welders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• welders

lookin at gettin a welder for myself finally and i just found a few on craigslist. one stood out that is an older lincoln arc machine 225AC 125DC power. comes with a helmet.

something like this should be able to do 1/4in steel no problem right? and what else would it be good for?

its close by so attractive and very cheap. it would be something to get started on and learn welding the hard way i guess from what i've been reading as opposed to starting on a miller mig machine which i know everyone here will recommend lol.

so, let's hear it! advice, opinions, anything
    Hack Shack Racing #4632 Jeep TJ

Originally posted by konastinky1234 View Post
    starting on a miller mig machine which i know everyone here will recommend lol.
    http://diy-welder.com/MIG-TIG-ARC.shtml

I don't have a single complaint about my miller 211 mig, it was worth every penny.

Comment

I learned on arc and if you can do arc mig is cake. We use it at work to do anything from 1/8" to 1/2" easily. Depending on the rod you can basically weld anything. My personal favorite welding rod is a 7018 which is a good rod for any steel and is chemical resistant. It's a very easy rod to weld with.
      I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

i also learned doing stick. It's a good starting point. Just get some scrap and some cheap rod and practice alot. i have a real old metalwork textbook with some real good pointers and reference in regards to stick. I can make some copies of the important stuff for ya.
        No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
        Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

ok thanks guys, sounds like this stick machine on craigslist would be a solid investment for me. it's only 200 bucks and i read online that this specific one is a solid machine. it is either that or there is a $150 harbor freight brand machine, same basic thing except no 125DC, only 220V i think. plus i would have to pay shipping on that and a helmet so itd go just over 200 i think. better to go with something new with a warranty or something from the name brand that's used?

Comment

My dad had like a 1983 Chicago Electric (harbor freight) and it just burnt out like 1.5 years ago.

Needless to say he got more than his money worth.

But that said the dual voltage is sweet.
            dirty30

Comment

Originally posted by Hydra View Post
              My dad had like a 1983 Chicago Electric (harbor freight) and it just burnt out like 1.5 years ago.

Needless to say he got more than his money worth.

But that said the dual voltage is sweet.
              ya, sounds like both are great brands and i can't go wrong. i guess it's just warranty vs the voltage. i think id rather have the voltage to be honest but it depends how old it is too. i'll be thinkin it over the next few weeks.

Comment

125 Amps DC will weld 1/2" thick carbon steel with 7018 1/8" wire, with a pass or two. AC is basically worthless for stick welding, at least if you want to do a nice job. You could also put an air cooled tig torch on it and scratch start TIG with it.

The only downside to those smaller machines is the duty cycle. Also if it doesn't come with leads you will need them to weld with and welding cable can be pretty costly.

I have a Miller Thuderbolt AC/DC I am ready to part with. It needs a little tinkering on the amperage adjment crank, but it welds great. I put some new diodes and output lugs in it a few years ago and have't used it much since then. If that CL deal falls through, you can check mine out, I don't want much for it as is or I will fix the adjustment for a little more.
                1950 Willys Trail Rig
                2007.5 Dodge 2500 QCSB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 4x4

Comment

Working...
                X