safety stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• safety stuff

after reading the thread about the two guys rolling down in the tj, i was just wondering who runs safety devices such as 5 point harness, sport cage, seats for the harness, and anything else and how much you spent or would be willing to spend on it. obviously a lot of people will say priceless but i was wondering. i got looking into that stuff since that was obviously serious as all hell.
    Hack Shack Racing #4632 Jeep TJ

i have nothing but stock seatbelts since i don't do any rediculously insane wheeling but i do want to mount a fire extinguisher in the jeep soon
    I drive a Datsun

Comment

Wish I could afford puttin a minor cage and 5 point harnesses in. Something that will def happen down the road

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

Full DOM Cage, tied in to the frame at 10 or 12 points (cannot remember)
        RCI 5 point Harnesses
        Automotive Fire Extinguisher
        Gloves for handling winch lines, rock stacking, etc
        Hearing protection with built in radio

Used everything so far excpet fire estinguisher, most of my fuel lines are jacketed and the parts of the exhuast near them is wrapped
        1950 Willys Trail Rig
        2007.5 Dodge 2500 QCSB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 4x4

Comment

first i cut my roof off, then i took all the paint off of leaving it bare metal parked at the beach for 3 months so it got nice and rusty. then i was sick of losing ground clearance so i cut my uni-rails out.
          1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
          2001 wj tbd
          1974 5 ton

Comment

5 point harnesses, a supported main hoop right behind the 2 front seats soon to be a full cage all tide into the unibody...and since i dont like regular doors I made tube doors..Cant put a price on saftey...Or all your limbs..
            Last edited by netrachamp1853; 06-07-2010, 11:01 PM.
            98 Cherokee, D30/8.25 w/4.56s locked F/R -- 3 link front IRO springs rear with shackle relocation, one ton steering w/heims, hybrid cage under contruction, 33'' KM2's

Comment

i feel that for what i do right now, a sport cage would be a great thing to have just in case of a real extreme situation, along iwth a fire extinguisher. i would like 5 points but they are probably a little unnecessary for what i do and also a lot more gwap with buying seats. i would like them down the road though.

Comment

i have a full DOM cage ready to go in. going to get harnesses and seats. the cage will be tied into the frame at the A,B,C pillers
                "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

if you go wheeling without a fire extinguisher, you are dumb as hell

this was me in march

blew a power steering cooler line and it got sprayed on the manifold and started a very big fire... lucky for me, you can see I have a fire extinguisher strapped to the passenger A pillar. No real damage was done and I was able to continue wheeling.

Comment

We are not rolling 200 ft down hills around here.
                    But a couple years ago a local guy did die when his rig bounced wrong and landed upside down off a ledge.

Safety is important, I always try to keep that in mind when I'm building.

I don't know about the crotch strap on a harness it is supposed to keep you from submarining we don't go fast enough for that but I would definitely get a harness. And wear it. I always put it on even if I'm just drive across the parking lot just a habit.
                    Also wear long pants there is a reason racing you need a fire suit, at least have pants.

For a roll cage it all depends on what obstacles you plan on running. I have a basic 6 point cage gusseted strong enough for any flops but if I was out west on the mountains I would have a lot bigger cage or if I start racing it I would have a bigger cage.

Cages don't have to 100% ridged as long as it doesn't collapse on the occupants. You can always replace the tubes kind of like the theory of the stock roof.

I bought sheet metal for my roof I just haven't got a chance to install it yet.
                    I also plan on adding a door bar to my cage. Both WE-Rock rules and good ones at that.

I also bring a helmet with me when I'm wheeling if I get in a hard spot I put it on.

And I've used my fire extinguisher before.

Also all vent lines including fuel should be run with the 3 corner rule and I also have a tip over vent on the fuel cell and ball valves.

I need to install a kill switch bath that is lower on my list.

When I build to go fast it will have even more safety such as window netting and fire suits.

But there is a lot of little things that people do that I don't like.
                    Running Hot fluids through the chassis tubing in an accident they will crack spilling hot fluid all over you.
                    When people put the intake in the drivers compartment. Where is the most likely place for an engine fire, where the gas goes in, ever have an engine back fire?
                    When people install hydraulic lines in the drivers compartment. A pin hole on a high pressure line will really hurt. Especially when the have the orbital valve in there crotch.

Going fast I will also have drive shaft loop and bellhousing scatter shield.
                    After all it is my @$$.

Miss a down shift even with our extremely low gearing it doesn't take much to over spin a clutch or torque converter. Like rolling down the hill in 1st with the clutch pushed in, bang. There is a reason they are required on racecars.

Drive shafts are directly driven by the tires if you are going fast and a shaft snaps it is going flop all over the place and rip the car apart especially 4x4 both ends are driven. People like to have the drive shaft spinning right next to their lap. As if the sheet metal floor is going to stop it.

I usually put safety mods like roll cages first.
                    RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                    www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                    Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

for tjs, just wondering, what do most people do for their cage? just buy the little extending bars that go from the main hoop right over the drivers head up to the windshield and down to the floor? that is what i would buy not like a full cage. all of htis is assuming that the rear of the tj cage stock is strong enough to be rolled on which it should be correct?

Comment

price of steel is down, a simple roll cage for a tj can be had for relatively cheap these days, you just gotta find yourself a shop willing to do it.
                        No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                        Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Safety is a HUGE concern of mine!!!!!!

Wear a Rubber!!!!!!

Wear a Helmet!!!!!!

Wear a Harness or Seatbelt!!!!!!!!!

Have a Cage!!!!!!!

Wear a hardhat!!!!!!!

Wear safety glasses!!!!!

Wear Ear plugs or muffs!!!!!!!!!!!

If it smells bad, stay away!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          HOONIGAN FOR LIFE
                          OLD 4X4'S NEVER DIE!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Burton58 View Post
                            i have nothing but stock seatbelts since i don't do any rediculously insane wheeling but i do want to mount a fire extinguisher in the jeep soon
                            X2....especially the fire extinguisher part......FRED!
                            I once had a 93 XJ, 4.5" o' lift, 33" TSL Super Swampers, 8.25 rear Detroit locked. 2,000 Lb Steering. Custom rockers, Sam's old Bumpah. Cherry Bomb BITCH. SOLD

Fight Team

Official HMC Girlie

Comment

Working...
                            X