Opinions on teh l4nd r0v3r...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on teh l4nd r0v3r...

Seriously... I am in the market for a new wheeler. I am interested in the discovery because I would be able to make ski runs and drive it around in winter comfortably, while having some pretty good wheeling capability in stock or close to stock form with a little lift and some 32/33's

Trouble is... ive never actually seen one wheeled or wheeled one myself, other than on the stupid land rover commericials.

In theory it should wheel pretty well stock, as it comes stock with lockers (why jeep never did this ill never know... the new rav4 has lockers) but im wondering if anyone has experience in or around them. Spanks.
    2001 TJ
    2001 Tahoe
    2013 M3
    1986 R65
    1997 Blackbird
    2013 R1200GS

series I or series II? neither had lockers stock.. the I had an option for a LSD, the II has ELSDs with the brake assist traction control setup thingie in all of em. i've driven the I, II, and the new LR3, and wheeled a I and a II.. I like the DII the best for an offroad rig.. the LR3 seems real delicate but it sure is nice. theyre expensive as fuck to maintain and buy parts for though, the reason my friends got rid of their discos.

Comment

Originally posted by XJLI View Post
      series I or series II? neither had lockers stock.. the I had an option for a LSD, the II has ELSDs with the brake assist traction control setup thingie in all of em. i've driven the I, II, and the new LR3, and wheeled a I and a II.. I like the DII the best for an offroad rig.. the LR3 seems real delicate but it sure is nice. theyre expensive as fuck to maintain and buy parts for though, the reason my friends got rid of their discos.
      Series I, I have trouble wheeling anything under 10-15 years old, just doesnt seem right. I thought I remembered seeing a locker shifter but maybe that was on a range rover? If the discos dont have lockers that pretty much nudges them out of the running... i can get an unlocked xj for 1/4 the cost of the discos.
      2001 TJ
      2001 Tahoe
      2013 M3
      1986 R65
      1997 Blackbird
      2013 R1200GS

Comment

I think the newer defenders came with lockers but i could be wrong. I think I remember seeing one with front and rear dif lock levers in the cab. but i could be mistaken.

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

dont bother then. the DI is a piece, and by now theyre all falling apart. plus the 3.9/4.0 V8s cant get out of their own way. if you want comfort+wheeling pick up a gently used ZJ.. those can be had cheap and are old enough for you lol.

Comment

I would say don't get one. My friend got a 96 disco for $1200 and it's had A LOT of problems. Not to mention it sucked in the snow. Honestly thought we were going to die. The interior is terrible and uncomfortable, it has serious leaking issues, and handles like shit. oh and x2 on the motor being a fucking dog.
            1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
            1999 sierra
            1967 M725 Big and Slow
            -Dan

Comment

Originally posted by CumminsJeep View Post
              I think the newer defenders came with lockers but i could be wrong. I think I remember seeing one with front and rear dif lock levers in the cab. but i could be mistaken.
              in the new ones theyre all electronic ABS-based LSDs.. LR never offered axle lockers in the discos. the older ones however label the transfer case shifter as a 'center differential lock,' so that could be causing the confusion.

I do love discos, but I could never own one without having lots of cash. I disagree with Dan.. I think they handle great, and are super comfy. and the driving position/dash on the discos is fucking sick.

Comment

Originally posted by XJLI View Post
                in the new ones theyre all electronic ABS-based LSDs.. LR never offered axle lockers in the discos. the older ones however label the transfer case shifter as a 'center differential lock,' so that could be causing the confusion.

hmmm you could be right. i really thought it said dif lock but i could be wrong....must research now

Comment

youre right adam. i just looked and found exactly what you said. the levers say "dif lock" but it actually means "center dif lock" meaning the engagement of the t case

Comment

youre right adam. i just looked and found exactly what you said. the levers say "dif lock" but it actually means "center dif lock" meaning the engagement of the t case
                    Yep thats what I saw too... 'center diff lock', its called a fuckign transfer case you bangers.

I gotta admit as far as SUV comforts go, I liked the disco. I found it comfortable and great for driving around in, though I agree about the engine. The disco i test drove a few years ago was good to about 80mph... the range rover with the same 4.0 couldnt break 65, no lie.

And stupidly I am now researching RR 'classics'
                    2001 TJ
                    2001 Tahoe
                    2013 M3
                    1986 R65
                    1997 Blackbird
                    2013 R1200GS

Comment

dont doubt my landy knowledge I almost bought my friends DI a month or two before I bought my XJ... but then the tranny sploded so I'm happy I didnt hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by loudobbs View Post

And stupidly I am now researching RR 'classics'
                        those are the sex. just make sure you get one with coils and not air suspension.

Comment

buy a trek truck and i'll be your bff

i wanted one for the longest time when i was younger

Comment

why are all the stickers backwards on the bottom one?
                            P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
                            2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
                            OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

Hey I worked for Land Rover North America for a few years. Competed in 1 of their Trek events. I have owned close to 50 different model Land Rovers over the years. All I can say is, when they are good, they are great! But when they are not, be prepared and have deep pockets!
                              HOONIGAN FOR LIFE
                              OLD 4X4'S NEVER DIE!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X