insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• insurance

Has anyone ever dealt with insurance for their Jeeps as a modified vehicle, or has everyone just declared them as stock? The reason I Ask is because my mom is afraid that if I were to injure someone with my jeep could they sue us due to the fact that it is modified and go after us even worse.

I had no idea and wondered what people here do. Currently I am insured as a stock vehicle with the bare minimum just to cover any injuries I may cause to another driver. Do people declare as a modified vehicle?

Also, I do not care about fixing damage to my jeep via insurance, I am past that point so don't consider that.

I also looked into CT hot rod/custom vehicle registration and thought maybe I could somehow use that. Would this be something worthwhile to look into anyways? What would you get out of it and everything?

Just some thoughts if anyone has any experience with any of this.
    Hack Shack Racing #4632 Jeep TJ

They asked me if my old XJ was modified, I said it was stock. Fuck them, they fucking charge you out the ass regardless. That being said I don't have the slightest idea of the legal ramifications of getting in an accident and then having them find out you modded it.
    1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
    1999 sierra
    1967 M725 Big and Slow
    -Dan

Comment

I use Allstate they asked if it was modified I said no. But they do insure my tools and tool box.
      Dizz dizz go sleep sleep

Driver 4677 FSM vehicle

Comment

Ya thing is I am solely looking at the ramifications for killing someone and them blaming it on my mods which were not declared. If it was me on the insurance I wouldn't be worried really but it's my parents so they wanted to look into it at least to know. I will be transferring to my own name anyway soon so for whatever it's worth....

Comment

I believe it would have to be registered and insured as a hobby vehicle.. But I think you on the right track with the hot rod thing
          99 XJ on tons and 40s....

Comment

When i first got the cherokee 5 years ago they asked and my dad told them that it was lifted a little. it raised the price but i was 16 so it was already super high. If i remember they had like a limit on how modified was ok, so since i was less then like 3" they covered it.

Comment

check into an Umbrella insurance policy

Can get a lot of coverage for relatively little premium

They may have exclusions based on injury/damage caused by "recreational vehicles", tho that may just apply to quads etc.

Comment

I'm insured as stock. To insure it as a modified vehicle was four times the price.
                2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
                MK2 Jetta > M3
                Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

sounds like its pretty gay up there for guys with Jeeps :/ i dont think ive ever been asked that question my entire life
                  -00 XJ. 3.5", 33s. Stuff
                  https://www.facebook.com/M3TALurgist
                  I Love Scott Decker and Erik Miller
                  -Ian

"Blood makes you related, Loyalty makes you family"

Comment

In my opinion they would have to prove you negligent and the the mods that were done to your Jeep and how/if you and the mods were the cause of the accident. As far as I know negligence is very very hard to prove. If you plan on doing something super risky off road in your jeep do it by yourself with no passengers. If you are out in the woods and something happens finish them off and bury them . 3 can keep a secret if 2 are dead!

Just my .2cents
                    HOONIGAN FOR LIFE
                    OLD 4X4'S NEVER DIE!!!!!

Comment

I've very been asked.
                      P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
                      2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
                      OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro View Post
                        I've very been asked.
                        This makes 0 sense...
                        "Watching you work on your Jeep is like watching a doctor operate on a cadaver...
                        It may be good practice, but in the end it won't do much good." -My Mother.

Comment

I don't type good. Never been asked.
                          P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
                          2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
                          OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

Originally posted by #DEZERTDAD View Post
                            In my opinion they would have to prove you negligent and the the mods that were done to your Jeep and how/if you and the mods were the cause of the accident. As far as I know negligence is very very hard to prove. If you plan on doing something super risky off road in your jeep do it by yourself with no passengers. If you are out in the woods and something happens finish them off and bury them . 3 can keep a secret if 2 are dead!

Just my .2cents
                            This is what I would think would make the most sense. I hope that's how it works.

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjlaredo View Post
                              sounds like its pretty gay up there for guys with Jeeps :/ i dont think ive ever been asked that question my entire life
                              correction, i was asked that question when i just put the new one on the insurance....my insurance guy took pictures (for the collision/comprehensive coverage) and he asked me "what are your plans with it, lift or lower...its clean but just too plain" and he agrees that a 4.5" lift with 33-35s would be perfect for it
                              -00 XJ. 3.5", 33s. Stuff
                              https://www.facebook.com/M3TALurgist
                              I Love Scott Decker and Erik Miller
                              -Ian

"Blood makes you related, Loyalty makes you family"

Comment

Working...
                              X