• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pennsylvania? Really? SWEET.

http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com...055464-100.stm

Legislators push PA immigration control bill
    Tuesday, May 04, 2010
    By Tom Barnes, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

HARRISBURG -- State Reps. Daryl Metcalfe and Harry Readshaw think Pennsylvania should follow Arizona's lead and "protect its borders and citizens" by giving local and state police more power to arrest, detain and eventually deport foreigners who have entered the state illegally and don't have proper registration papers.

Mr. Metcalfe, R-Cranberry, Mr. Readshaw, D-Carrick, and several other legislators today promoted House Bill 2479, which would direct a police officer "to attempt to verify the immigration status of suspected illegal aliens."

However, an officer could not stop a suspected illegal immigrant without reason -- as critics of the new Arizona law have claimed, Mr. Metcalfe said. An officer would have to have a reason for checking a suspected illegal alien's papers, such as if the alien was driving too fast, ran a red light, or was arrested for a break-in.

The bill also would create a new third-degree misdemeanor "for illegal aliens who violate federal law by either willfully failing to register as an alien or failing to possess proper proof of such registration when stopped for another primary offense, such as a traffic violation."

The bill also would attempt to crack down on employers who hire illegal aliens without first checking to see if they had registration papers and are in the state legally. It also would create a new third-class felony "for intentionally smuggling illegal aliens (into the state) for profit" and would let police officers "impound any vehicle driven by an illegal alien or used to transport illegal aliens.''

Critics of the bill, such as Sen. Daylin Leach, D-Montgomery, said immigration enforcement is a federal job, done by the Immigration, Customs and Enforcement agency, adding "State and local police are not charged with enforcing federal immigration legislation."

But Mr. Metcalfe said federal authorities have done a poor job of finding and deporting illegal immigrants and the state has the right to defend itself, as Arizona is doing.

It's difficult to know how many illegal immigrants are in Pennsylvania at any one time, but Mr. Metcalfe put the estimate at 140,000, and maintained they are costing state taxpayers at least $700 million a year in unnecessary costs. These include costs to educate the children of illegal immigrants plus costs of welfare benefits, jail cells, health care, day care and food stamps.

A number of conservative groups support the Metcalfe bill, including the Eagle Forum, the Federal Immigration Reform and Enforcement Coalition and the Citizens for Immigration Control. An official of the last group, Kathleen Appell, said, "We wish Gov. (Ed) Rendell would 'woman up' and display Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer's courage (in signing such a law) but we know that won't happen."

Mr. Rendell said today he hadn't read the Metcalfe bill, "but if it's the same as the Arizona law, I would veto it." He said the Arizona law has even been criticized by staunch conservatives such as former President George Bush adviser Karl Rove and former Colorado GOP Congressman Tom Tancredo.

Some critics have claimed the Arizona law promotes "profiling" and prejudice against certain racial and ethnic groups, Hispanics in particular, but Mr. Metcalfe denied that. He said Pennsylvania has a right to protect itself against drugs, thefts, killings and other illegal activities perpetrated by immigrants who sneak into the state without legal papers.

But Andrew Hoover of the American Civil Liberties Union said Pennsylvania shouldn't copy the Arizona law.

"What happens in Arizona stays in Arizona," he said. "The new Arizona law encourages racial profiling and betrays American values. We don't need that here in Pennsylvania."

Read more: http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com...#ixzz0n1OvV5GW
    I really don't fucking understand why people don't like this. It's illegal to be in this country and you can go to jail ANYWAY if you don't present a greencard if you are an Alien. You must have it on you at ALL TIMES according to immigration laws. All these laws do is just reinstate laws that already exist.
    Last edited by Buffalo Phil; 05-04-2010, 10:22 PM.
    sigpic
    Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

people are stupid, this is awesome
    I drive a Datsun

Comment

I love it, especially people of my own family, argue with me over this by saying my Grandparents and great-grand parents immigrated to this country.

Last time I checked they all showed up legally, worked their asses off and became American Citizens as per the rules OF THE IMMIGRATION LAWS.

My Family didn't jump a fence or float over on a banana boat, they followed the rules and were rewarded for their hard work and sacrifices.
      sigpic

Comment

what alex said.
        2013 F150 fx4 (Tow Pig/DD)
        • 5.0 with the 3.73 option

2003 TJ Rubicon
        • 4.0/42rle/np241or
        • 5.13's
        • 3" Savvy/Currie suspension with acos
        • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

It is fawkin amazing what these people get away with. seriously it is out of control. working with a few of them i learned that they get away with everything. i also learned that it is easy as pie to cross the border. Also, in regards to traffic violations, if they get pulled over without a license the car gets impounded. All they have to do is pay like 150 bucks, have someone else get their car, and they are good to go. It is simply amazing how this all works. They get in less trouble for being illegal and not a citizen than we do. If we were caught without a license we would have a HUGE fine. Other stuff we would lose our license for, they would just get a slap on the wrist and a fine. Also, they can go into hospitals for anything(even somehting as simple as a cold) and get free healthcare or medicine.

My dad told me a story the other day of a woman who has crossed the border 7 times, had a baby in a texas hospital (at no charge) and gone back over the border. 7 FUCKIN TIMES! It is out of control.

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

what are landscaping companies gonna do? lol
            2009 silver JK - destination beachy jeep
            J10 project do want.
            "attack life. its just going to kill you anyway"

Comment

PA...i think i live there?
              mrs. heavymetal from jeepforum
              2022 JL Rubicon

Originally posted by hoggie101
              and everyone qute dis because its the best grammer im going to have all year

Comment

I love it. My only issue is to much govt. control.
                -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Quartney View Post
                  hire white guys. orrrrrr hire LEGAL immigrants. They work very hard, but if they arent gonna pay taxes and give back to society like we all do, than fuck that. there are plenty of other legal people looking for jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbike View Post
                    I love it. My only issue is to much govt. control.
                    Uhm, this is what the Government SHOULD be doing. This is something the government SHOULD have control over, not private corporations.

This is one of the very few instances where I wish the Government would STEP UP and fucking take care of and follow the goddamn laws they passed.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CumminsJeep View Post
                      hire white guys. orrrrrr hire LEGAL immigrants. They work very hard, but if they arent gonna pay taxes and give back to society like we all do, than fuck that. there are plenty of other legal people looking for jobs.
                      duhhhhhhhhhh

stop making sense andrew, just lawl at my comments, gawd.
                      2009 silver JK - destination beachy jeep
                      J10 project do want.
                      "attack life. its just going to kill you anyway"

Comment

give kids in high school jobs, like how america used to be.

maybe this will get kids out of their fucking houses and off the computer during the summer.

BRING BACK THE AMERICA OF 1957 PLZ (without the all the racism and associated negatives... lol)

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
                          Uhm, this is what the Government SHOULD be doing. This is something the government SHOULD have control over, not private corporations.

This is one of the very few instances where I wish the Government would STEP UP and fucking take care of and follow the goddamn laws they passed.
                          I could see it.
                          -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

duhhhhhhhhhh

stop making sense andrew, just lawl at my comments, gawd.
                            oh i lawled

Comment

Originally posted by XJLI View Post

BRING BACK THE AMERICA OF 1957 PLZ (without the all the racism and associated negatives... lol)
                              You mean bring back personal responsibility, less government in personal lives and sweet guns laws?

Can't do that, Adam. That's Racist.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X