phil stop it
              2022 JL Rubicon

Comment

sigpic

Comment

2022 JL Rubicon

Comment

EVERY TIME, WITHOUT FAIL.
                    sigpic

Comment

I would get a marlin, nice guns. and for that type of gun i am a fan of leaving the iron sights on it. makes it a challenge and more rewording when you hit something. and these little guns are so damn accurate anyways....

i have an old lakefeild 22lr bolt that i got for my 11th birthday love it, countless round through it and still accurate as all hell, i think they were once owned by marlin and now owned by savage
                      "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

Phil you can thread barrels correct?
                        Is there any style that you cannot thread? 1/2-28
                        I don't want a one with the ammo tube under the barrel, they are annoying to load.
                        I'll probably go with a clip.

You need subsonics with a suppressor anyways. I just don't want to listen to the action either.

And technically your not allowed to hunt with a suppressor anyways.

Pistol barrels are too short for the bullet to reach suppersonic speed so you can shoot normal ammo in the pistols.

All I can think of when I hear 22 rifles is Ruger, I looked those up a bit pricey.
                        RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                        www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                        Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

i like the marlin bolt actions http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...equestid=65473

I also have a friend selling a .22 Savage Springfield single shot bolt action for $125
                          1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
                          2001 wj tbd
                          1974 5 ton

Comment

Yes. 1/2-28 is a very common thread size and I cut those threads all the time.

Shooting subsonic ammunition from a silenced rifle seems redundant, especially a .22. A silencer also won't silence the action of the trigger being pulled and the firing pin dropping on a single shot rifle. The only thing you are going to hear is the bullet striking its target, subsonic ammuniton or not when a silencer is installed.

A silenced .223 using normal 55 grain military loads sounds like a .22 long rifle going off, same with a .45
                            ACP handgun with a can. Imagine what a silencer will do for a .22 normal velocity.

The Ruger's are decent, but there are better out there.

Originally posted by customcreationsllc View Post
                            Phil you can thread barrels correct?
                            Is there any style that you cannot thread? 1/2-28
                            I don't want a one with the ammo tube under the barrel, they are annoying to load.
                            I'll probably go with a clip.

You need subsonics with a suppressor anyways. I just don't want to listen to the action either.

And technically your not allowed to hunt with a suppressor anyways.

Pistol barrels are too short for the bullet to reach suppersonic speed so you can shoot normal ammo in the pistols.

All I can think of when I hear 22 rifles is Ruger, I looked those up a bit pricey.
                            Last edited by Buffalo Phil; 07-22-2010, 01:52 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                              See what I mean???
                              Seriously, reminds me of CB3
                              P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
                              2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
                              OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

Working...
                              X