Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Nationals can only suck for so long...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Nationals can only suck for so long...

...before these phenoms start pulling their team to the top.

Anyone paying attention to Stephen Strasburg lately? For those of you who don't know, he's the newest(and most talked about) pitching addition to the Washington Nationals, and also was the first pick in the draft. His fastball touches 100mph, and has absolutely filthy off speed stuff.

His first three starts have been phenominal, only shortened by a close eye on his pitch count and little issue with walks. The latest of which was yesterday, where he went 7 innings with only 1 earned run and 10 K's. Without a doubt, this guy is going to be good.

And if that isn't enough, they also have the greatest hitting prospect since Ken Griffey Jr. making his way through the minors, Bryce Harper. I'm sure some of you caught him making the cover of Sports Illustrated a while back.
    Sports Illustrated claims that Chosen Person Bryce Harper, as a 15-year-old, hit a 570-foot home run in Las Vegas, an anecdote that is equal parts Sidd Finch, Paul Bunyan and Jesus. And I'll be damned: It just might be true.
    The fawking kid hit a 570ft. shot, AS A FRESHMAN. Granted, this is with aluminum bats, but even on a high estimate that would only give him around 40-50ft. over a wood bat. Then, he does it again and hits a 502ft. homer at Tropicana Field during a power showcase. The only person that you can even compare him to at this age, is probably Tiger Woods.

He dropped out of school before he even got to attend his junior prom, got his GED, and attended one of the countries toughest junior colleges(baseball-wise) so he could be that much closer to his dream of playing in the MLB. Not only did he attend, but he fucking RAKED. In 66 games, he hit .443 with 31 home runs(previous record was 12), 98 RBI, and a .987 slugging %. Experts say there is a good chance he'll be in the big leagues before his 20th birthday.

Jump ahead to 0:50 to skip all the bullshit.
    BORKED

It's going to be an exciting next couple of years for baseball fans, that's for damn sure.

Oh yea, and something about nascar rabble rabble.

is he a switch hitter? i noticed that he threw with his right arm but hes batting lefty....he is gonna be sick....phenomenal is absolutely the word i would use to describe this kid. anyone who hits that many home runs in a year with an aluminum bat....wow, just wow
    I once had a 93 XJ, 4.5" o' lift, 33" TSL Super Swampers, 8.25 rear Detroit locked. 2,000 Lb Steering. Custom rockers, Sam's old Bumpah. Cherry Bomb BITCH. SOLD

Fight Team

Official HMC Girlie

Comment

He only bats lefty.

Comment

wow....hes gonna be dangerous.
        I once had a 93 XJ, 4.5" o' lift, 33" TSL Super Swampers, 8.25 rear Detroit locked. 2,000 Lb Steering. Custom rockers, Sam's old Bumpah. Cherry Bomb BITCH. SOLD

Fight Team

Official HMC Girlie

Comment

Originally posted by Mighty Quine View Post
          wow....hes gonna be dangerous.
          Yup. He's got a mean fuckin swing...but let's face it, one person can only help a team so much.
          Last edited by Buffalo Phil; 06-20-2010, 12:56 AM.
          sigpic
          Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
            let's face it, one person can only help a team so much.

you mean like this guy in 2003?

Fight Team

Official HMC Girlie

Comment

Fair enough...maybe I should get one of these guys to join my softball team to balance out those who cant even catch a ball.
              sigpic
              Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

holy hell

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

Strasburgs a hell of a pitcher and will definitely help the nats out, but it takes a lot more than 1 pitcher to be a serious contender.

That kid can certainly hit the ball, but the major leagues are very different from highschool and juco ball. Hyped prospects like this sometimes never even make it out of the minors.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
                    Hyped prospects like this sometimes never even make it out of the minors.
                    Honestly, baseball hasn't seen a prospect like this in a LONG time (if ever). This level of talent doesn't just fade into the minors, I would be shocked if he didn't get called up to the big leagues before he can legally drink.

