tj soft tops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tj soft tops

is it just me or does anyone else have the pain in the ass bar across their tj's tailgate? i saw maybe a jeep or two that have the bar cut into three pieces so it can go out of the way but how does that work? i really hate that bar for loading stuff into there. can i just cut mine you guys think?
    Hack Shack Racing #4632 Jeep TJ

what bar are you referring to. the on at the bottom of the soft top window ? to load stuff in there just unzip both sides upwards, toss window on the roof, load and rezip.... or slide the bar out of the window and just let the end sit there, although you'll get a little rain in the jeep then
    up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
    eliminator MJ - Sold
    99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
    Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

ya the bar at the bottom of the window. with mine you can't just unzip the window from both sides and lift because the bar is still attached. basically if you look at the left side of the bar there are 2 screws into the body, then the sleeve all the way through the window then two more screw on the right side. i don't want to unscrew the bar everytime i need to load something. i feel like maybe it was installed wrong or something. i might need pics. let me know if you think they would help and i'll put them up tomorrow.

Comment

the bar on the window is separate from the brackets on the jeep. The flaps of the soft top window slip onto those brackets with the 2 screws , kinda like above the driver/pass door. no need to remove them everytime you need to open backwindow. never seen people driving around with soft top on, side windows out and rear window rolled up to the top held by the straps ?

like in the pic below, granted i dont have the window edges slipped onto the bracket, i got the window bar in still.
        up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
        eliminator MJ - Sold
        99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
        Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

ya i have seen people drive like that before and i never got why. now i have been thinking about how much of a pain mine is. i don't know if i am stupid and got a stupid top system, but the brackets for me with the 2 screws are part of the whole bar. i don't think its supposed to be like that but now that it is do you think i can just cut the brackets off with a hack saw, and sand it down?

my other question is now, how does the window seal to the tailgate without the bar being solidly connected to the jeep?

sorry if i am being a dumbass and don't fully understand what you're getting at. i will put pictures up of my setup tomorrow so we can get on the same page about how mine is different i think.

Comment

on my old top, there was weatherstripping on the bottom of the bar and the softop would hold it in place when it clipped in the the channel. my bar was made to just slip in so it was easily unzipped and tossed on the roof.

i would cut it along the edge of the tail gate and just let it chill.
            winng. all the goddamned time.

**MY STATEMENTS AND/OR OPINIONS IN NO WAY REFLECT THOSE OF THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT.

Comment

I think your brackets might be pinching the bar making it seem like it's all connected. Try giving it a tug. The brackets are on either end and in the shape of a square "C" with the open end facing outward, the bar should just come out of those anytime you need it to, and even slide off the bottom of the window if you so desire. If anything, I would carefully take out the screws if they are going through the top of the bar and see if they were secured there for a reason. If they only go through the brackets that hold the bar, then everything is fine. The brackets that hold the bar are not the same channel you put the plastic flaps into.

I'm sorry if this seems like I'm talking down to you and telling you things you already know, but I honestly think that if your bar will not move after you undo the the plastic channels without taking some kind of screws out, then those screws might have been put in to keep the bar in place for some reason.

Take pics of these screws and how the bar is attached.
              Shane "The Bag" Carlson

2.5L TJ, 5-speed, frankenlift, and stuff.
              My "Bucket" Build
              MilitaryJeepers.com
              ‚——P--;===±--= <-
              !‚–’¯ƒ¹¶

Comment

ok so i feel pretty stupid right now for never knowing that the br assembly pulled out of the two side brackets. i always thought it was one piece. thank you guys for correcting my stupidness and giving me the hint to just yank the stupid thing out.

Comment

Working...
                X