Save some money on your cages people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Save some money on your cages people

Been awhile since i revisited this thread, but it continues to constantly prove what i have seen in the past.

Schedule 40 material. I've used 1-1/4" (that isnt OD) sched 40, STEEL pipe, for everything ive bent on my couple of jeeps so far, and theres no shortage of wannabe metal experts telling me how it isnt trustworthy as a cage or anything.

read your little hearts out at the endless personal experience to ditch this claim.
    http://www1.pirate4x4.com/forum/show...=747186&page=9

all of you lookin to spend meelions on some DOM cage, i think its worthy reconsidering your views..i dont see there being much of an argument on "pipe" vs "tube" anymore for our application. christ, theres even a used and abused full "pipe buggy" so to speak in that thread that was built with a HF bender.

before someone comes in here and says "omg but Will, nascar requires 476382832 aircraft spaceshuttle geno alloy chromo cages for a reason!!1!!1!!!" or whatever other canned argument, when youre driving a nascar racecar on the trails, lemme know and we'll discuss it.

"poop pipe" is iron and under your sinks. structural steel pipe is not even in the same class.
    - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
    or am asians pants not a read end lol.
    Originally posted by DizzDizz
    aliens probed my husband

ill take hrew.....

i like the middle
    Originally posted by Ktmracer419
    some people choose video games
    some choose projects
    some choose welding random things together

Comment

bending unbendable metal what?
      2009 silver JK - destination beachy jeep
      J10 project do want.
      "attack life. its just going to kill you anyway"

Comment

Originally posted by justtorchit View Post

i like the middle
        me too

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ7ZvxXvn90[/ame]
        - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

ill take hrew.....

i like the middle
          "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

reasoning?
            - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

im to cheap for dom, and i dont want my rig smelling like shit
              Originally posted by Ktmracer419
              some people choose video games
              some choose projects
              some choose welding random things together

Comment

koh
                1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
                2001 wj tbd
                1974 5 ton

Comment

im to cheap for dom, and i dont want my rig smelling like shit
                  why build a cage out of anything when you wear a helmet all day?
                  - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                    reasoning?
                    what i've seen in person
                    "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

Originally posted by grundlepunch View Post
                      what i've seen in person
                      as far as?

ive seen a sched 40 cage roll hard, twice, on rocks, and was undamaged, and then this pirate thread is full of all sorts of personal experience,a nd pictures

just lookin for some discussion here
                      - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

i have seen it dent in good on rolls, where dom and hrew just get scratched more or less....

i could be mistaken though, as it were many moons ago, and im not sure they were comparable thickness ect....

i lawled at this:
                        Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
                        Which do you guys think will fare better in a murderdeathkill type rollover? A bare bones 6 point DOM cage with no triangulation, or a full-tilt ASTM sch40 cage full of nodes? Dont bother, i already know the answer.

This is the main thing that has pissed me off on all these tube vs. pipe debates over the years. I got into rock crawling in 98, and started building an early Bronco with limited info from mags and the web. Around y2k i built my first cage. Because of a super limited budget, and a bunch of know nothing morons popping off about things that they have no experience with, i was under the impression that it needed to be DOM or i was going to die.

Because of this piss poor info combined with my trailer park budget, i had to settle for a bare bones 6 point DOM that i had bent at our local dirt track builder's shop. Had i known the truth back then, i woulda got a HF kinker and modified it, and about 8 sticks of sch40 and had a super billy badass cage that could take more punishment than i could ever give it- for the same cost as the POS tube cage that i wound up with.

There are people out there RIGHT NOW wheeling the hard shit with no cage whatsoever because they are under the false assumption that you need $800 worth of bender/dies and big$$$ tube to have a cage. Not smart, but some people would risk their lives rather than risk being made fun of on the internet by truthfully a bunch of people who are good fabricators but dont know dick about metallurgy or different grades of structural steel. Jenna Jameson might have the trickest pussy on earth but that dont make her a gynocologist.

Dont believe the hype... trust in pipe.

Comment

I could see sched 40 working on slower ROCK events were speeds are not that great. But i would not use it on a koh vehicle or a desert racer.
                          1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
                          2001 wj tbd
                          1974 5 ton

Comment

one of DOMs advantages is it deforms (dents) instead of cracks or shatters

ive seen plenty of dented up and deformed DOM cages throughout the competitions ive been to
                            - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by Cletus View Post
                              I could see sched 40 working on slower ROCK events were speeds are not that great. But i would not use it on a koh vehicle or a desert racer.
                              i think its safe assumption that sis is full of crawlers and not desert racers
                              - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

Working...
                              X