DUI as a civilian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DUI as a civilian

Just curious, this is a question for those who have legit jobs aka Not Mcdonalds or paper boy.

Say you were to go out and get a DUI, would your company look down on you for this? Would they care, could they fire you over it, or punish you in any way for getting a DUI? Or as long as it didnt effect you in a negative way ( missing work for court, not being able to drive to/from work) does it not matter.

Im just curious, no reason really. Just wanted to compare how a DUI affected someone as a civilian vs military.

I think it really depends on the employer and also what your job is. Me personally, not everyone knows this but I got a DUI Jan. 18th of this year. The whole situation was really fucked up. It really got me down and is a huge hassle and lots of money. I have my court date Oct. 27th. I was about to say fuck it and just give up on a lot of stuff I wanted to do because of it. Then I was like screw this, im not letting this get me down. I sent my Resume to the company I work for, I got an interview and when I went to my interview I wrote a statement on my DUI and what my charges are going to be.

They honestly didnt even flinch at it, they were like ok and looked to the side and I was pretty much hired on the spot. I dont have a bullshit job either, I carry a level 3 clearance and deal with a lot of pretty serious business stuff. With all that said, if you really set down and looked at my Resume(i dont like to toot my own horn) but it is very impressive. I have a lot of awards from the Marine Corp(not the kind everyone just gets handed out to them) etc etc.

With all that said I had a SSgt in the Marines that had 3 DUIs, he was non reced and would never get promoted and still had 8 years left to hit his 20.

One of my best friends in the Marines got a DUI and was knocked from a NCO to a Lcpl and lost 1/2 pay for 2 months and got a ton of shit jobs.
    Last edited by Saharicon; 10-08-2009, 06:47 PM.
    You better decide if you are hanging on the cross, or banging in the nails

Comment

I would lose my connecticut Emissions inspector position and it would hinder the other part of my job some as I wouldnt be able to take test drive's for vehicle problems and have to pull another mechanic off to do it for me. They would have to rearrange hours to have someone to cover the hours I used to test emissions for...
      up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
      eliminator MJ - Sold
      99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
      Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

my old job they dont give a shit. as long as u get to work and sell you can do whatever the fuck u want on your own time
        2 tj's
        3 yj's
        2 xj's
        i'm a jeep whore

"id walk 6 hours one way to suck a fart out of megan fox's ass"

Comment

Originally posted by Saharicon View Post
          I think it really depends on the employer and also what your job is. Me personally, not everyone knows this but I got a DUI Jan. 18th of this year. The whole situation was really fucked up. It really got me down and is a huge hassle and lots of money. I have my court date Oct. 27th. I was about to say fuck it and just give up on a lot of stuff I wanted to do because of it. Then I was like screw this, im not letting this get me down. I sent my Resume to the company I work for, I got an interview and when I went to my interview I wrote a statement on my DUI and what my charges are going to be.

They honestly didnt even flinch at it, they were like ok and looked to the side and I was pretty much hired on the spot. I dont have a bullshit job either, I carry a level 3 clearance and deal with a lot of pretty serious business stuff. With all that said, if you really set down and looked at my Resume(i dont like to toot my own horn) but it is very impressive. I have a lot of awards from the Marine Corp(not the kind everyone just gets handed out to them) etc etc.

With all that said I had a SSgt in the Marines that had 3 DUIs, he was non reced and would never get promoted and still had 8 years left to hit his 20.

One of my best friends in the Marines got a DUI and was knocked from a NCO to a Lcpl and lost 1/2 pay for 2 months and got a ton of shit jobs.
          But I thought that having a security clearance meant your record had to be squeaky clean. I'm not sure what a level 3 clearance is either, can you elaborate? I am only familiar with Secret and Top Secret. Also, do you mind if I ask if you work for a defense contractor, because here in CT, Sikorsky, P&W, Electric Boat, and other contractors dealing with classified projects won't even consider you unless you have no convictions at all if the position will require you to get a clearance.
          You're a ___________

Comment

Originally posted by Danksters View Post
            But I thought that having a security clearance meant your record had to be squeaky clean. I'm not sure what a level 3 clearance is either, can you elaborate? I am only familiar with Secret and Top Secret. Also, do you mind if I ask if you work for a defense contractor, because here in CT, Sikorsky, P&W, Electric Boat, and other contractors dealing with classified projects won't even consider you unless you have no convictions at all if the position will require you to get a clearance.
            3 is TS and yes I work for one of the largest defense contractors in the world and re read I have not technically been convicted of anything, i technically do have a squeaky clean record. My court date is the 27th of this month.

Oh also a clearance has lots of factors that are looked at and considered. The book you fill out to get one on your background is like a 500 page novel. I had a clearance in the military as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Arundlemcbrundle View Post
              my old job they dont give a shit. as long as u get to work and sell you can do whatever the fuck u want on your own time
              x2 my company was cool with it as long as i showed up to work.. and i work for one of the biggest non union const. companies running machines

Comment

Shit. Good luck with that. I was just doing some reading, and if you do get convicted, make sure you let the appropriate people know immediately:

From Department of Defense website:

Pursuant to the National Industrial Security Program Operating Manual (NISPOM), it is the responsibility of security clearance holders to report events which negatively affect the status of the security clearance holder or the facility. As a general rule, any information under the National Industrial Program Operating Manual (NISPOM) (1) that reflects adversely on the integrity or character of a security clearance holder, should be reported to security personnel to avoid compromising situations that make the security clearance holder vulnerable to coercion, exploitation, or duress. Through an error of omission, Applicant did not immediately report his DUI arrest to security in January 2001. Although Applicant provided a sworn statement in October 2001, advising an Agent from the Defense Security Service (DSS) he had not informed his employer of the January 2001 DUI, there is no evidence in the record Applicant told his Senior Vice President and Facility Security Officer of the alcohol-related incident until April 2002. Even though both individuals make reference to the incident, there is still no indication of what Applicant told them. Because Applicant waited over a year to report the alcohol-related incident, the favorable character evidence is insufficient to overcome the negative evidence under the personal conduct guideline and the whole person concept. Clearance is denied.

So basically, if he told them right away, it probably would have been cool, because hey, we're all a bunch of drunks, but he chose not to tell anyone, so clearance revoked.
                You're a ___________

Comment

a statement was made and already submitted with my clearance request

Comment

i know people who have done drugs and who have gotten DUI's before they were in the military and still get clearances, just makes it harder to get

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                      i know people who have done drugs and who have gotten DUI's before they were in the military and still get clearances, just makes it harder to get
                      lol me, I smoked pot in high school(dumb moves) and still got my clearance

Comment

Many civilian jobs that men traditionally hold involve driving to a job site. Take away the driver's license and they will take away your job. Its not that the bosses have a problem with the drinking but they can't let you drive on their liability.

Comment

should have never told the military you did

Comment

smoking pot in high school is only a dumb move if you get caught
                            You're a ___________

Comment

Originally posted by Arundlemcbrundle View Post
                              cokehead automall, matt speaking. how may i help you
                              I drive a Datsun

Comment

Working...
                              X