No announcement yet.

Tow Rigs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will you definatly made a great point on that one.... Think I'm going to finish the jeep to the point of being reliable to go anywhere, As time goes on Ill save some cash for a pickup. If i were to buy a pickup Id probably alternate dding between teh xj and the pickupp
    89XJ Pioneer Edition 3.5" 33s ravines 4:10s 8.8- parted but not forgotten
    95XJ tons 3 link 36s 5:38s
    97 F-250HD 7.3 Turbo Diesel
    If Parts Ain't Flyin' you Ain't Tryin'

"Shut up and Wheel"

Comment

Ive been debating this for my next vehicle. Id like something that I could get decent MPGs in like a honda or some bs like that, or get a 1500 to tow my Jeep. still cant decided, like the Club comp Im not bringing my trail rig because its a big pile o junk and wont make it to RC. If I had a tow rig id just tow it down beat the shit out of it and drive home just fine. hrmmmmm decisions decisions.
      -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by WAD357 View Post
        Will you definatly made a great point on that one.... Think I'm going to finish the jeep to the point of being reliable to go anywhere, As time goes on Ill save some cash for a pickup. If i were to buy a pickup Id probably alternate dding between teh xj and the pickupp
        good plan

i had a chebby 1500 i planned on using for daily driving purposes and towing. but towing was a pain in the balls compared to getting in the jeep and turning a key. and i didn't want the jeep to sit and the truck ended up sitting in my yard for the most part til i sold it.
        www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post
          and stripped a dana44 ring gear (shims walked out due to bad banditt offroad install, oh and i was on 37" creepys)
          how do the shims walk out they are under the bearings on D44?

Once you have a house and you need a truck anyways Homecheapo, dump runs. Why not tow with it? It's great insurance easy to bring spare parts, faster than airing down and back up. Anything breaks just push it onto the trailer.

I wish I could drive my jeep more on the road it's fun but the CJ-5 just sucks on the road I drive it around town but that's it. I took it on the highway once, the short wheel base with extra long pitman arm make it scary. I have another CJ in the works for just the road.

And I plan on making my buggy streetable for the fun of driving it.

But your questions about 250, 350 whatever, bigger is better, usually when you need a truck you really need a truck.

For towing it is mostly the engine not the suspension, I have an f250 with the 5.4 to small I get passed by 1500 towing.

You don't need 4x4 unless your in the snow, mine is just 2wd I wish I had 4x4 but not for the extra money.
          I also only have the base model truck 2wd crank windows no A/C etc. but for the couple times a month I use it I wish I had A/C but again not worth the money. I paid $4000 for my truck a 4x4 diesel loaded same year is like $10,000

The trailer is nice, makes it a lot easier to buy cars, or just move crap around you find many uses for it. Trailers are cheap to keep no insurance.
          I was going to by a lumber rack so I can pick up steel but I put that money into the trailer instead I just pick up my steel with the trailer.
          Plus the trailer can carrier more my truck can only carry 2000lbs in the bed but my trailer can carry 7000lbs.
          RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
          www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
          Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Originally posted by customcreationsllc View Post
            how do the shims walk out they are under the bearings on D44?
            33 spline ox locker

Comment

33 spline ox locker
              toooo many splines
              dirty30

Comment

Originally posted by customcreationsllc View Post
                Once you have a house and you need a truck anyways Homecheapo, dump runs. Why not tow with it? It's great insurance easy to bring spare parts, faster than airing down and back up. Anything breaks just push it onto the trailer.
                Yup. Total agreeancee

But your questions about 250, 350 whatever, bigger is better, usually when you need a truck you really need a truck.
                For towing it is mostly the engine not the suspension, I have an f250 with the 5.4 to small I get passed by 1500 towing.

While I agree bigger is better, don't shy away from a half ton or a smaller engine. My truck is a F150 shortbed with a v6, five speed, and 3.08 gears. I won't win any pulling contests but my truck tows my jeep just fine.(However i am stepping up to 3.73s soon for better towing and I want deeper gears anyways (not just because of the towing)).
                2013 F150 fx4 (Tow Pig/DD)
                • 5.0 with the 3.73 option

2003 TJ Rubicon
                • 4.0/42rle/np241or
                • 5.13's
                • 3" Savvy/Currie suspension with acos
                • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

I hate the 5.4 with a firey passion. It pulled two zero turn mowers like shit. I wouldn't wanna tow a jeep with that. One day that shitbomb broke down and a I had to finish the rest of the day with my 185k mile suburban 1500 with sagged out springs and it was a huge improvement.

end slightly chevy biased post.
                  1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
                  1999 sierra
                  1967 M725 Big and Slow
                  -Dan

Comment

if your going Ford get a 7.3 even tho I'm not ford guy...

Comment

find yoself a 12 valve cummins for around 5 grand. very reliable truck and easy and cheap to add some power if you dont think you have enough

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

i wish i had kept my GMC stepside, that woulda been a ballin towrig

if you are set on the tow rig dont count out the 1/2 tons, theyre just dandy for the occassional tow
                        dirty30

Comment

Originally posted by Hydra View Post
                          i wish i had kept my GMC stepside, that woulda been a ballin towrig

if you are set on the tow rig dont count out the 1/2 tons, theyre just dandy for the occassional tow
                          i had a chebby 1500 with the 4.8 ext cab, z71 and the fancy tow button

when i had a jeep on a u haul trailer i didnt even know it was back there

Comment

i had a chebby 1500 with the 4.8 ext cab, z71 and the fancy tow button

when i had a jeep on a u haul trailer i didnt even know it was back there
                            common

i have the same truck but with the 5.3L and i knew my jeep was back there. i had to keep the thing high up in the revs to maintain any seed going up hills. like i usually run at 2k rpm but towing i was at 3k to 3.5k
                            "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

Originally posted by grundlepunch View Post
                              common

i have the same truck but with the 5.3L and i knew my jeep was back there. i had to keep the thing high up in the revs to maintain any seed going up hills. like i usually run at 2k rpm but towing i was at 3k to 3.5k
                              frames are heavier than unibodies

Comment

frames are heavier than unibodies
                                oh burn
                                dirty30

Comment

Working...
                                X