trucks... what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trucks... what to do?

So, i want a new truck. I currently have a 2000 Ford ranger 3.0L v6 (i owe nothing on it). Its a nice truck and all but the thing has no power and no room (single cab). I want a full sized extended cab truck, that i can tow my jeep with.

The way I look at it i have a few options.
    1. buy a used truck, thinking 2002 or newer tundra or chevy 1500. both should get OK gas millage, be nice to drive/have people in and tow a jeep every once and a while. But people want a lot of money for a used truck right now.. and its hard finding them with under 80K miles. Im sick of working on cars right now and dont want other peoples problems.

2. buy a brand new truck. auto companies are hurting right now and it is an opportunity to score a deal on a truck that will last me a long time. i've never had a new vehicle and it would sweet to just have a nice truck. I can swing the payments.... but do i want to?

3. buy an old supper duty to use as a weekend truck and tow rig and get a used car. the only downside to this is i dont want extra cars and trucks at my house, i want to downsize and have a vehicle that can meet all my needs. but the price is good right now, i saw a 96 f350 with trailer for around $4k... thats a deal.

so yeah, im bored at work and have had this on my mind for a few weeks now, im being super indecisive and all i know is i dont want to drive my truck for much longer
    any words of wisdom or insight would be helpful.
    "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

i bought my chebby for a tow rig/ daily driver duties

in the year i owned it i put half the miles on that that i put on the jeep.

it was a 2000 with the 4.8. ext cab, z71, fancy tow package.
    got right around 20 mpg
    i towed with it once and it's fully capable of comfortably towing a rig

the jeep was just more fun to drive and i felt like a badass in it.
    www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

or you can just get a caprice
      www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post
        i bought my chebby for a tow rig/ daily driver duties

in the year i owned it i put half the miles on that that i put on the jeep.

it was a 2000 with the 4.8. ext cab, z71, fancy tow package.
        got right around 20 mpg
        i towed with it once and it's fully capable of comfortably towing a rig

the jeep was just more fun to drive and i felt like a badass in it.
        i could just DD my jeep, but i need a truck (quad, bikes, dump runs ect...) and i want something that drives nice and reliable. haha

on a side note.. how is the 4.8??? i convinced myself i needed the 5.3 if i went with a cheby
        "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

Diesels are nice, but realistically I think you can get away with a gas job if you are going to just tow a couple of times a year. I know someone who bought a diesel dually just to tow a jeep wrangler a couple of times a year maybe to compensate for something else. My diesel has more than enough power to tow a jeep, I have also towed full size wheeling rigs for people with it and it does the job ok. If you are going to tow with it, I think a 3/4 ton is better, because you have better brakes and suspension.

I don't know about the new vs used. I have always bought older used stuff and get angry having to work on it. On the other hand I like the simplicity of older stuff. Warranty or not, good luck fixing anything newer on the side of the highway when it breaks down in the middle of nowhere.
          1950 Willys Trail Rig
          2007.5 Dodge 2500 QCSB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 4x4

Comment

or you can just get a caprice
            tis what I did!

I'd go the used truck/daily driver route. Get a 2500 though

Comment

Originally posted by DrThunder View Post
              tis what I did!

I'd go the used truck/daily driver route. Get a 2500 though
              why is that?

i want too, but i would have 4 registered and insured vehicles on my property along with my roommates 3.... thats just to much and im kinda ruling it out

Comment

do want:

Comment

i felt like a badass in it.
                  Sam, you are clearly a badass with or without it.

Comment

Get a new one, sick deals, do it.

Comment

I would really look and see what kind of deals the new car dealerships are willing to give you. I know in '06, when my cousin bought his 2500hd, they were knocked a good amount off so I'd be curious to see what they are willing to do for someone right now. I think that the thing that stinks about buying new is the initial depreciation but it seems that isn't what it used to be.

On a side note, if you're looking at bigger trucks, watch it with the skinny pedal. My cousin hasn't learned this at all and only gets around 10-12mpg according to the computer

Comment

Originally posted by grundlepunch View Post
                        why is that?

i want too, but i would have 4 registered and insured vehicles on my property along with my roommates 3.... thats just to much and im kinda ruling it out
                        no i meant get a truck you can double it up as. i would def look at deisels though, better fuel economy, more power.

Comment

Originally posted by DrThunder View Post
                          no i meant get a truck you can double it up as. i would def look at deisels though, better fuel economy, more power.
                          the fuel economy is kindof offset by diesel prices though, amirite?

Comment

I would get an older chevy with the vortec 5.7. You can find them for nice and cheap and they are definitely reliable. Mine has 203k on it and it still drives fine.
                            1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
                            1999 sierra
                            1967 M725 Big and Slow
                            -Dan

Comment

A customer at work bought a 2009 dodge crew cab dually for $18000 brand new. Thats a steal. You can find great deals on new trucks now.

Comment

Working...
                              X