Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online Degrees

lets discuss.

I am wanting to get my degree in Software Engineering or Information Assurance. Probably software engineering with a some courses in IA. I have been looking at online courses like University of Phoenix, Strayer and some other places. University of Maryland and Villanova have some good online courses too.

What are your guys thoughts on the whole online thing? I feel like its not as cool as a degree from actually going to a class and learning. Maybe looked down upon? but I dont really have time to do that and my company will pay for me to get a degree so I would like to use that.
    You better decide if you are hanging on the cross, or banging in the nails

Originally posted by Saharicon View Post
    lets discuss.

I am wanting to get my degree in Software Engineering or Information Assurance. Probably software engineering with a some courses in IA. I have been looking at online courses like University of Phoenix, Strayer and some other places. University of Maryland and Villanova have some good online courses too.

What are your guys thoughts on the whole online thing? I feel like its not as cool as a degree from actually going to a class and learning. Maybe looked down upon? but I dont really have time to do that and my company will pay for me to get a degree so I would like to use that.
    In your situation, I would recommend pursuing online coursework, since you are already employed and will probably get a nice raise for completing your degree and being more valuable to the company.

However, there are many employers who look down on this, and in addition, there are also many corporations that require your degree to be from a properly accredited university, which for most physical sciences, engineering and technology is ABET (Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology). This is a lengthy and rigorous process to ensure curriculum compliance. My current position required this, and so did the other companies I interviewed with.

This does not necessarily mean that online coursework would be a problem for you in the future, since documented experience in applying a degree to real world problems is far more valuable than the degree itself. Just some food for thought.
    You're a ___________

Comment

i've been looking into Phoenix for a little bit. The recruiter is getting pretty aggressive and i'm way not cool with that. I've read some reviews and some people say its a horrible place. Its not much cheaper then a brick and mortar school. I don't really have time to drive to a school to attend full time. i'm just not sure of the learning process. they gave me a free trail for 3 days. its basically like an online forum. the teacher posts the assignment and everyone responds with their questions or answers.

Comment

I took an online course through westconn a couple semesters back

pros: I didn't have to go to class, saved gas monies, I got to go on SiS simultaneously

cons: my memory for due assignments is terrible and I missed out on the whole teacher repetition thing, you don't get the same visual experience, and I got to go on SiS simultaneously.
        dirty30

Comment

hmmm, I dunno what to do. Im very skeptical. Like how the fawk are you going to teach me engineering over the computer!?! I dunno, and I dont know anybody that has personally done it. My partner I work with was just telling me he has a friend that got her Masters from Phoenix.

giants fan, get use to the hounding. They are sales people and its there job. I have talked to so many schools and this is always the problem, its annoying. I got so tired of this guy from Villanova that I told him I went to pakistan and there was no internet and I would call him if I made it back.

Comment

Originally posted by Saharicon View Post
            hmmm, I dunno what to do. Im very skeptical. Like how the fawk are you going to teach me engineering over the computer!?! I dunno, and I dont know anybody that has personally done it. My partner I work with was just telling me he has a friend that got her Masters from Phoenix.

giants fan, get use to the hounding. They are sales people and its there job. I have talked to so many schools and this is always the problem, its annoying. I got so tired of this guy from Villanova that I told him I went to pakistan and there was no internet and I would call him if I made it back.
            Ha ha, the Villanova one is the best. I was looking at Six Sigma certs. and I thought it was the real Villanova at first, and then I realized it had no affiliation whatsoever and was like wtf this is so shady.
            You're a ___________

Comment

Six Sigma is really good to have. Almost all the big wigs at my job are Black Belts. I was going to knock that out while I was gone, but they do it all in house and wont recognize any Six Sigma from outside the company. I talked to Lockheed and Northrop and they are like that oo.

Comment

lol is villanova and villanova online really not the same school? They have the same crest and everything haha. One of the guys that work for us took there six sigma training online. It was actually a really good set up, he showed it to me.

Comment

i've taken a couple online courses. i'm not a fan. i do still take some but i only take easy courses that would be a waste of tiem to go to class for. my memory is shot and i'd always miss assignment due dates and tests and other crap. not my cup of tea
                  2 tj's
                  3 yj's
                  2 xj's
                  i'm a jeep whore

"id walk 6 hours one way to suck a fart out of megan fox's ass"

Comment

Fuck that i got my edumaction on the street with the gangsters
                    1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
                    2001 wj tbd
                    1974 5 ton

Comment

I spoke a lot with Phoenix too when I was planning to move to Cali...they hasseled the hell out of me for about a year after i decided not to go but during the fact they were super nice....
                      2009 silver JK - destination beachy jeep
                      J10 project do want.
                      "attack life. its just going to kill you anyway"

Comment

I have a friend getting a masters from Univ of Michigan online right now... pretty sure it is in software engineering.

I've taken some online classes and didn't really get much out of the classes as compared to going to class.
                        99 Dub Ya Jay

My Adventures Thread
                        http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15148

Comment

Working...
                        X