No announcement yet.

DUI as a civilian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

having a class a CDL if i got a DUI the penalties would be DOUBLE what a civilian or military personnel would get...as well as double fines automatic 1-3 yr suspension and alcohol classes fines,etc...not worth it in my opinion...thats why i dont drink....
    99 XJ on tons and 40s....

Comment

My Dad was a truck driver (delivered steel) for 40+ years and when the drinking and driving crackdown started years ago his group of drinking buddies switched to drinking soda at the bar on payday instead of beer.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
        Just curious, this is a question for those who have legit jobs aka Not Mcdonalds or paper boy.

Say you were to go out and get a DUI, would your company look down on you for this? Would they care, could they fire you over it, or punish you in any way for getting a DUI? Or as long as it didnt effect you in a negative way ( missing work for court, not being able to drive to/from work) does it not matter.

Im just curious, no reason really. Just wanted to compare how a DUI affected someone as a civilian vs military.
        i work for to gov. i have my secret clearance. you can get a clearance after you got a dui, but people have lost their jobs after they got a dui. doesnt make sense but i've seen it happen
        "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

I've gotten a DUI and it didn't effect my job one bit being a civilian.

I also know someone personally that has gotten 2 DUI's while in the military(top secret clearance), that basically added up to jack shit. They will let shit slide for someone that is more valuable as far as their job is concerned, compared to someone who can easily be replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by fullwidthxj191 View Post
            I've gotten a DUI and it didn't effect my job one bit being a civilian.

I also know someone personally that has gotten 2 DUI's while in the military(top secret clearance), that basically added up to jack shit. They will let shit slide for someone that is more valuable as far as their job is concerned, compared to someone who can easily be replaced.
            Very true, both of the people I mentioned both had clearances and they didnt get taken, just lost pay.
            You better decide if you are hanging on the cross, or banging in the nails

Comment

Originally posted by Saharicon View Post
              just lost pay.
              bingo.

Comment

Yeah usually they won't fire you over it but it all depends on the circumstances and what you do, and also how many you get in what amount of time

Comment

I have a government clearance that can be taken away. Also when you are legal to drive emergency apparatus with a IIQ license, that is usually taken away if you get a DUI. They don't remove either immediately, it is usually circumstantial. Over the limit is over the limit when it comes to the law, but as far as my comapny is concerned, they are willing to recognize there is a difference between 2 glasses of wine and getting pulled over, and driving like a wreckless idiot all over the road because your so drunk you can't find the yellow lines.

Luckily I haven't come close to testing the limits. I do know for a fact that a few guys I work with have had a previous DUI from high school, like 10-15 years previous. It comes up during the bcg check, also when we have to meet with the gov. reps and then you can "please your case" ie- tell them what happened, and they can either accept or deny your clearance process, which is needed for the job (so basically accept, deny your employment)
                  Last edited by Adam; 10-09-2009, 12:14 AM.
                  2000 XJ
                  2000 A.C.E. 750

Comment

basically it doesnt affect alot of things job related. but if you drive for a living youre fawked
                    Watch your backhoe, I'm the John Deere man.

Comment

Working...
                    X