Comment

Originally posted by Even View Post
                      Honestly, baseball hasn't seen a prospect like this in a LONG time (if ever). This level of talent doesn't just fade into the minors, I would be shocked if he didn't get called up to the big leagues before he can legally drink.
                      Two of the best hitters of all time, griffey jr and A-rod, have been drafted first with considerable hype. But there have also been plenty of busts with the same hype. The main problem for this kid is that he is going to get rushed to the majors and he wont be ready.

Comment

Two of the best hitters of all time, griffey jr and A-rod, have been drafted first with considerable hype. But there have also been plenty of busts with the same hype. The main problem for this kid is that he is going to get rushed to the majors and he wont be ready.
                        So, you somewhat just prooved my point. The only comparisons you can make in recent history, are to two of the greatest hitters of all time. Mind you, I'm not even sure either of them even had numbers prior to the major leagues that are remotely similar to this. I couldn't dig up anything on Griffey, but A-Rod didn't even get the starting varsity shortstop job as a Freshman at Christopher Columbus Catholic High School. Comparing them by saying they are all #1 draft picks really doesn't hold any water. The sort of talent Harper is showing is something that most baseball fans have never even seen before.

I'm fairly certain that you wouldn't be able to name a single bust in the past 25 years of baseball history, that you can honestly compare to Bryce Harper, excluding injuries and pitchers.

Comment

lets just hope he doesnt suck....sometimes you got kids who are sick in high school and college but cant hang in the big leagues

Fight Team

Official HMC Girlie

Comment

Originally posted by Even View Post
                            So, you somewhat just prooved my point. The only comparisons you can make in recent history, are to two of the greatest hitters of all time. Mind you, I'm not even sure either of them even had numbers prior to the major leagues that are remotely similar to this. I couldn't dig up anything on Griffey, but A-Rod didn't even get the starting varsity shortstop job as a Freshman at Christopher Columbus Catholic High School. Comparing them by saying they are all #1 draft picks really doesn't hold any water. The sort of talent Harper is showing is something that most baseball fans have never even seen before.

I'm fairly certain that you wouldn't be able to name a single bust in the past 25 years of baseball history, that you can honestly compare to Bryce Harper, excluding injuries and pitchers.
                            What i meant was that prior numbers dont mean anything when it comes to being successful in the major leagues, heck, Derek Jeter was an awful hitter before the majors and look at him now. And there have been guys who weren't drafted i.e. foreign players that have been played up as being phenoms but in reality they arent that good. Last year Jesus Montero was called the best prospect in the major league farm system, now they're saying he'll never make it to the majors.

My point is that just because you are a great hitter on the amateur level doesnt mean that you will be a great hitter on the professional level, and just because you arent that great of a hitter on the amateur level, it doesnt mean that you wont be a great hitter on the professional level. The kid shows potential, but its a long road to the show.

And even though you qualified your challenge by essentially removing half the number 1 draft picks from consideration (even though there have been pitchers with the same hype as harper over the years), since 1994, only 1 number 1 draft pick that is a non-pitcher has become a star player and thats joe mauer.

Comment

What i meant was that prior numbers dont mean anything when it comes to being successful in the major leagues, heck, Derek Jeter was an awful hitter before the majors and look at him now. And there have been guys who weren't drafted i.e. foreign players that have been played up as being phenoms but in reality they arent that good. Last year Jesus Montero was called the best prospect in the major league farm system, now they're saying he'll never make it to the majors.

My point is that just because you are a great hitter on the amateur level doesnt mean that you will be a great hitter on the professional level, and just because you arent that great of a hitter on the amateur level, it doesnt mean that you wont be a great hitter on the professional level. The kid shows potential, but its a long road to the show.

And even though you qualified your challenge by essentially removing half the number 1 draft picks from consideration (even though there have been pitchers with the same hype as harper over the years), since 1994, only 1 number 1 draft pick that is a non-pitcher has become a star player and thats joe mauer.
                              uh oh, nicks been watching PTI too much

Fight Team

Official HMC Girlie

Comment

Working...
                              X