Tow Rigs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tow Rigs

Need some opinions... After my first Rausch run I'm definatly going to be trying to make it a monthly thing, My question is tow rig or build the jeep better?... I can sell my stang and pickup an F250 or Preferably a 350 with a 60 up front a big block or diesel and a 5 speed. Im up in the air on buyin that or getting my jeep in better shape to dd and be able to drive the 4hr drive to and from rausch. I guess building the jeep will be cheaper but still have to worry about getting it home... My XJ currently has a 3.5" skyjacker kit 4:10s 8.8 33s... What its going to need is the front diff professionally shimmed Im getting vibes from it at 60 and the carrier is wayy to loose.. also gunna need steering and a manifold maybe a front sway bar too.. What are your opinions?
    89XJ Pioneer Edition 3.5" 33s ravines 4:10s 8.8- parted but not forgotten
    95XJ tons 3 link 36s 5:38s
    97 F-250HD 7.3 Turbo Diesel
    If Parts Ain't Flyin' you Ain't Tryin'

"Shut up and Wheel"

finish the jeep.

if youre on 33s and cant drive it comfortable 3-4 hours, youre not finished.

Comment

In before sams retarded comment

I prefer having a tow rig because i know i will break i like the insurance of having it
      1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
      2001 wj tbd
      1974 5 ton

Comment

i vote build it better

i did the tow rig thing. problem is, i towed once and decided it wasnt for me. i enjoy driving the jeep too much.

there were 2 times i didn't make it home on monday

blew a wheel bearing after the parts stores close ( i now carry spare bearings)

and stripped a dana44 ring gear (shims walked out due to bad banditt offroad install, oh and i was on 37" creepys)

with the spare bearings and a dana60 in the back now, my setup is virtually bombproof on 35" radials and drives on the street fine and dandy and i have confidence it will make the trek back from the trail each time
        www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by raze1287 View Post
          In before sams retarded comment

I prefer having a tow rig because i know i will break i like the insurance of having it
          don't you have some balls to tap?

Comment

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post
            don't you have some balls to tap?
            yea yours
            1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
            2001 wj tbd
            1974 5 ton

Comment

yea yours
              clever answer!

Comment

only playing on your level
                2001 wj tbd
                1974 5 ton

Comment

only playing on your level

Comment

i say only get a truck if you plan to use it a lot other then towing your jeep

i love my truck, use it as a truck all the time (and DD it). and its just an added bonus that it can tow my jeep.
                    "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

fix the jeep....
                      #becauseJoeNitro

Comment

if by bigblock you mean the 460 in the older fords, I wouldn't get one.
                        1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
                        1999 sierra
                        1967 M725 Big and Slow
                        -Dan

Comment

keep the rig streetable, but dont rule out trailering it to far away weekend runs.

thats my take.

dont make it a trailer queen only, too many people get too in over their heads with that and lose interest.

a streetable rig that gets trailered from time to time = ideal. youre not going to impress anyone not trailering it for the sake of not trailering it IMO.

if i could tow my jeep sometimes, bet your ass i would. just because i can drive it anywhere doesnt make that the best option every time out
                          - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                          or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                          Originally posted by DizzDizz
                          aliens probed my husband

Comment

like they said, only buy a truck if youre gonna use it for more than just towing once a month.... and if you do buy one just for towing the jeep every once in a while, an F250 or 350 is pretty much overkill... my chevy 1500 with the 350 will tow an xj loaded up with stuff and not break a sweat...
                            Last edited by WBkrazy; 03-29-2010, 09:15 PM.
                            "Life's tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." John Wayne

88 Jeep Comanche 4.0/AW-4/NP231/D30/D35
                            95 Chevy K1500 ext. cab 350/4L60E/NP208
                            91 GMC Sonoma 2wd 4.3/700R4 (gotta have something that gets good gas mileage!)

Comment

Well said William
                              HOONIGAN FOR LIFE
                              OLD 4X4'S NEVER DIE!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X