Pirate4x4 BS on Crush Collars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pirate4x4 BS on Crush Collars

So a question came up on Pirate about crush collars and everyone is under the impression that you can over crush a collar by smashing the pinion yoke on a rock.

I totally disagree.
    What side are you on?

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1080545
    You can over crush a collar by smashing the yoke on a rock and loose pinion preload.
    8.33%
    You cannot crush the collar by smashing the yoke on a rock to loose pinion preload
    66.67%
    I don't care.
    25.00%
    RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
    www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
    Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Bummer will do some good for today:

per exhibit A:

The red is the crush sleeve. See how its BETWEEN the races?

Any force hitting the flange will transfer to the blue bearings and into the case.

Comment

INCONCEIVABLE!
      dirty30

Comment

You cant. The crush collar requires force both ways. Otherwise you are just pushing the outer bearing into the case as said above and lessening the load in the innter.
        Dan.
        2000 XJ, BJ 60 front, welded, 5.13's, 3 link, ruffstuff heims. D70 rear, detroit, 5.13's, discs. stretched. trail ready beadlocks. 39" Red labels. 4:1 Klune V-drive/D20, PSC full hydro

http://www.facebook.com/people/Dan-M...00000913365979
        www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

okay, here is a silly thought and i understand the crush sleave will not crush unless there is force on both sides. the pinion floats freely on the races.
          im trying to imagine in my head if there is any loading on the pinion by the ring gear. pushing the pinion(therefore creating a force against the crush collar in that direction)

so say you have alot of rotating mass (big tires spinning fast)then all of a sudden the pinion hits a rock while the hammer is down. the pinion stops and the ring gear forces the pinion in or deflects in a way that it would cause a force and large preload on the inner pinion bearing due to the rotating mass of the tires at speed.

could that be a plausible way? i am curious here
          Last edited by justtorchit; 07-26-2012, 07:50 PM.
          Originally posted by Ktmracer419
          some people choose video games
          some choose projects
          some choose welding random things together

Comment

I was thinking the exact same thing. But my thought is as long as the pinion is spinning it shouldn't be able to jamb on the ring gear. It would essentially walk on it.
            Only way I thought of was if the wheels were locked and a ton of load on the gears and you slid into a rock. But it would be pushing it.
            Dan.
            2000 XJ, BJ 60 front, welded, 5.13's, 3 link, ruffstuff heims. D70 rear, detroit, 5.13's, discs. stretched. trail ready beadlocks. 39" Red labels. 4:1 Klune V-drive/D20, PSC full hydro

http://www.facebook.com/people/Dan-M...00000913365979
            www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

Originally posted by justtorchit View Post
              okay, here is a silly thought and i understand the crush sleave will not crush unless there is force on both sides. the pinion floats freely on the races.
              im trying to imagine in my head if there is any loading on the pinion by the ring gear. pushing the pinion(therefore creating a force against the crush collar in that direction)

so say you have alot of rotating mass (big tires spinning fast)then all of a sudden the pinion hits a rock while the hammer is down. the pinion stops and the ring gear forces the pinion in or deflects in a way that it would cause a force and large preload on the inner pinion bearing due to the rotating mass of the tires at speed.

could that be a plausible way? i am curious here

Yes but the load from the pinion gear and the yoke get translated through the bearing and into the housing therefore cannot crush the sleeve.

Even if you say the crush sleeve can crush it still will not effect preload.
              RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
              www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
              Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Originally posted by customcreationsllc View Post
                Yes but the load from the pinion gear and the yoke get translated through the bearing and into the housing therefore cannot crush the sleeve.

Even if you say the crush sleeve can crush it still will not effect preload.
                The load would be translated through the bearings... okay. But if there is a force pushing the pinion in which is possible, that means the pinion can move in a few thousands causing a preload on the inner bearing and what i will call a hard stop for the pinion. Now that the pinion is pushed in a few thousands the yoke is hit and smooshes the outer pinion bearing in and few thousands. Now you have alot of preload on both bearings and the crush collar can crush....no???? No matter if the load is transfered into the bearings, the distance between the two bearings would want to shorten (note idk how much a crush caller can spring back).

This wont effect preload because obviously the bearings cant seperate more, but the crush collar could be loose. This could cause more damage for the bearing the next time the pinion gets hit in the same situation because there is nothing holding the bearings back from getting pushed in (besides the bearing races). Bearings can go bad... then you can have a sloppy pinion.

Just a thought. Prove me wrong please because im still curious.
                Last edited by justtorchit; 07-27-2012, 10:06 AM. Reason: edit to make it a little more clear
                Originally posted by Ktmracer419
                some people choose video games
                some choose projects
                some choose welding random things together

Comment

Its impossible just look ar the picture that says it all.
                  Dizz dizz go sleep sleep

Driver 4677 FSM vehicle

Comment

It's possible. Crush collars sometimes reside on a land on the pinion, not the other bearing. If the pinion is trying to drive out of the case like it always is under load, and the flange pushes the other way, that collar can be crushed further. The "stop" is going to be when the outer pinion bearing bottoms out completely in the outer race. At a normal preload the outer pinion bearing has a slight flotation in gear oil. When setting preload it's best to douse the pinion bearings in gear oil for an accurate reading.

Comment

Originally posted by Timmay View Post
                      It's possible. Crush collars sometimes reside on a land on the pinion, not the other bearing. If the pinion is trying to drive out of the case like it always is under load, and the flange pushes the other way, that collar can be crushed further. The "stop" is going to be when the outer pinion bearing bottoms out completely in the outer race. At a normal preload the outer pinion bearing has a slight flotation in gear oil. When setting preload it's best to douse the pinion bearings in gear oil for an accurate reading.
                      You right, you right.
                      Dizz dizz go sleep sleep

Driver 4677 FSM vehicle

Comment

Originally posted by fizzy View Post
                        Its impossible just look ar the picture that says it all.
                        Originally posted by fizzy View Post
                        You right, you right.
                        .......oh.

Comment

Working...
                        X