Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If You Were To Buy A Tube Bender...

What size die would you get?

Looking to do cage and structure stuff. I could spend my time sifting through Pirate nonsence but I figured a realworld answer would be better.
    dirty30

1.75"
    - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
    or am asians pants not a read end lol.
    Originally posted by DizzDizz
    aliens probed my husband

Comment

That's what I thought, 90* or 180*?

I feel you could make a 180* with 2 90*s theoretically
      dirty30

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
        1.75"
        X2

Id go with a 180*. Less hassle if your going to me making larger then 90* bends

Comment

Any other manual benders worth considering besides the JD2 model 3?

I've heard alot of good stuff about their benders.
          dirty30

Comment

I'll get harrassed for this one, but i like 1.5" tube very much. It's cheaper by the foot (i paid a full $1.50 less per foot) and easier to bend and you can make tighter radius bends. This makes it ideal for cages inside of xj's because you can make a very tight fitting cage.

unless you're competing and the series requires 1.75", then 1.5" is going to make a cage that is plenty strong enough for any rockcrawler.

KOH only requires 1.75" tube if the vehicle weight is over 3200 or 3400 lb.s (i forget which)
            Clayton's rockcrawler buggy is made completely with 1.5" .120 wall tube

If you plan on doing tube fenders/sliders and tube bumpers, 1.5" tube is still perfect for that application too. And it's cheaper (had to say it twice )

JD2 bender is nice. get a 180 degree die. First time you gotta bend past 90* you'll be kicking yourself in the ass.
            No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
            Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Originally posted by JeepBabiiXJ View Post
              Clayton's rockcrawler buggy is made completely with 1.5" .120 wall tube
              well there ya go folks! the end all

- Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

just an example......

That 1.5" tube has taken way more abuse than your 1.75" ever will..... and i'll put money on that. hahahaha
                No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Thanks man, certainly tubing cheaperocity is nice, and I don't plan on competing in anything serious so I feel regs aren't an issue.

Henchy might go halves with me
                  dirty30

Comment

Originally posted by Hydra View Post
                    Thanks man, certainly tubing cheaperocity is nice, and I don't plan on competing in anything serious so I feel regs aren't an issue.

Henchy might go halves with me
                    Hench

ATM anyone?

Comment

My TJ & now YJ are a testament to 1.5". Best all around choice IMO.
                      -Erik
                      Miller Motorsports #4421 : 1st Overall - 2010 Ultra4 IEC Series , 2010 Line Mtn. Race Series
                      Thanks to: BFGoodrich, Spidertrax, The Axle Exchange, Metro Printing & Promo, North Jersey Jeep Club, CTM, RadFlo Shocks, Schwanke Engines, HeavyMetalConcepts, EMS Offroad

Comment

I have a 1.625" (1 5/8") 180* die. I think it is great. The reason being is you can use dirt cheap 1 1/4 pipe to mock up stuff or build rock sliders for daily drivers that don't get wheeled or firewood racks, etc. not a lot of brackets and such out there availible for that size, but 1.75" dia brackets seem to work fine, or grind out 1.5: with a round stone. Definately spend the extra for the 180* die, great for bending shock hoops, stingers, spare tire holders, etc.
                        1950 Willys Trail Rig
                        2007.5 Dodge 2500 QCSB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by JeepBabiiXJ View Post
                          just an example......

That 1.5" tube has taken way more abuse than your 1.75" ever will..... and i'll put money on that. hahahaha
                          im just glad im not in a spot where i have to compare someone elses rig to someone elses, and i have my own to worry about
                          - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

I'm building a cage out of EMT, hate all you want, shit's beef.
                            sigpic
                            Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
                              I'm building a cage out of EMT, hate all you want, shit's beef.
                              this other guys cage would be way better than yours
                              - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

Working...
                              X